Rhoth

The Calling of Nharr - Stellaris Succession Game AAR

307 posts in this topic

The War, part 3 - Rhoth's 2nd turn Part 9

The Screks made peace with the Ess Jaggons which was not good news for me since now all of their focus would be on me.  Not good.

HgOHrmaQZW5Fdi6mJKsnUPo9O75FFiaeVPPmyQNX

I wasn't sure I wanted to do so, but I absolutely needed to do something about the Screks.  Now that they had a navy in the theater, as well as ground troops, I couldn't ignore the fleets anymore.   And I needed to do something about them before they managed to hook up with the Syldaean fleet.  If I had to face both at once then things would go very poorly.  After a bit of maneuvering to get them farther away from the Syldaean fleet, we met up in the Siccan system and it was time to fight.

53278c2131b67b2d30d1aebcd8864cb8--john-t

XndcMsuojjmdWtOwCpR45nsF4heogzbyi6FMMkZN

I had my finger on the retreat button the whole time but Admiral Cathlox pulled us through.  Despite their power, the Screks were still wounded from their initial fight against the Ess Jaggons, and we had more ships to begin with.  A lot of their power was based in their 9 star admiral.  It wasn't an easy fight, and it was certainly costly, but they ran, not us.  And they lost more overall ships, though we ended up losing more battleships.

Whew!

Besides leveling up some more, Admiral Cathlox also gained the Cautious trait.  I consider it a very underrated trait.  It doesn't show up in the fleet power calculations, but if all of your ships can shoot at a farther distance than your opponent then you can damage him without taking damage in return.  Cathlox was now both Aggressive and Cautious. :lol:

HfrOT07dpxg1AzPHpQBZq7QazvoVWLKNkCtgTsEL

AJQDOyJZRVRS9Y8O-v0oJBu0zI8OB5ZybQm5RgNw

The Syldaeans showed up in-system right after the fight and I was hoping I'd be able to get my shields to regenerate enough that I wouldn't lose many fights, but they turned and ran.  I realized that their fleet power was quite a bit smaller than it had been last I looked, 13k instead of 29k.  Further investigation led me to realize that I had run the Syldaeans out of money.  They were bankrupt, which halved their shields and reduced their damage by 35%.  I would have run too.  Unfortunately I couldn't catch them as they move much faster in their own territory than I do.  I spotted them a little later and they'd managed to work their way out of bankruptcy by disbanding all of their cruisers.  But still, the 29k they had was now 21k.

I did manage to catch a small fleet in Raxum though, and not only did Admiral Cathlox level up to 6 stars, but he gained a third trait: Trickster, which gives +20% combat speed and -50% emergency FTL damage.  A quality trait.  Now if he could only gain the Fleet Logistician trait too I'd be really happy.

A1mhgbQoxDfgeAJlIM_5rd2g4iOC39Flm8dxuelh

Research on Giga Cannons had finished, and I could also add Hyperdrive 3 if I wanted, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to head back home and spend a bunch of time upgrading my fleet right now.  It would have to wait.  I did end up disabling the Grand Fleet though.  Our fleet was now far enough under the cap that even with the battleships in construction we were still under the adjusted fleet cap.  It was a little worrisome, as the Ymacera could still decide to attack if we got weaker, but we did still have a very powerful defensive ally that they were leery of.  Before that battle vs. the Screk we'd actually worked our way up to Equivalent in fleet power to the Ymacera, and their defensive ally had lost a lot too, so I didn't actually feel too threatened.

dHVP5CT57-lwfG7runvGBU7FSAV6SmXcyiQK_PDo

There was quite a boon to that earlier fight vs. the Screk though.  I made damn sure I inspected the wreckage and wasn't disappointed as we received partial research on 8 different techs.  Then another wreck yielded some strike craft tech.

xpOelp3OiGjIMPNOk011hn-VJyEfZLuGC8MvrG8p

wXUbNmFF6A3zYZkoLkcej2mgIujAmj7Vz9-NPxB1

The Screk showed up again, much quicker than I'd expected and the battle was unavoidable.  Ultimately we won the battle, but I don't really know if I'd call it a good win as they escaped with all of their battleships and we didn't, even though we killed all the rest of their ships.

I did discover a little later just HOW they showed up again so quickly.  Jump drives.  And we can now research that same tech.  Glory be.

