Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

Beta

The more things change ....

21 posts in this topic

...the more they stay the same. And that can be a very good thing. :)

Greetings one and all. I've been away for a long period. Good to see the site up and active. :b:

All is good at my end, but very busy with a host of r/l stuff. Many thanks to one and all for the recent birthday wishes. And thanks to Rhoth and conmcb and E_T for their efforts to wrangle me back here.

Civ VI !!??? Please tell me it is better that V. Please.

Not sure how active I will be, but given that I hit an age milestone on Wednesday, thought I should check back in. And hey, I am still in the top 10 for posts on the site. (well, I am 10th ...)

Trust everybody is doing well.

Cheers! Beta (aka Betahound in the bad old days of Apolyton)

[video=youtube;i9dHL7GA1nk]

Welcome back Beta, and belated HBD! :rockon:

VI is way better than V, but it's missing that certain je ne sais quoi for me, not to mention Pitboss support, so I can't see it being a hit here at WPC until it does.......

Hope we see more of you at WPC! :D

VI is way better than V, but it's missing that certain je ne sais quoi for me, not to mention Pitboss support, so I can't see it being a hit here at WPC until it does.......

So why don't we all just keep playing IV?

Hope we see more of you at WPC! :D

Time will tell. Does anyone need a Minister of Information...... :cute:

IMO, 1UPT is way superior to stacks of doom and hexes are way better than squares.

I reallly like a lot of what VI has done and it has a lot of potential. I really like the unstacking of cities, unit movement, barbs, eurekas and inspirations, religion, governements and policies, amongst other things. If it gets proper MP suuport then it would be my go to game again for sure, I'm just not holding my breath, knowing Firaxis' history on this matter.....

Hi Beta!

Guess you never did get that post card I sent to you? Well, good to see ya!

Definitely better. Not great, but worthy at least.

Hey Beta! Good to see ya back. :D

Civ VI !!??? Please tell me it is better that V. Please.

Yes, it is better than 5, but really, it isn't hard to be better than 5.

For me, 5 and 6 have gone too tactical. The focus is being lost more and more on running an Empire, and more and more onto the "little" stuff. What I mean I suppose, is the game makes you fret over each step of the journey rather than keeping you focused on the goal. I much prefer my strategy games to be actually....... strategic. :)

Hey Beta! Good to see ya back. :D
Thank you!

Yes, it is better than 5, but really, it isn't hard to be better than 5.
How true.

For me, 5 and 6 have gone too tactical. The focus is being lost more and more on running an Empire, and more and more onto the "little" stuff. What I mean I suppose, is the game makes you fret over each step of the journey rather than keeping you focused on the goal. I much prefer my strategy games to be actually....... strategic. :)

Agree completely, and to reply to Penry`s post above, the one unit per square/hex was and is silly. You may refer to a stack of doom, but when you look at the major battles up to the 20th century, they were fought on relatively small battlefields with large armies of mixed capabilities. Not unlike CIv4.

You need to understand my bias here. I was raised on Avalon Hill and SPI wargames, where the designer at least tried to create a modicum of historical accuracy. Out the window with Civ5, and not having even taking a look at Civ6, but if it is similar, I may not be interested. better of going and joining those playing Grigsby's War in the East.

Hi Beta!

Guess you never did get that post card I sent to you? Well, good to see ya!

hey GK. If it was real post card, then no, I did not receive it. Sorry. If it was a an email sort of thing, then I may have, but don't recall it. When did you send it?

Definitely better. Not great, but worthy at least.
:relief:

better of going and joining those playing Grigsby's War in the East.

Care for a game? I've got WitE and WitW and would love to play someone here at WPC! :eager:

BETA!!! :beta: You're back!

Welcome back man. I've been trying to contact you on and off for a long time now.

Welcome back! :)

Civ6 is very fun, you should give it a try sometime. Perhaps when there's a sale?

BETA!!! :beta: You're back!

Welcome back man. I've been trying to contact you on and off for a long time now.

I know. I was playing hard to get. ;)

Heah welcome back Beta! Since I'm right down the road from you I'd say come and visit, but Trump has already erected a wall on the northern border! :lol:

northern border wall.jpg

Heah welcome back Beta! Since I'm right down the road from you I'd say come and visit, but Trump has already erected a wall on the northern border! :lol:

:relief: Good to know we are safe up here.

:cute:

:relief: Good to know we are safe up here.

:cute:

Do you have a place to stay for those of us who were tired of his antics even before he got elected? ;):lol:

hey GK. If it was real post card, then no, I did not receive it. Sorry. If it was a an email sort of thing, then I may have, but don't recall it. When did you send it?

:relief:

Real post card. Not sure if I had the real address or not, but think I did.

Was sent... oh, back around the release of 6, say 4-5 months ago I think. Right at the beginning of this school year, as I used my work printer to make it.

Do you have a place to stay for those of us who were tired of his antics even before he got elected? ;):lol:

Told you before, if you can get out here happy to rent out the guest room out the back of our place. ;)

Told you before, if you can get out here happy to rent out the guest room out the back of our place. ;)

I'll keep that in mind. Not sure about the D&D style creatures you have running around down there though (giant poisonous spiders and all that) ;)