Rhoth

The Calling of Nharr - Stellaris Succession Game AAR

307 posts in this topic

No, Ymacera  waited until I was engaged with taking the vassal and attacked as part of a federation.  Crazy war.  Details in the AM.

16 hours ago, Spaced Cowboy said:

No, Ymacera  waited until I was engaged with taking the vassal and attacked as part of a federation.  Crazy war.  Details in the AM.

I restarted my turn, war was not that bad, but I was playing under the influence, so too many mistakes were made.  I will only be playing when not totally buzzed from now on.

Drugs, okay, yeah, 6 fingers of Scotch and a cigar.  I don't live in Colorado after all.

Anyway to tired to post results of the first 5 years tonight (cowgirl want to continue binge watching DD S2).  The first 5 years were pretty boring, but some key decisions were made.  For some reason Ymacera did not declare yet, and I did not do much differently at this point.

But good to know that the game can play differently, even off the same save.   I promise to get the results posted tomorrow.

Spaced Cowboys 2nd turn, part 1.

Okay, about 5 years in.  Did some research, mainly focusing on getting the auto-cannons to level 3 so I could make a decent interceptor (corvette).  I upgrades all ships including the existing science and constructors to jump drives.  One of the first things that I did was declare on Rothak Republic and cancel the NAP with Jas' Gavaz Hierarchy.  They are weak and they are going to be picked apart...we need a piece.

wI9NSwT.png

War did not last long.  Jump drives are the bomb.  According to the lasted Wiki page, they do not accelerate the arrival of the crisis.  So upgrading is a no brainer.  The Great Tebadoran Combine's research agreement timed out so we upped it for 30 years.

ZVFfsOA.png

War was over in a heartbeat as all i needed to do was take the home world.

4V5ldc7.png

My first shot, and I went for form federation so my defensive pact allies might be a help in an offensive war.

ZHxHXKZ.png

It is now 2337.01.05 and the Ymacera did not declare on me like they did in the other timeline.  Maybe they still will though.  I am personally waiting for the Jas' Gavaz Hierarchy to time out so i can go for them.  The K'Taknor Kingdom and the Great Tebadoran Combine are currently at war with them so they are weak and I want their lower planets. (to add to my stream as a my vassal is near).

I forgot to mention that i settles the two planets in my home system and the other one near Sol with the newly acquired race to the north (icy preference).  No more update until Friday.  I have the day off, so will start in the AM on that day...100% not buzzed ;)

Spaced Cowboy's 2nd Turn, Part 2.

"In space, no one can hear you scream."  This turn is screaming from the sheer boredom of nothing going on (no wars for you).

Since I cancelled the NAP with the Jas' Gavaz Hierarchy was back in the beginning of my turn, I was waiting out the ten years of truce so I could declare on them and potentially vassalize the Ess' Jaggon Imperium who were in a defensive pact with them.  So I spent time trading, and building up my planets, and fleet/capacity. 

These guys needed energy apparently, so they offered up some metal and I said yes.

Piyr0rW.png

Meanwhile the Great Tebadoran Combine took their slice out of the Jas' Gavaz Hierarchy, The K' Taknor Kingdom was also at war with the JGH.

q5ueuSD.png

Then these guys really needed energy; took it; no questions asked.

YwQ3rTj.png

Next I re-upped the research agreement with the K' Taknor Kingdom and threw in an active sensor link so I could follow their war with the Jas' Gavaz Hierarchy

aPiT6vt.png

Still have a defensive pact with these guys and the existing research agreement timed out.  They have a wee bit of a lead on us in tech.  We have energy to spare with our fleet sitting.

LgEjrv8.png

I forgot to take a screen shot, but these guys above (one of our best allies) guaranteed the Jas' Gavaz Hierarchy two months before my truce with them timed out.  I was so pissed, so I just waited and build up, but really wanted to get that going.  However, not at the cost of losing one of my best allies. 

