nzcamel

Your Civ6 Leader League

219 posts in this topic

Civ ability

Catherine: +20% production towards Medieval, Renaissance and Industrial era wonders. Tourism from wonders of any era are doubled

Cleopatra: Districts and wonders are built +15% faster if placed next to a river. Floodplains do not block placement of districts and wonders.

Frederick: Cities can have one additional District above what the population would normally allow.

Gandhi: Get the follower beliefs of all religions present in their cities, not just the one from their own religion.

Gilgamesh: Every time you capture a barbarian outpost you also get a tribal village reward.

Harald: Units pay no cost to embark or disembark. Once Shipbuilding tech is researched, all Naval and Embarked units may move onto Ocean tiles.

Hojo: All districts receive an additional standard adjacency bonus for being adjacent to another district.

Montezuma: Spend builder charges to complete 20% of the original district cost.

Mvemba: Get Food, Production and Gold from each Relic, Artifact and Great Work of Sculpture. Extra Great Artist and Great Merchant points each turn.

Pedro II: Rainforest tiles provide +1 adjacency bonus for Campus, Commercial Hub, Holy Site, and Theatre Square districts. Rainforest tiles provide +1 Housing for Neighbourhoods built adjacent to them.

Pericles: Get an extra wild card policy slot, no matter which government you choose.

Philip II: Traders between continents give extra yields. Can combine ships into Fleets earlier than other civilizations.

Qin: Eurekas and Inspirations provide 60% of technologies and civics, instead of 50%.

Saladin: When the second-to-last Great Prophet is taken by another civ, Arabia automatically receive a great prophet, if they haven't already founded a religion.

Teddy: Earn all government legacy bonuses in half the usual time.

Tomyris: Create two units instead of one when they build light cavalry or the Saka Horse Archer

Trajan: All cities start with Trading Posts. New cities within Trade Route Range (Land 15 hexes, Sea 30 hexes) of your capital also start with a road to them. Your Trade Routes earn extra gold for passing through Trading Posts in your own cities.

Victoria: Each Archaeology Museum hold 6 Artifacts instead of 3 and can support 2 Archaeologists at once. (instead of 1?)

Leader ability

Catherine: Has 1 level of Diplomatic Visibility greater than normal with every civilization that she's met. Receives capacity to build an extra Spy with Castles technology.

Cleopatra: Your trade routes to other civilizations provide +4 Gold for Egypt. Other civilizations' Trade Routes to Egypt provide +2 Food for them and +2 Gold for Egypt.

Frederick: Additional military policy slot. +7 Combat Strength when attacking City States.

Gandhi: For each Civ India has met, which has founded a religion, and is not at war, India gets a significant boost in Faith. Opposing Civs suffer additional happiness penalties for fighting wars against Gandhi.

Gilgamesh: When at war with a common foe, Sumeria and its allies share pillage rewards and share combat experience gains with the closest allied unit within 5 tiles. Available from Foreign Trade civic onwards. He can declare war on anyone at war with one of his allies without any warmonger penalties. Gilgamesh can levy City-State military forces at 50% of cost.

Hojo: Land units receive +5 Combat Strength in land tiles adjacent to Coast. Naval units receive +5 Combat Strength in shallow water tiles. Builds Encampment, Holy Site and Theatre Square districts in half the time.

Harald: All Naval Melee units can perform Coastal Raids - pillage adjacent Land Hexes from Coastal hexes. Gets the Viking Longship bonus unique unit. Viking Longship: Can perform Coastal Raids and can heal in neutral territory.

Montezuma: Luxury resources in his territory provide an Amenity to 2 extra cities. Military units receive +1 Combat Strength for each different Luxury resource improved in Aztec lands.

Mvemba: Can't build Holy Site District, but does get the Founder beliefs of any Religion that has established itself in the majority of his cities. He gets an Apostle each time he finishes an Mbanza District, or Theatre District of that cities Religion.

Pedro II: After recruiting or patronizing a Great Person, 20% of its Great Person point cost is refunded.

Pericles: For every City State for which Greece is the Suzerain, get a bonus to your culture (+5%???).

Philip II: Units get a combat bonus (+4 combat strength) against civilizations that follow a different Religion. Inquisitors can remove heresy one extra time.

Qin: When building Ancient or Classical wonders you may spend Builder charges to complete 15% of the original wonder cost. Builders receive an additional charge.

Saladin: Religious building (Pagoda, Synagogue, etc.) costs very little faith and provides bonus science, faith AND culture.

Teddy: Units receive a +5 Combat Strength bonus on their home continent. +1 Appeal to all tiles in a city with a National park. Gain a Rough Rider unique unit when they research the Rifling technology. Rough Rider: They receive culture from kills on the Capital's continent and have a lower maintenance cost. Probably a cavalry replacement.