KxT1pjvNdV-T5S95I3CKcSnlcfrmHHCAMhCXME3e

_So3MdC-Y6zkOh4aKaf1DSd5dqh56apgYOC8IIpQ

TXdqnjAPDUMXkMlI47wkqVURWIPpXuQr8haTrxtU

More to come later...

The War, part 4 - Rhoth's 2nd turn Part 10

I immediately started research on Jump Drives.  It likely wouldn't make a difference in this war, for the same reason I hadn't gone home to upgrade to Giga Cannons and Hyperdrive 3, but it was still a great boon for future war efforts.  Yes its a dangerous tech since it signals one of the Crises, but it's also great to have since it opens up the places that we can go.  We might even be able to jump our fleets to the Sol sector, though I think the jump is still too big.  But we'll see.

You can also see that Psionic armies came up in the tech draw.  I know they're not nearly as efficient as simple clone or attack armies (which is what we have currently), but I do love me some Psionic armies, and it would be nice to have a few for the future.  Plus, we're a religious nation.  We're supposed to have Psionic armies.  It's mandatory. ;)

zOqS4NR5v8Hqec99wxbsVBssKg4VcZ3b-PtRxrAs

Time for another tradition, and while I was still tempted to grab the +20 leader lifespan, I'd just unlocked the Selected Lineages leader enhancement, which boosts lifespan.  I ended up grabbing a third Supremacy tradition.  It wouldn't help for this war, but it would for future wars, and it put us that much closer to the +15% fire rate end bonus.

l6cLs3Zx9Wt5Jqdi0fZzSyUqQC5QHDJAqdQfKXJS

The Syldaeans showed up yet again though.  This time with only damaged battleships and a 1 star admiral, but they were still a tough fight and we lost battleship and cruiser, though they took it far harder with nine battleships dead in space and three more when they retreated.  I saw their fleet a little later and they were down to 8.3% health on their hulls.  I really wanted to be able to find them again.

Still, all the recent battles were starting to take a toll on the fleet and we were down to 30k strength from a high of 47k.  We hadn't lost a battle yet, but having to fight two different nations was definitely starting to hurt.

uPdxiPYMVZsunJs45q_RZzC0BxziS8YHbZl8DYNy

vDuPo9xD7yD1qn91HZ6IVWq7Mt5yBwhwBzYdtf2o

On the plus side though the reverse engineered tech kept rolling in. 

h-T6AqYptUBXBboqHETfpkUrZgCvmj4F8qVwRSR2

C1Tv_rjMyR9LkgCHV_oZjIZH9n-RzVFycVaVLuiD

By now I'd captured all of the Syldaean core except for the one where they built a fortress, so I moved west into Screk territory and conquered the Lishval system.

alpeObXIkjhK9hbYD3Z_ux5Mg_0Rs0Lu3QPY4eTi

Then I made a mistake.  The Screks showed up with a large fleet again, one to nearly match ours.  I figured that since we kicked their butts last time, that things would go the same way again and ended up taking the battle.  It...didn't go well.  Yes we won the battle, and yes we killed more than we lost, but right before the end of the battle when they bugged out they killed off several of our battleships.  We lost a full two-thirds of our remaining battleships in that one battle, which was not an ideal outcome at all.

It was time to start thinking about peace.

HbTXlJsqx-E5ivDM3mfzuZAHHawbgeVBupMAp-7q

Ha1hzECF2W081xMhO9JAtO2mvSann1sQSlq1eEZu

And then I heard "War Has Been Declared" and about had a heart attack.  I just KNEW it was the Ymacera who decided we were now weak enough to fight again.  Luckily no.  It was our allies the Tebadorans declaring war on their rivals the Jaz'Gavaz.

Whew!

mXd1JTIKAe079DLd_Odwcdx7qHi5S2uMKpler0Ut

More to come later...

War's End - Rhoth's 2nd turn Part 11

The beleaguered remainder of our navy headed north to Wua, while our core planets continued production on more battleships.  Unfortunately our rate of production was much lower than the Screks and even though we'd killed more of their ships than they'd killed of ours they were now Superior in fleet power, which affected the war score a little bit.

F0G9dt4K9aSRC7eyqa1bBDZVndV3pi9uagfIvItF

It was very nearly the end of my reign as Ruler though and I really, really wanted to finish the war up before the end.  With our current warscore and negatives from relative navy strength we could take three planets with no Humiliation.  I'd already ruled out gaining the Raxum planets as it would ultimately be too costly to continue the war that long (we'd need at least another 5 or so captured planets, and to avoid any entanglements with their now superior navy).  I would have liked to have added the Humiliation in for the 100 influence, but it was time to end it.  The Screks were close to taking back one of the planets I'd captured and if I waited any longer then I'd lose that warscore, and I didn't want to lose so much that I couldn't take three planets.

