Nikolai

All Rhodes Lead To Rome

51 posts in this topic

Hello folks!

First game, first AAR - and we'll see how this goes. :)  

I will reload sometimes as I learn, the point is the story and my enjoyment. But I won't do it excessively, promise. :p  

The country is Rhodes, and we will follow their ups and downs as they try to dominate the Med.  One chapter should be one ruler, we are as of now a republic so that should be five year terms. 

This is me. I'm a Ruler. I lead people. And Rhodes. Someday Rhodes will be great, and I will be to thank for it. I promise! Pinky swear!
[IMG]

My term is five years long. After building lots of boats (I love boats!), and some soldiers, I sent them to Crete. We've got friends there, on Crete. I asked them and they said yes! But some advisor said they wanted to take the city I wanted and was about to. So I said, "I'll take it without a Casus Belli! I said so. It worked. My friends helps me. And MY soldiers came there first! But the people on Rhodes thought me silly. I am NOT silly!
[IMG]

Then, as we were sieging, some friends on Crete decided to ask for help to take another city. I said yes. I hope I can get that city too.
[IMG]

But before I could get my city, my term was up. I had to give the Archon title to my general. He is a nice guy. The soldiers like him. I like him too.

*sigh*
Kids... I am the Archon. I command a mighty army. You better give me respect. R-E-E-S-P-E-C-K-T. 

What? 

I'll have you head, kid!

[IMG]

Anyways. We won the war. Took the city. And got money for it. No land. The stupid kid, he didn't wait for a claim. Our allies had a claim. Can't have future targets take land and get stronger. So, money. Just you wait.

[IMG]

I didn't waste time though. Made a claim on Knossos. Turns out my grandma's brother's cousin was king. Or something.

[IMG]

War was won handily enough. Only one claim, stupid allies had other claims. Didn't get them far, though. Took Knossos, some gold, and released a city. To be consumed later.

[IMG]

Then my term was up. Stupid ulcers.

Ah! The smell of money - of opportunities! I am, as all should know, Dikaiarchos Demaratid. A man of commerce. Of worth. Of importance!

But don't tell my wife. Or my lover. They might think I'm full of myself. 

In fact, if you see my wife, tell her I'm not in. She's dreadfully expensive.

DyvErCK.png

As is only proper for a man of commerce, I seize opportunities. Rhodes need land. Lots of land. To, err...trade. Yes. Yes. Trade. And loot, if you excuse my language.

LrK8FZI.png

Alas, the war did not end before my term was over. Some people died, we are out of manpower. But that is the lot of my successor. I'm taking a cruise of the Med now, thank you.

31 minutes ago, Rhoth said:

Following. :b:

4 hours ago, Nikolai said:
In fact, if you see my wife, tell her I'm not in. She's dreadfully expensive.

Hey, he went that way.. (pointing in the opposite direction that you had really gone in)

16 hours ago, E_T said:

Hey, he went that way.. (pointing in the opposite direction that you had really gone in)

Thanks. :D;) 

Don't you love it when people do the legwork for you. A war won, me to gain the glory - my relative counting his few coins, ME gaining the spoils as I saw the war through?

My name is Arrhidaiuos Demaratid, and I will profit from this office.

kPljVLw.png

Under MY supervision, no less than THREE provinces were gained. There will be more. So what if our manpower is spent? So what if we can't get any mercenaries to do our dirty work? We have a big army, and I intend to use it. For the best of Rhodes, and for the best of my pockets.

syCfNvu.png

Our former allies the Gortyna and their feudatory Tarrha will soon be mine. I mean ours. Gortyna has a 10 year truce with us, but Tarrha does not. Gortyna just had to take the bait. Ah, people are so...dependable.

UrHr4hK.png

So we did go in the red after my precedessor mismanaged so much into his pockets, but after some creative book keeping and conquests, we're all good. 

CrhGeK7.png

Well, there is the slight problem of our army being only one third of what it was before the war, and our neighbours cancelling their agreement and claiming our land. But I am off to the beaches, that is problem for the next guy.

1 hour ago, Nikolai said:
So we did go in the red after my precedessor mismanaged so much into his pockets, but after some creative book keeping and conquests, we're all good. 

First rule of politics: blame the last guy for everything.

First rule of succession games too. ;)

3 hours ago, Rhoth said:

First rule of politics: blame the last guy for everything.

First rule of succession games too. ;)

We should definitely do one of those. ;) If you're interested in spoilers for my game, look no further than the Honorum thread btw. Game tonight were WILD.

Hello, it's me. Again. Third time's the charm they say. Not that I did bad the other two times. I think. I mean, I got friends and Rhodes is much bigger now than when I first took office. Just look at this:

XQPIKlT.png

My friend Arrhidaios begun to build a big statue. It's almost like a toy solider. Only big. I was so happy when it got finished. It brought money to Rhodes. I think that is good.

ZRBQcOo.png
8T5CI08.png

And then it was my friend Antisthenes Demaratid's turn to be Archon. He's a nice guy.

25 minutes ago, godking said:

Big statue, tourist attraction!