Tomyris: Units get a combat bonus when attacking wounded units. Units heal a small amount when they defeat an enemy

Trajan: All cities start with one free building in their city centre, usually a monument.

Victoria: When you settle on a continent other than your home continent, receive a free melee unit. Gain the Redcoat unique unit when you research Military Science technology. Redcoat: They fight stronger when away from the capital's continent. They can disembark without using a movement point.

Unique Unit

Catherine: Garde Imperiale: +10 Combat Strength when fighting on your capital's continent. Gain Great General points for killing units.

Cleopatra: Maryannu Chariot Archer: Fast Ancient era (Tier 3) ranged unit that replaces Heavy Chariot (melee unit). Gets bonus movement when it starts the turn on flat terrain.

Frederick: U-Boat: Combat bonus when fighting in deep ocean. Low Production cost.

Gandhi: Varu: Reduces combat strength of adjacent enemy units (-5 combat strength). Reduction cumulative for each adjacent Varu.

Gilgamesh: War cart: Very strong for an early game unit. Suffers no penalties against spearmen or other anti cavalry units and gets extra movement if it starts in open terrain. Available right from the start of the game

Hojo: Samurai: Does not suffer combat penalties when damaged. Medieval era unit. (Tier 6)

Harald: Berserker: Pillaging costs 1 less movement. Gets a bonus to attack (+7 Melee Strength), but is more vulnerable when defending (-7 Melee Strength).

Montezuma: Eagle Warrior: Replaces the Warrior. Can capture other civilization's defeated units and turn them into Builders. (not barbarian units)

Mvemba: Ngao Mbeba: These shield bearers get extra defence vs. ranged attack and neither woods, nor rainforest slow them down, nor block sight. You don't need Iron to build them either.

Pedro II: Mina Geraes: Replaces the Battleship. Requires Nationalism civic instead of a technology. Greater defence and range.

Pericles: Hoplite: Gets a bonus (+10 combat strength) when other Hoplites are adjacent.

Philip II: Conquistador: Conquistadors get a significant combat bonus (+10 combat strength) when there is a Spanish Inquisitor, Apostle or Missionary on the same hex. If a Conquistador is adjacent to a city when it is captured, the city automatically converts to Spain’s majority Religion.

Qin: Crouching Tiger: Short ranged unit that has a very powerful attack. Does not need strategic resources to build.

Saladin: Mamluk: Knight replacement. Heals automatically at the end of each turn, even if it has attacked.

Teddy: P-51 Mustang: Replaces the Fighter. Better attack against fighters, farther range, and earns experience faster.

Tomyris: Saka Horse Archer: Highly mobile missile cavalry unit that don't require horse resources to create.

Trajan: Legion: More expensive than the Swordsman it replaces. It is stronger (40 combat strength) and can function as a military engineer to build forts and roads (1 build only??).

Victoria: Sea Dog: Replaces the Privateer. Can capture enemy ships.

Unique improvement etc

Catherine: Chateau: +1 Culture, +2 Culture if next to a wonder, +1 Gold if next to a Luxury resource. Can only be built next to Rivers.

Cleopatra: Sphinx: +1 Faith and +1 Culture. +2 Faith if next to a wonder. Cannot be built next to another Sphinx. Can be built on Floodplains.

Frederick: Hansa: Major Production bonus if adjacent to a Commercial Hub District. Standard Production bonus for each adjacent resource. Minor Production bonus for adjacent District tiles.

Gandhi: Stepwell: Provides Housing and Food. Bonus Food if built next to a Farm and Faith if built next to a Holy Site District.

Gilgamesh: Zigurat: Provides science and, if adjacent to a river, culture. Cannot be built on a hill. Available right from the start of the game.

Hojo: Electronics Factory: The Japanese replacement for the Factory (Industrial era). Bonus is extended to all cities within 6 tiles.

Harald: Stave Church: All the benefits of a Temple building, but gets an additional Faith adjacency bonus from Woods.

Montezuma: Tlachtli: Probable replacement to Arena? Gives Amenities, Faith, and Great General Points. Build in the Entertainment Complex district.

Mvemba: Mbanza: It replaces the Neighbourhood District and can be built earlier in the game. It provides Housing, as well as Food and Gold.

Pedro II: Street Carnival: Replaces the Entertainment district. Dedicated to keeping your people happy by increasing Amenities, it allows the construction of the Carnival Project that turns Production into Amenities and gives bonus Great person points at the end of the festivities.

