Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buster's Uncle

Getting what needs fixing here fixed

45 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, Rhoth said:

I think it would be great fun if there were a Civ6 democracy game again.  The aborted Norway game during the run-up to the release of Civ6 was fun (only Donald could play the game at the time since he had a pre-release version, but there was a fair amount of discussion about city placement, etc.).  But once the game officially released everyone played their own games and by the time talk of a new democracy game came about the regulars were "Civved out".  I remember E_T trying to get one going, but there was no interest.

[/quote]

and I remember that one thing that also stopped the formation (or possibly some people coming back from other sites) was the malware issue that was almost timed to make the rebuilding of a new DG a dead issue.  BU can confirm that in the run up to Civ6, I was on several other sites making attempts to get things moving.  But then, RL also intruded and I needed to use my limited bandwidth and time to do something else and did get rimworld to work on my old WinXP system.

I have yet to try the new Civ6 on this laptop, but if it can do Stellaris, it can likely do Civ.  But my interest at this time is not Civ focused and it won't be for some months (partly due to my Cancer, etc.).

As for MP, that's problematical because of the way peace deals for cities work in Civ6.  It invites a total war philosophy because players don't want to give up their cities that they've lost to other players.  I ran into that in a PBEM style game early on in Civ6 life, and it soured me on the MP prospect.  They're unlikely to change that, so I don't see myself able to play MP or PBEM games.

That's why we did a succession game for Stellaris instead, and are working on starting another one now that the 2.02 patch is final.

And I agree, without a viable replacement for Pitboss and/or PBEM in the upcoming Civ's, I don't see the Civ community coming back here in droves, no matter whom is driving the ship.

In some respects, BU, it's almost (emphasis on almost) a pipe dream.  If Solver doesn't pull the plug some unknown time in the future, I DO see some spartan, but still semi-active usage of this site into the unknown future.  If it's here, they will come when they want to...

Gotta get the word out where people on the market for what this community offers can find it, first - and luring back the good departed members to the new, virtually drama-free WPC is the most promising part of that.

You wouldn't be up to trying to get some 4 MP band-back-together-action if I complied that master email sucker list?

I've been looking for the Beta-pic incident this morning, and I didn't need reminding that those were good times, but reminded, I am.  -A little of it could feasibly be revived.  Pitboss could be worked out...

Folks, I totally confirm that my man E_T has always been the King of Recruiting to build this place, outside my circle in AC.  He WAS doing as he said - and has WPC in his sig at AC2, and openly engaged in recruiting there yesterday, like I already mentioned.  Be like him that way, y'all; it works.

A few remarks on pulling the plug here - it's not something you guys have to be concerned about either. Unless I get hit by a bus, the site isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future. It costs me almost nothing to keep online, in terms of money and, more importantly, time. The necessary maintenance is on the order of 15 minutes every 6 months, and that much I can do. And if the time comes to turn off the lights, I would by far prefer to keep the site online as a read-only archive instead of taking it down entirely. I really don't like how easily a lot of online content disappears. There are troves of fantastic pages that vanish within a few short years.

The Civ community is actually pretty great at content preservation, a lot of content dating back even 20 years still exists, including through BU's amazing job for the SMAC parts.

Thank you, Solver.  We'll try to keep things interesting.  But please, don't vanish for months at a time, either.  Even a monthly post in the Freudian Experiment thread every once in a while helps to let us know that you do care (and that your still here)...

By the way, just as always, I can be quickly reached over email if anyone needs me. I'll almost always see an email on the same day.

7 hours ago, Buster's Uncle said:

You wouldn't be up to trying to get some 4 MP band-back-together-action if I complied that master email sucker list?

I've been looking for the Beta-pic incident this morning, and I didn't need reminding that those were good times, but reminded, I am.  -A little of it could feasibly be revived.  Pitboss could be worked out...

E_T?  Anyone?

I was wondering why uNo didn't poast here any longer. We are all older and now have different priorities, and I don't think many of us have an issue with how things are going. Solver said he would keep the site around almost indefinitely. If someone decides they want to stand up and take it over that would be great. In the meantime, Ill pop in occasionally to see whats going on. If it disappears some day, I guess Ill just move on. I was a lot more involved at MZO and it didn't take me long to move on from that. I just don't play computer games all that much any longer. I pop in occasionally to see what the old guys are doing.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:55 AM, Buster's Uncle said:

the world being FULL of Our Kind of People who haven't gone down the Facebook or Reddit rabbit holes, and would love it here and fit in if only they knew WPC was a thing, and found more activity here to look like a promising place to join.  One or two signups of Live Ones a year could make this place immortal...

100s of thousands of literate pedants who love or would love TBS 4x gaming but just haven't found the online fan community yet  are out there - and good news! It's not possible to reach them all.  100 of crazy me pulling together couldn't do it.  The level of effort I deem possible to persuade the membership to assay would only be good for one or two NZCamels a year who'd take, but that immortal thing then, but still the quiet, low-drama operation y'all have become attached to. :nod:

Otherwise, too many of you will have another kid or other RL complication like new job and/or death, and then WPC is an archive in five years or less.

Roth, I nominate you as chairman of the Citizen Council of Those Who Care Enough, as the staffer most likely to be available when needed, and also not denying the lifecycle problem and being tempted by nostalgia for the glory days.  Thing is, democracy is great, but I never walked back saying in the OP that forums can't function that way; staff has to, at minimum, hold veto and actually push the buttons to implement forum-arrangement actions and do page-top announcements and promote fun activity goodies and so on.  It has to be Rob to move Other Games to the top of the root; admin function.

