Rhoth

The Calling of Nharr - Stellaris Succession Game AAR

307 posts in this topic

It gets BETTER.  The Yeon - the newly sentient species on Xolton 1a, have the 'Earthbound' trait that gives them +100% garrison health and +50% fortification bonus.  The second of those is worthless (the enemy is just going to wait until our fortification level is zero before attacking), but the first part might come in handy if we can train up an army before they invade.

The army is going to take a while, though... 2 months per unit.

Thankfully, we can train up clone troopers back in our home systems and ship a few out there as well.

Mixed so far.  The enemy has wiped out our nascent colony in the far southwest and taken out our frontier outpost down there, too.  We've fortified some of our other systems and started building the first defensive bases (just to slow down his fleet by acting as roadblocks).  We've wiped out a couple of his defenses near our border in the northeast, but I had to run back home when I realized his fleet was coming toward me and has level 2 hyperdrives while we only have level 1 hyperdrives.

Until we can get some more defensive stations up to slow him down, it's going to be a little rough.  He has the advantage of numbers AND maneuverability right now.

My fleet goal was to basically draw off their fleet by running into their space and taking out their stations.  I assumed we would end up losing our fleet, but hope to take out the slave fleets & their army fleets in the process, and to then quickly rebuild our fleet.  All of our space stations are capable of building any ship - so putting them all into queue at all our stations will make simultaneous builds fleet rebuilding quick.  A corvette spam will work wonders here - once our existing fleet is toast and hopefully toasted in a productive way.  Once battle is joined, I would pause, spam 5 corvettes and 1 BB per station until out of minerals, and then hopefully rebuild.  

Also, our offensive army will make a good defender if you really think it can take out their army.  I wouldn't waste it, but taking out their army is a good way of putting the AI on a WTF do I do now and giving us more time.

Oh, and see above on my idiocy on how to at least start to solve the energy crisis with the spiral hubs.  

It appears that either I am looking in the wrong spot, or I did something wrong, and I cannot find my screenshots.... Homer Simpson moment... sorry.

F11 is in \Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\screenshots

F12 goes into the cloud somewhere (if you choose to keep them on game exit), don't use that one myself.

Mine are in Program Files / Steam / userdata / ###### / 760 / remote / ###### / screenshots

where the first # is seemingly my user account # and the second # is the code for Stellaris.

As for the game, unlikely to be much tonight.  I've got a 7 month old in my lap at the moment.  If I was just going to watch turns go by, sure, but not for needing to micromanage a war.  Gives extra time for people to offer helpful suggestions on winning the war, though.

GK - I'd dearly like to understand your fleet composition strategy.  I'm not sure how to maintain whatever fleet balance you were seeking.

I'm really happy I'm not at the helm right now...:bounce:

I had no fleet balance.  I built about 10-15 battleships, and a bunch of frigates, before the war began.  

I mostly play with a 20-10-10-50 fleet size, with 75% torp frigates and the rest interceptors to kill enemy frigates, and BB 80%+ ship killers and the rest carriers.

2 hours ago, godking said:

I had no fleet balance.  I built about 10-15 battleships, and a bunch of frigates, before the war began.  

I mostly play with a 20-10-10-50 fleet size, with 75% torp frigates and the rest interceptors to kill enemy frigates, and BB 80%+ ship killers and the rest carriers.

Damn.  I was hoping there was some brilliant hidden method to the apparent madness.

Well, we're one year into the war and things are going better than might be expected so far (which isn't saying much).

We successfully raided south into Ymacera territory to raid Miziram before scurrying back north to avoid the Ymacera fleet.  The gambit worked, though, because their fleet chased us rather than moving to invade Xolton 1a.  This, in turn, allowed us to reinforce Xolton 1a with 10 of our assault armies (along with the defensive armies we built on-site).

He did wipe out our starbase in the Ziris system, which is having an impact on our finances.  It should take a year to rebuild it.  Transfering funds from our sector governors (you can do that now, by the way) and building more power plants is helping there, but we need a better long-term solution.