Don't you mean a....COLOSSAL...statue? :lol:

Man, what a ride. I was destined to this. Destined. Ordained by the gods. 

First, Antisthenes was elected Archon. 

ubC9BBW.png

He died.

0lzKdu8.png

Then the imbecile Euthykrates claimed the office.

WZZl55r.png

He declared war in the Peleponnes.

qGdYavI.png

Then subsequently died four months later. Making me the Chosen by the gods. 

oOiuvqV.png

The war was naturally won. The gods are on our side. Naturally. It went so well, our rank among the nations rose to hitherto unseen hights. All in a day's work.

hxHPjRo.png
XTpQty6.png

But, alas, the gods are cruel. Egypt took notice and declared war upon us.

tzXK0wS.png

Then again, the gods are fickle. What could have been a disaster, turned out better. The Egyptians went into civil war.

EsPKWqK.png

While they fought among themselves, we held the Olympic Games. The gods favor us and the peoples of the world liked us even more. All was good.

3h7sOCv.png
nT8DtMK.png

Seeing as the gods favored us, but knowing we might still get invaded, I got appointed Dictator. Good times.

KbdvveI.png

The war ended a year later, no blood spilt. The gods are merciful!

XPszbJ2.png

And so my watch was ended. Unfortunately, the gods decided to "bless" us with a populist. Ugh.

Hello the people! I am your man. The man of the people, as you might say. Some call us populists...ugly things. I am here to tell you this is not true. We are men of the people - YOUR representative at the top of society!

6pgnffO.png

I am told we are out of manpower. Thankfully Lycia is not a problem for our mighty forces! We will make them part of Rhodes. The people wills it!

BkubrB2.png

Oh sh.......

LGFkDRf.png

Quick! Annex Lycia! For the people!

25Q3Q55.png

Oh sh......

7Cv8qlB.png

Well, well. Gotta go! You know, when a man's gotta go and all that. Sayonara!

Notice how my treasury is what is saving me here, my entire army is gone save 800 brave men. :D:D Long live mercenaries! :D:D

6 hours ago, Nikolai said:

Notice how my treasury is what is saving me here, my entire army is gone save 800 brave men. :D:D Long live mercenaries! :D:D

I had the same thing in my playthrough.  I ran out of men, but that freed up a LOT of cashflow to spend on mercenaries.

Slaves! Slaves everywhere! Before this war started, we had barely 20 odd census units of them. After having fought Phrygia for a while, we were up to over 60! As the benevolent ruler I am, I personally approved the emancipation of 26 census units to freemen. I'm a nice guy like that. They won't move back home though. There are limits.

gqO1jd6.png

I'm Philon Gylippid by the way. Pleasure to make your aquaintance.

dt1Sb8i.png

The war ended with us claiming the province of Milyas and some gold by the way. Effectively doubling our presence in Anatolia.

LXuysr3.png

However, the war against Aetolia goes pretty much downhill. We are in no way able to press back. I see the writing on the wall here. And Right before the end of my term, Macedon decided to take the fight to us. Heavens have mercy on us!

59Dc3hK.png

Thankfully, the new Archon has direct access to the gods!

Never show weakness to a Paradox AI. :lol:

12 hours ago, Rhoth said:

Never show weakness to a Paradox AI. :lol:

I´m not weak, dammit! :lol: Just temporarily weakened. :lol: 

7 hours ago, Spaced Cowboy said:

The God's giveth, the God's taketh away.

´Tis true.

Woe me. Woe. Woe I say! I am Antisthenes Demaratid and I had to forsake the Greek mainland to Aeotolia. History will surely remember me well, I´m afraid.

CbfwY0o.png
DtpZJd2.png

That is all there is to say. The Macedons are not invading after our mercenaries sent them packing from Anatolia. But they are numberous over there.

tc2eCYw.png

The military faction is taking over now. May they be of the more blessed sort.

Attention!

This country is in danger, and will be ruled as such; with strict dicipline! I am Kelearchos Demaratid and I am you Archon; your commander. Obey!

ee0UBnI.png

First of all: With the Macedon pig's defeat in Anatolia, we soon secured a white peace. One day. One day we will return the favor and take the fight to them. I swear by the gods.

lOOSRYq.png

Secondly, our forces together with our rebuilt military will crush these Phrygian dogs that dares to declare on us. They consider us weak. We are not.

jWkYlfW.png

Unfortunately the war was not won when my term was up. This Hektor has a second chance to redeem himself.

Well then. The people's choice is back in town! And just in time to score some points and slaves from the Phrygians! Life is good!

4cfgea5.png

After five years of looting and, frankly, winning the war all by myself from my popular p(a)lace in Rhodes, I was, unfortunately, required to give the honor of signing the peace to Mnesidemos. He's all about money, that bastard.

wu7FbMp.png

Heeeeeeelloooooo everybody! I am the one to make you rich! And you! And you! Slaves, land and money everywhere!

YFqaC5b.png

I, the great Mnesidemos, gave you all this! Remember it, and prosper!