So this is interesting, The Sleeper awakens 2342.10.30

xhlpjvl.png

Meanwhile, the resource trade timed out and I took the opportunity to renegotiate for dark matter and a 20% research boost.

b8B7Rgm.png

Solid turn portion.  Quite a haul in terms of minerals for rebuilding, and the dark matter is always good to have.  Too bad about the Jaz-Gavaz.  Are we unable to declare on the Ess jaggons, or is it because they also have a defensive pact with the K-Taknors?

Also umm...it looks like the Ymacera joined the Screk federation as their color changed to the Screk color.  Is that true?  If so that could be bad, and you going for a federation could become even more important to get the Tebadorans and maybe the Qells into a pact with us.

Spaced Cowboy's 2nd Turn, Part 3.

I've only had one awakened Fallen Empire before, but I won that game before they became a problem.  I was not sure how to respond to this so I just ignored it. (Scared???)  I hope that was the right choice.

FsNhJSU.png

Meanwhile the Ymacera Jerks (and their fancy pants federation) declared on my now defunct target (Ess' Jaggon Imperium) and pulled in The Alliance of Qell as they had a guarantee on the Ess' Jaggon Imperium, as well as the Jas' Gavaz Hierarchy who were allied.  I could not even hear my sigh over the sounds of my screams...in space.  LOL

sJjjwBC.png

Then the K' Taknor Kingdom settled with the Jas' Gavaz Hierarchy and took 7 planets leaving them with 3 off in the corner, somehow I managed to sneak a colony ship in that same corner which blew up my influence reserves.  But there were two habitable planets there and both are in work.  I think it came out of a war goal from the previous war.  Once my colony ship landed I had none of my population there, only a Jas' Gavaz Hierarchy alien.  That was weird.

qMjgFD7.png

Since we lost our Teldar crystals from the war above, I negotiated with the new owner to get them back.

fna56Jy.png

Awakened empire on the prowl.  During this war I was able to see their fleet strength.  It is over 300k, yikes.  It chewed through the K' Taknor Kingdom like butter and not even a scratch.

zL77Bca.png

I decided that even though I was low on influence it was time to integrate my vassal.  This turned my influence gain slightly negative, but would not drain it.

puW9ujL.png

I also was watch the Ymacera war and saw the Alliance of Qell got his fleet stack wiped.  Probably should have been more aggressive here and tried to get my allies to come and have it out with them on my terms, but still stinging from the truce timeout, so I was trying just to make it to the end of my turn.

But them it happened, the Alliance of Qell decided to withdraw his guarantee, so the door reopened.  I selected the war goals as shown for the following reasons.  I invited the Great Tebadoran Combine in with the promise of a planet (ain't gonna happen).  I will vassalize both empires and I was worried that I would get drawn into the Ymacera was as a result.  So I did not want to do that alone.  I have had both happen to me in this game (being drawn in, and just has that war stopped) so was being cautious.  This was should be over quick.  I think I'll have enough war score by just occupying the Jas' Gavaz Hierarchy home world.

x4aYTmi.png

And so that's how I "Leave it to Beaver."  The home world siege is just starting, sorry to pass off a war, but this one should be over quick.

lQPqiqv.png

10 minutes ago, Rhoth said:

Solid turn portion.  Quite a haul in terms of minerals for rebuilding, and the dark matter is always good to have.  Too bad about the Jaz-Gavaz.  Are we unable to declare on the Ess jaggons, or is it because they also have a defensive pact with the K-Taknors?

We have a NAP with them too.

8 minutes ago, Rhoth said:

Also umm...it looks like the Ymacera joined the Screk federation as their color changed to the Screk color.  Is that true?  If so that could be bad, and you going for a federation could become even more important to get the Tebadorans and maybe the Qells into a pact with us.

Yeah, forgot to mention that federation was one of my first choices on Unity, then I finished off the Supremacy tab to get the 15% fire rate bonus.  I also did not post any of my tech choices, but nothing really special there.  I tried to get our two allies into a federation as well, but they are not interested due to their racial makeup. 