Some of our defensive stations are now up to act as temporary speed bumps for the enemy fleet, though he's yet to run over any of them.

A year has given us plenty of time to build up our own armies in the core sector (to replace the troops we've landed on Xolton 1a and Earth), but the enemy fleet is now reportedly headed back to Xolton 1a to renew the siege.

With that in mind, I figure I'll wait until he's almost there before sending our fleet into his territory again for another raid (just to draw him back north and waste his time).  If I can hunt down his transport fleet, that'd be awesome, but I'm not counting on pulling that off when he has Level 2 hyperdrives and we have Level 1 hyperdrives.  The moment we start knocking over starbases, he's going to turn around and catch us before we can get back past our speed bumps.

OVERALL STRATEGY:

The overall strategy right now is pretty simple: waste his time, get him chasing after our fleet to give us time to reinforce our defenses, and just play out the clock until the price of peace becomes bearable.  The corvette force GK started at Earth could opportunistically go after his transports if he leaves them vulnerable, but he's been careful so far (AI has clearly gotten better at that...).  If he also somehow gets locked down in an endless siege of Xolton or Earth, I might try to go bombard his home planet (which produces an incredible amount of energy and might be worth knocking over to put his income into the red), but that's unlikely.

The really critical problem will be if he succeeds in taking planets, as the warscore he accumulates will make a waiting approach much more difficult, even if the impact on peace terms does get easier.  Force preservation for our fleet is also critical because the peace terms are impacted by the relative size of our fleet.  So, yeah... we're basically fighting for as close to a draw as we can manage.  We can't really win this.

Current map of the (northern) theatre:

Year1inwar.thumb.jpg.2d851940448e0c1415c91473498ef9b7.jpg

I think it is winnable, but not in the sense of totally dominating them.

Hit and run tactics will work, and we have such a huge surplus of minerals and an enormous construction capacity that will work for us.  A frigate we can spam out one a month per space station.  Battleships are 200 day constructions.  So, frigate spam them with the occasional BB hard point.  Ya, we will lose a lot of our existing fleet, but so be it.  The big worry I have is that if we use our fleet to start the trading (and it is always unbalanced at first - we will take out 10-15% of their fleet for all of ours) but we can replace it much better than the AI can.  We also can focus on their transports and keep our planets intact.  

They will easily chase us, and go after us, and we can just sit there and make them follow us around.  

At the end of the day we might get 1-2 planets, or at least a draw.  But, it is doable.  

Biggest fear is that if we burn our first fleet, than we may get war dec'd by someone else.

The year is now 2283 and the war crawls on.  3 years of war and he's yet to take a single one of our planets - I'm considering this a major accomplishment so far.

Better yet, we're leading in war score.  By raiding some of his colonies and wiping out his starbases and stray fleets (particularly with our new defensive bases), we've been chipping away at improving war score while he alternates between moving his doom stack toward our own fleet or toward Xolton 1a.  By playing cat-and-mouse with our fleet during raiding operations (move in, hit a target, get the hell out) he switches targets to Xolton 1a every time our fleet gets out of his sensor range.

Meanwhile, we've fortified most of our planets, with Xolton 1a particularly fortified now with the maximum allotment of defensive troops and a few extra assault troops along with a defensive general, ground combat-focused governor, and our ground combat-focused High Inquisitor.  He can probably still win sieges, but we can at least bleed him for it (plus there's at least some outside chance of bleeding a good bit???).  I'd love to have psi troops right about now.

Current Peace Terms Situation:

Warscore: +1 (yay!)
Relative Fleet Size: +5 (this has eroded from +7 as he's beefed up his fleet)
Length of War: -32
NET: -26

Cost of various concessions:

Destroy Frontier Outpost in Esmyke - 9
Humilation - 10
Cede Roich (Ziris System) - 21
Cede Groro (Alphecca System) - 21
Cede Zichash (Yon System) - 21

Frankly, I'm not sure why he's so fixated on Xolton 1a for his invasion forces.