I sent the peace deal for Syldus, Horschim and Saoezuno.

TLPQ2B1hzwli6B7FXEtIo2U2qu8B_K3Jh3CsoLGO

And just like that we have another sector.  And thanks to our somewhat smaller fleet we have quite a bit of energy and mineral income with which to rebuild, as well as building up the new sector.  I hired a new sector governor, a young Intellectual, and put him to work.  I also split up our remaining armies in the field and headed them off toward Horschim and Saoezuno.  Hopefully they get there before any revolts happen.  Syldus already has a full complement of armies as I had left them there a while back and never really had a chance to remove them safely.

BJsYzBaK8fH5OE8tF60rfGAJZWKXlnL4h5c7JpPo

A quick look at our new holdings:

P_N445vFYuLUFBHPm0Isn77OV2M0Gb9glpqUwaAS

YptrCQ6P15YLVtL1C28YiWKsiAro0wiSs68Jf7Cy

1pVvefBkfCVriXjeVXe-xrKRtzikfMSp_NQJTdYo

And finally the election contenders:

ksql6SgkzNeY91amJZn4Xv_A-2rM9-Vk28i1SEoJ

Final Thoughts and the Save File - Rhoth's 2nd turn Part 12

Well I think that overall it was a successful war.  Not only did we weaken our enemies to the north and open up more routes to our ally the Tebadorans, we gained another three planets to improve our economy.  It will take a while, since the inhabitants don't currently like us much, but we'll get there.  It was costly in terms of ships lost too, but I think we'll still be okay.  The Ymacera haven't shown any inclination to attack, though obviously that could change.

Moving forward we obviously need to rebuild the fleet again, as quickly as possible.  We have three new spaceports coming on line soon, so that will increase our fleet cap (and we also need to finish out the last upgrade to the two tomb world spaceports).  Currently the Grand Fleet is still turned off until we need it again.  I'd probably leave it off, but turn it back on for a quick fleet upgrade, then turn it back off again until we're close to our fleet cap again.  We need the influence more than we need to run it just to run it, since it will be a while before we hit fleet cap again.  Also, I don't think I did, but we should probably switch out our admiral to one with the Fleet Logistician trait to save on upkeep, and return the fleet to Urrom or Yon (or build an upkeep reduction module in a spaceport somewhere else).

As for upgrading our current fleet, I leave that to Nik.  I added the Hyperdrive 3 and Giga Cannons to the designs a while back, as well as the recent level 4 Tachyon Sensors, but only the newer battleships that are currently kicking it in the core have them so far.  And Nik will also need to make the decision on whether or not to upgrade to Jump Drives (I would) and whether or not to build any Psionic armies (I wouldn't yet).

We'll need to start upgrading the new planets as we go, and there are still two capital-only buildings to build.  I did not build them because of the influence cost at the time, and wanting to keep some back if I needed to drain a sector of its resources for an emergency, but we won't need that now so at least the Research Lab should be built.

There are also still three planets that we can settle (two tomb worlds and one alpine world in the Sol sector that can't be reached yet by our new Alpine inhabitants).  I had held off spending the influence to settle the tomb worlds for the same reason as not building the capital-only buildings, but they should definitely be settled, even though they are smaller size.  I'd recommend turning one or both into full-on mineral production centers.  We need more minerals to be able to keep up with the leaders.  Yes research would be good, but we need more minerals.  I wouldn't stop building mineral production planets until we have a full complement of ships at our fleet cap and a minimum of 500 minerals per turn even when the fleet is out of port.

On to Nik.sav

Good work! Now it's my turn... Need to find out what composition of ships we need. And I don't get the ship builder. At all  I tend to do auto changes. I'm a real noob in this game compared to you others. :p

We definitely need more battleships after I managed to lose a bunch in that last battle with the Screks.  I'd personally build more of the Battlecruiser and Cruiser-Killer classes than the Carrier class, but build a few of those too.  Mid-to-late game I tend to build more battleships than anything else, but you still need a screen of more disposable ships so the big guys won't be focus-fired on as much.

With regard to the ship builder, if you want to change to jump drives all you have to do is click on the hyperdrive and then drag the jump drive over, then make sure to save it.  But still, up to you how you move forward.

