Nikolai

- Civ 6's music evolves alongside your cities, and it's one of its best features

23 posts in this topic

PCGamer has dove into the musical part of Sid Meier's Civilization VI, and is full of praise. Saying, "Even without Baba Yetu, it's the best soundtrack in the series.", they have made the soundtrack available on Soundcloud and YouTube:

[video=youtube;sFlxSgOEZrk]

I love the music, and it's progression :) but I hope there's some variety in between your main theme so that you're not forever listening to the same song lol

I'm digging Civ4's at the moment. It's been years since I had the volume on while playing! :)

It would be great if they fully rotate through all the theme songs of the civs you meet (once you've met them), along with your own. That would be enough variety for me, I think :)

Edited by nzcamel
Sp

I rather suspect this is a paid promotion (or at least should be disclosed as one if so) rather than something PC Gamer really took the time to put together on their own. It's the sort of thing I'd expect from them.

Even suspecting that is the case, though... THIS, Firaxis/2K. THIS is how you tempt me to pre-order your quite possibly buggy, unpolished, early beta build of a game I hope to eventually love. Give me a fantastic soundtrack (and I've learned to trust Geoff Knorr), let me hear enough of it prior to release, and I don't even give a damn if I'm paying to playtest the rest of your duct-tape & bubble gum project.

Hell, that's definitely how my pre-orders for Beyond Earth and Rising Tide happened. The music was that good.

I just finished watching Donald's second video and Marbozir's first Greek video and I must say that I really enjoyed the leader animation screens. It's not music, but it is attention to detail on a 'fluff' aspect of the game. I don't usually pay the leader screens any attaetion at all, but the animation and native speech really drew me in.

Young Victoria with her Emma Thompson like narration and intonation was awesome! Suave Philip was also a joy to behold. I saw a clip of Vicky having a hissy fit on YouTube and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in context now!

If they're paying this much attention to 'fluff' it can pnly bode well for the finer details of the game, I hope......

I rather suspect this is a paid promotion (or at least should be disclosed as one if so) rather than something PC Gamer really took the time to put together on their own. It's the sort of thing I'd expect from them.

Even suspecting that is the case, though... THIS, Firaxis/2K. THIS is how you tempt me to pre-order your quite possibly buggy, unpolished, early beta build of a game I hope to eventually love. Give me a fantastic soundtrack (and I've learned to trust Geoff Knorr), let me hear enough of it prior to release, and I don't even give a damn if I'm paying to playtest the rest of your duct-tape & bubble gum project.

Hell, that's definitely how my pre-orders for Beyond Earth and Rising Tide happened. The music was that good.

:love:

The effort they've put into the soundtrack, esp since IV, is top shelf :)

I just finished watching Donald's second video and Marbozir's first Greek video and I must say that I really enjoyed the leader animation screens. It's not music, but it is attention to detail on a 'fluff' aspect of the game. I don't usually pay the leader screens any attaetion at all, but the animation and native speech really drew me in.

Young Victoria with her Emma Thompson like narration and intonation was awesome! Suave Philip was also a joy to behold. I saw a clip of Vicky having a hissy fit on YouTube and I'm really looking forward to seeing it in context now!

If they're paying this much attention to 'fluff' it can pnly bode well for the finer details of the game, I hope......

Love, love this even more! The narrative creation in leader detail awesome! :D Some people don't like the way the leaders return to a neutral look after you're finished talking the specific point. I do get how that could be immersion breaking...but seeing as that 'neutral look' is there when you pull up their screen without even talking to them, I can work with it as a very fancy background to the information, I think. They're still way better than their oh so serious stiff upper lip selves from CiV. Apparently they don't talk in every negotiation, which is frustrating, but then CiV was like that too :shame:

I saw Vicky have her tiff! Beautifully done lol.

I have to agree the soundtrack is really coming across as something exciting.

Though the above vid from PCGamer strongly hints at Marketing at Work rather than preview. ;)

You don't say. ;) I doubt it'd be long online if not sanctioned.

Is there any Credits in the Civilopedea that might show Whom the various musicians were and where recorded? I am guessing that the new Chris Tin opening music is still being kept under wraps.

Maybe that will be the final First Look before Release. And they won't show the full thing until Chris makes his full debut... but just enough to really wet our appetites...

Yup. And, as I noted, it really should be disclosed as such if so.

I don't take it as a guarantee that it is a paid promotion, either, but it certainly looks an awful lot like one. The thing is... they don't need to hide that from us. They could make a kickass trailer for the soundtrack and it would be better than a journalist getting paid to talk about the music anyhow.

Cartimandua and I like this feature very much. What we've heard of the music has been very well done so far.

I've only heard a few of the individual civ themes so far, but the ones I've heard have been both spectacularly chosen (in terms of fitting the gestalt of each particular civ) and very well-produced.

America - Hard Times Come Again No More

England - Scarborough Fair

Greece - Epitaph of Seikilos

I really love the use of traditional folk music... it gives each civ a sincerity that was somewhat lacking with more leader-centric themes (and anthems) as in Civ 4. Sort of makes you feel the presence of the actual people in the civ, not just the leader.

Personal preference though, since we're using folk music now, I'd really like to see Korobeiniki (the Peddlers' Song) for Russia. Not only would it be really cool, but I'd also laugh pretty hard. Because, you know, it'd be really great to finally see it in a video game or something. ;)

C'mon, tell me that wouldn't be totally awesome. Maybe a tad outrageous, but awesome nonetheless. :)

Ohh! It is the tetris music! Lol - duh. Yeah, love it :D

Twould do my head in after 15 minutes though...

It would be great if they fully rotate through all the theme songs of the civs you meet (once you've met them), along with your own. That would be enough variety for me, I think :)

It seems to be that the soundtrack is this. The addictive drum beat playing at the mo sounds more like Kongo than Rome! :)

Going for the comment hat trick! - I can't get enough of the soundtrack! :D

Given that you won't hear the soundtracks of Civs that you haven't met/not in the game, the replay-ability of it is fantastic too! I loved CIV's; but I eventually muted the game music in favour of different sources. And V's soundtrack seemed even more limited within the one game/civ; as beautiful as it is.

Did you know the soundtrack is on Spotify as well? ;)

From the German themes I recognize four:

Wenn ich ein Vöglein wär - A love song. "If I was a bird and had a pair of wings, I would fly to you"

Ein Jäger aus Kurpfalz - A huntsman from Kurpfalz (Electoral Palatinate). A song about a hunter's good life, with an intentional sexual ambiguity, if you understand the hunted game as women.

Ein schwerer Traum - A nightmare. A sad love song, pretty creepy even, sung by a girl who fears, that her (absent) beloved died.

Spinn, spinn meine liebe Tochter - A song about a daughter refusing to spinn yarn, even though her mother promises her to buy shoes, stockings and a dress. Only after mother promised her a husband, she gladly begins to work.

There may be a fifth, which partly resembles another song about the hunt, but it's not entirely the same.

I love the music in Civ6 and much so. They put a lot of thought and work into it.