And yes Ymacera is in that federation.

E_T I merged our discussion into the main Stellaris thread to keep this one focused more on the succession game.  Check there for continuation.

Regarding the Awakened Empire, that may be a good thing for us, but it could also be really bad.  Submitting to them would have meant that we would be unable to declare war on anyone, plus you would have lost the vassal.  The other thing that the xenophile specific AE does is to ban slavery, which was a problem for me when I submitted to one when I had a carefully crafted slave empire, but in that game I was directly adjacent to them and had no choice.  In this game they would have to go through the Ymacera and their federation to get to us (hopefully their jump drives can't reach us otherwise), which might or might not be a good thing.

Was not sure on how to handle the Awakened Empire.  I thought bowing down was not the right option...they would own the galaxy and win the game?

Each type of Awakened Empire has a different focus. 

• Xenophiles want you to sign a galactic peace treaty which means no wars of conquest.  Problematical if you're not large enough to fight them (and also since we can't settle any space based habitats to grow tall that way).  They will go to war to force you to sign the treaty, but then mostly leave you alone, but it's a fairly boring "alone" since you can't go to war with anyone except the AE.
  • Xenophobes are the ones that want to conquer, though if you become their thrall it's not horrible.  You can't colonize and you have to pay them in minerals and energy, but you can go to war with other thralls.
  • Spiritualists are probably the most problematical for an average nation since they force you to convert to a Fanatic Spiritualist/Authoritarian ethos as well as pay them minerals and energy, but I think you can still go to war elsewhere (don't quote me though).  For us, since we are already fanatic Spiritualist, it's not that big of a deal.  We'd lose Militarist and pick up Authoritarian, but we wouldn't be completely boned by the change.
  • Materialists are the easiest since they only demand a portion of your research capability but otherwise leave you alone.  Again I think you can still go to war, but I'm not positive.
  • I haven't played far enough into a campaign to see a robot AE yet, but we're not playing with Synthetic Dawn anyway.

I haven't had a whole lot of experience being an AE thrall lately as I tend to try to avoid becoming one unless I'm right on the border of an AE, which we are not.  They usually go after their neighbors first.

Anyone want to take the next turn instead of me? Sorry, but I really have very little time and energy these day. New job is extremely taxing (with emphasis on VERY), and I have an important exam later this week.

Or Arne if GK can't.   Though I haven't seen Arne around much since his previous turn.

Admittedly we have reached the time of year (for the next 2 or so weeks anyhow) where nearly everyone is much busier than normal due to the holiday season among other things - so there could be not as much progress until the end of the month perhaps.

Yep, always had the same with the Civ DG's as well as other games... RL takes president... It will give me a chance to play some more on my current game and get some more experience...  Maybe enough to pick up and play this game some...

As for the 2.0 patch that they are working on, I do NOT expect to see it until Spring, at the earliest.  So plenty of time to do this game...

Oh, it seems that everyone NOW has all of the DLC's.  If so, couldn't this continue with all of them turned on now?

I'm not sure how that would work, to be honest.  The game was started without them so suddenly adding in the Leviathans wouldn't work since everything has been explored already (at least I think they wouldn't be added).  Same thing with adding robot empires.

However, adding in the Utopia DLC to be able to be able to build Habitats would certainly be useful around now, especially if we are forced by the AE to stop going to war.

I might be able to sneak in, but with work in pre-xmas break crazy time, not sure.  Also, in the process of purchasing a home (as the build  your own home was proving cost prohibitive) so have that crazy on top of everything else.  I am playing by ear on a day by day basis, and if I start I will post, if someone else grabs just post and enjoy (ET, looking at  you there dude).

In my game, I'm running up against Influence Problems (zero growth) due to too many Outposts...  I don't know what to do as Rivaling only gives me a fraction of a point and I need to colonize one more Planet and start my first sector, so I'm definately not one to take this save at this time...