For fleet balance, I generally run with a 1.5 ratio for each hull size (8 battleships, 12 cruisers, 18 destroyers, 27 corvettes would be a precisely 1.5 ratio, but functionally I spend a lot of time with the numbers rounded somehow).  But that's not based upon any math - just my impressions of what seems to work.

As for weapons, you generally want a mix of longer-ranged weapons that strip shields (giga cannons and kinetic artillery are good for this) followed by a LOT of weapons at shorter range that penetrate armor (plasma beams are ideal, but there are other options).  Our own fleet is doing well on the anti-shield weaponry.  Not so great on the anti-armor weaponry.

The thing I remain mystified by is the proper mix of point-defense vs non-point defense and the utility of strike craft.  Generally, I don't rely on the strike craft (as they seem to operate based upon whether they overcome a critical threshold with enemy point-defense and that's way too unreliable for my taste).  You definitely need point-defense, but it's damn hard to know exactly how much, so it's easy to err on the side of caution (such as ALL destroyers and some battleships seems to be our own fleet).

Late game I tend to run fleets 30-10-20-50.  The 20 destroyers all being PD, the frigates all being torpedo, and the 10 cruisers basically being meat to replace quickly as they get targeted first, die quickly, and save my battleships from getting hit.  I tend to have 15-20 with XL weaponry, 5-10 with anti-cruiser weaponry, and 5 or so as carriers.  Obviously, this varies a lot on a game by game basis, but I like round numbers.  I also tend to keep an A & B fleet.  B fleet is usually 50% of the A fleet in size.  The B fleet guards the home and runs after any straggler enemy fleets and reinforcements.  My A fleet is my main hammer.  If I lose my A I simply switch and am already half way towards rebuilding.  Awakened AI's are evil, and I tend to have to merge fleets into a single one and then I tend to still lose more than win..... hope my ramble makes sense.  

In the past few builds, I've found that I always want more destroyers, as I like having both artillery destroyers (equipped with a single kinetic artillery enhanced by the destroyer's tracking bonus to be super deadly) and point-defense destroyers.  In the latest build, I've eschewed use of the artillery destroyers in favor of 100% point-defense, though, because missiles got more effective.

I've been toying with the idea of a destroyer-heavy fleet with artillery & point-defense - then cruisers with plasma to soak damage, and a few battleships to act as the hammer (as well as corvettes with torpedoes), but really I've not wanted to take the time to fully test that yet.

So I might not be able to play before weekend. Mucho work happening and wife time after that takes precedence, before early bed to survive. ;)

I'm afraid that we might have scared Nik off. :(

Nik, if you want me to take your turn, just say and I will.

I'm sorry. Been much at work and then I got sick. It's probably best you take my turn. :)  

Can anyone else take it before then?  It's already been a week since I completed my turn.

Sorry team, I was off all last week, so catching up at work is critical for me now.  Weekend is okay.

So I guess if Nik can get to it before this weekend, I can take my normal turn?

Nik, please comment, I might be able to get started Tomorrow for a bit.

Somehow got a bye on paying attention to Spaced Cowgirl on date night (tonight).  Started looking at this.  I am out of my element as I never have even gotten this far in a game without already winning on 40% or more.

Initial feelings.

There is a small nation to the SE (Rothak) that can be vassalized and we have access around the horn.  Fleet size is hurting and newly conquered planets need army reinforcement to quell dissent ASAP.  We need to get fleet score up ASAP to keep a Ymacera war declaration off their wish list. 

Those will be the two first goals, building fleet and starting the vassal war (with humiliate for the 100 influence points).

Unless we hear from Nik...before tomorrow.

The newly conquered planets have armies headed their way.

19 hours ago, Rhoth said:

The newly conquered planets have armies headed their way.

I did not see that at first, but when I gave the newly conquered race all the privileges of the rest of the peps and they still were pissed (edicts already in place), I looked at sending armies there and saw they were in route.  

Bad news is Cowboys play tonight so no progress. :(

50 minutes ago, Spaced Cowboy said:

I did not see that at first, but when I gave the newly conquered race all the privileges of the rest of the peps and they still were pissed (edicts already in place), I looked at sending armies there and saw they were in route.  

Bad news is Cowboys play tonight so no progress. :(

Yep, there will likely be no progress for the Cowboys tonight at all. :lol:

Wrong, bro...

Will start tomorrow, expect to be done by Monday at the latest.  Might not be as many updates as the first turn.  I think I went a little overboard.