Thing is, Roth, and get this: there's no one to stop you taking initiative.  Why would  anyone object?  I bring a certain bossy-member attitude to the table, and a certain facility for the motivational essays, and that's not  you, not Rob, absolutely not my l'il boy genius buddy Nik - but you could assume greater responsibly for the entire site.  Be a little more forward with your opinions and trying to help and encourage other members.  Persuade  when you see something that needs to be done, or not done.  Orders are for draftees, kids and management failure/emergencies otherwise.  Screw TELLING anyone what to do.

BE  the Captain citizen-servant-coordinator of the Enterprise WPC, Mister Spock Rhotharil; FIND a reason to spare the Halkans ways to make WPC run better/healthier and make it stick! (We're talking about extra minutes a day, on average, y'know, making all the difference.)

-Can I get a little "Captain Kirk Buncle; I shall consider it" action here?

Just to rat out Solver on something - after I burned hours yesterday trying to track down my first-ever moderation of a human, yesterday, I told Solver the key posts of 8 November 2011 were missing from My and Beta's post histories -the Boreanez Incident- MUST be in the missing-since-migration Civ4 MP sub forum.   Yo!  That's where all the missing AC subs coming back from the dead yesterday afternoon came from.  SOLVER GOT OFF HIS DEAD BUTT AND DID SOMETHING YESTERDAY, Y'ALL!  -Nagging him to do same for said 4 MP -and also the two missing 5 subs I recall being the rest, because what the heck- I leave to others.

-Can I get a little "Captain Kirk Buncle; I shall consider it" action here?

I honestly do not have any clue how to run a website or how to do the things that would make WPC what you envision Buncle.

My preferences are to be an end user, and either discuss games or create content for other people to read (such as AARs) based on those games.  I'm happy being a mod and being able to make small changes (such as, for example, when E_T needed a post of his edited the other day, or to create the AAR list for Stellaris), but beyond that I'm not your guy.

Maybe.  Not sure I believe you.

Look, Nik can attest that I know my [poop] and will really hang in there with coaching if you're willing to try at all.  That sort of nuts-and-bolts is boring for public discussion -PMs- but do re-read the two paragraphs before I went literally Kirk on you, and do consider it.  I'm talking modest effort - it's quiet here, Rob (and whomever else may hammer bots and cleans up) does the Janitor function superbly already, and if there's much call for actual people moderating here, I sure don't know about it, and that's unlikely to change significantly.

I'd be after Rob a lot more to step up if I thought he'd be around more and there was any chance he'd commit, and Nik's got that sweet Astrid luv going, and you're the Postman; if you don't, who will?  Just pledge to serve this community as First Speaker and play the rest by ear.  I'm more than available for private advice, and will stop embarrassing you publically if  you'll make that small commitment.

Otherwise, nominate someone else better, because SOMEone must do it.

Breaking personal Vegas blatantly to add that Solver and I are Skype-arguing right now, but he ADMITS that teh Roth is "suitable", great praise from the source while dragging heels...

BACK to citizen-soldier chipping in for the community -by far the most important part, who has buttons not mattering as long as nut-and-bolts janitor stuff gets done- I call on E_T, a the best citizen volunteer in the entire history of this forum who wasn't a SMACer to speak up about what he did in the glory days of cIV MP with organizing and recruiting.

I nominate E_T as the chairman of the Doing What It Takes To Have On-Topic Fun Committee.  He knows what to do and has proven it.  Listen to E_T if he'll play ball, and follow his suggestions.

Screw buncle; he has to deal with the elephants in the room and establish his bona fides as knowing what he's talking about, but talks about himself too much as a result, runs too long, and is not a regular for six years now and never will be again.  WPC needs to save itself, and must.

Talk about your knowledge of the members having the power in their own hands, E_T, if only they'll take initiative.  Take point, and that little bit of leadership your RL circumstances permit...  Please.

ET just started treatment for cancer.  Seriously? 6 months to a year from now maybe. Not now.

Totally serious.  He's up to posting sounds-like-always.  He's not working and potentially bored.  Okay, he's got a better excuse than usual to get out of things if he wants while he's browsing lying on his side, but I expect on his better days, he could use the odd long-term project.  He's not lazy.  Are you serious?  Never been around a long illness?  Surely you have.

The man's living with it.  He said so.

Ooookay.  I went away for 45 minutes or so to think after I saw that.  I see I'm under attack for praising someone to the sky.  -From two numbskulls who don't know why I left, and why I have zero tolerance for being ganged up on at WPC, a place I will never feel safe posting, since 6 February 2012 to the end of time.

No big show, no all-caps, no swearing, just bitterness that this is what I get for trying.  Enjoy your dead forum when the coma slips into death soon, and forget this thread.

"Ganged up on"?  "Under attack"?  Because someone told you "no"?  :rolleyes:

Look, the point is we're all busy one way or another.  I have a sometimes stressful job; I have a family I like to spend time with; I have a gaming hobby that I like to enjoy and occasionally write about.  Other people have other things going on in their lives that takes up their time.

We all like this forum and don't want it to go away, which it won't according to Solver.  But beyond that, it's just not a big forum anymore.  People will come back if they want to come back, not before.  I don't have the technical know-how or simple desire to run a website, nor do I have the gumption to learn how.  I enjoy doing what I do on this site.  That's it.

I appreciate that you're passionate about the site.  But telling people they need to do this and this, then complaining when they tell you no (or in my case you told me "I don't believe you") is not the way to go about it.

3 people like this

That doesn't dig any deeper, 'cause you're all right, Roth - but the point stands, and I don't much care for people telling me I'm not being ganged up on and then dancing too close to taking the other side.  You did better than most not dancing over.  Internet people make me tired sometimes.

BU is requesting this to be closed, and i agree this conversation has probably run its course.