Recent tech acquired:
- Loop Institute
- Alien Zoo
- Armored Torpedoes

Currently researching:

- Positronic AI
- Biolab II
- Impulse Thruster

Current War Strategy:

Continue hit-and-run attacks and playing cat-and-mouse with the enemy fleet.  Avoid direct engagements.  Pick off stray ships and use defensive bases to snag his reinforcements from disconnected systems.  Try to run out the clock.  Continue fortifying Xolton 1a (with a defensive base in addition to its now-maxed starbase) to give at least a LITTLE bleeding to his fleet if he makes it there.

I'm tempted to create a second save and just see what happens when he actually invades (if I do nothing to distract him with my fleet), but might prefer doing that only AFTER I've passed off the save and the war is over.

It's now 2284 and our Tebadoran allies have won their war against the Jas'Gavaz Hierarchy (who are in a second war with another party).

We've wiped out the defenses over another enemy colony and our fleet is headed back to safety at the moment.

Peace negotiation balance is now at -21 (same costs as above).  We can get out of this war for a single planet now, but I think we can probably do better as long as we let the war drag out.

June 2284 and the cost of peace is down to -17.  We also have a choice on a new tradition.  The high inquisitor, while certainly tempted by Warrior Mindset (+25% army damage), has chosen to go with Fleet Logistics Corps (-10% ship upkeep), given our severe energy deficit (due to surpassing our supply limit).

We've also gained 500 energy from another empire in a trade.

The Jas'Gavaz offered us a non-aggression pact, which we've declined (given the likelihood that our allies will want to fight them again).

Finished Biolab II.  Started on Doctrine: Fleet Support (Crew Quarters, Engineering Bay).  I figure we'll need it to reduce the cost of our fleet once the war is over.

2285.  We just knocked over all of his stations in the Collodor system and are fleeing back north as his own fleet arrives near Xolton to chase us.

20171117225803_1.thumb.jpg.6bbf9b895c126351237721bb2e343e60.jpg

August 2285:

- Doctrine: Fleet Support is complete.  Started research on Galactic Administration (+1 Civic Slots, Empire Capital-Complex)
- Peace negotiations are now at -14
- Enemy fleet is headed back to his homeworld.  I wonder if that's to repair, upgrade, or simply because he's not focused right now on taking out any of our colonies.

Finished research on Barrier Point-Defense (Level 2 laser-based point defense). Started research on Physics Lab II (we really need all of these upgrades...).

Our fleet is headed for their northern area with our transports and allied fleets behind us.  No sign of the enemy fleet - maybe our fleet going on the offensive will draw them out, though?

May 2286:

- Finished research on Impulse Thruster.   Started on Engineering Facility II (we really haven't researched ANY of these before?)
- Allied fleets are all consolidating themselves up in our homeworld area for some stupid reason.  Withdrawing our attack fleet as the enemy main fleet now chases it westward (we'll probably lose the starbase at Ziris again).

Damnit.  Another system crash (this has happened twice during tonight's sessions - is the vanilla version less stable than the version with the expansions?).

Anyhow, didn't lose much.  We're in January 2286 with the allied fleets streaming through our territory while trying to consolidate their fleets.

The price of peace is down to -9, which neatly overlaps with the price of our frontier outpost in Esmeke.

Thoughts?

Nevermind.  -9 means you need something of 10 value for the enemy to accept.  The only way to end the war at minimal cost would have been humiliation.  Not taking that deal if it's avoidable.

The war drags on.

Our frontier outpost has now been lost because the enemy fleet is intent on chasing our allies' through our territory.  By attack Collodor again (bombing it and bringing troops), he's turned around to move all the way around his empire to stop us, though.  This is preferable to him running through our home systems knocking over our starbases trying to get at the allied fleets.

Cost of peace is down to -8, though.