Pericles: Acropolis: Replaces the Theatre District. Gets higher culture adjacency bonuses for being next to other districts, especially the City Centre district. It must be built on a hill.

Philip II: Mission: Provides Faith. Provides bonus Faith when built on a different continent from the Spanish capital. Provides Science when built next to a Campus District.

Qin: The Great Wall: Bonuses to Defence & Gold (early game) then Culture and Tourism (later game) that grow with more adjacent segments, if on a hill, and as you advance through the tech tree. Must be built in line along the edge of the empire.

Saladin: Madrassa: University replacement that gives extra science AND extra faith based on the campus adjacency bonus.

Teddy: Film Studio: +50% Tourism in the Modern era.

Tomyris: Kurgan: Provides Faith and Gold. Bonus when built adjacent to pastures. Can’t be built on a hill or next to another Kurgan

Trajan: Baths: Replaces the Aqueduct District. Provides Amenities and more Housing than the Aqueduct Distirct.

Victoria: Royal Navy Dockyard: Replaces the Harbour district. Removes the movement penalty for embarking and disembarking to and from this tile. Must be on Coast or Lake terrain adjacent to land. +1 Movement for all naval units built in Dockyard, +2 Gold when built on a foreign continent, +1 Trade Route capacity. Adjacency: Standard Gold bonus for each adjacent coastal resource. Minor Gold bonus for adjacent district tiles.

I've done a points system on each of the Civs traits to make myself look at them a bit more objectively.

Basically I rank each of the five areas of distinction (Civ ability, Leader ability, Unique Unit, Unique building/district/improvement, and unique agenda) from best to worst. Best gets 1 point and so on. As we have details on 11 civs so far, 11 is the worst score in this post. These rankings are clearly subjective. I've tried to be as impartial as I could, but that's only so possible lol. I've ranked them in part based on how I traditionally play the game, and how much good they would do for me. If anyone else cares to use the same ranking system (which would be cool to see) I'd expect them to come up with different rankings of course!

A few notes:

i) I will come up with two different scores. In the first I leave out the unique agenda, because that is meaningless to me as the player in the sense that I drive my own agenda. It is also only half the AI's agenda, as their secret one is always unknown to begin with. But it is still relevant to a lesser degree; as if I play the leader who has the most frustrating agenda for me to combat, then at least I don't face that in game from them.

As this list doesn't yet show Phillip II's agenda, I'm not even going to revel that second score until I know what his is (thou we're all pretty sure it'll be something religious lol).

ii) I've included the bonus unique unit that the US and England have in with their Leader ability because at this stage (I could be wrong) it would appear that if we are eventually getting alternate leaders; and these bonus units are tied to the leader, not the civ.

iii) Some of these unique traits aren't fully fleshed out yet, so no doubt the rankings could change as we get more concise information.

So; here's my results for the moment based on the first four categories (not agendas):

1) Catherine - France. 11 points

2) Cleo - Egypt. 17 points

3) Monty - Aztecs. 19 points

4) Qin - China. 23 points

5) Frederick - Germany. 25 points

6) Hojo - Japan. 26 points

7) Teddy, & Victoria (US, England). Tied on 27 points

9) Pedro II - Brazil. 29 points

10) Tomyris & Phillip II (Scythia, Spain). Tied on 30 points

So it was a surprise to me that Germany didn't do a little better! I had picked that I thought they'd be my first choice. Looks like I'm back to playing France (as I finished up in Civ III, as you will see in this thread soon: Your Civilization Purchase and Playing History ) No doubt I'll re-adjust these every time we get the details on a new Civ of course (that and add in points for agendas).

Just as a side note, for a bit more of something to critique me for here's what I ranked first and last in each category:

Civ ability: America first, Spain last.

Leader ability: Cleo first, Victoria last.

Unique unit ability: Aztecs first, America last.

Unique building etc: Germany first, China last*.

*The great wall could be awesome. I def like the idea of it...but until I have a chance to play China, I can't help but feel that the loss of a whole hex for each section of the Wall just isn't worth the gains over any other unique building/improvement/district...

Edited by nzcamel
Swapped a point

Great idea! OK, without thinking about details too much (no smart comments Rhoth! ;) ) and going mostly on gut feeling and immediate reaction to how much I'd like to play with that specific trait, here is what I arrived at:

1: Tomyris - 10 points

2: Qin and Cleopatra - 17 points

4: Hojo and Frederick - 20 points

6: Phillip - 24 points

7: Catherine - 25 points

8: Monty - 29 points

9: Victoria - 31 points

10: Pedro - 32 points

11: Teddy - 39 points

I suspected that Tomyris would be my #1 as she really got my interest in the first reveal, but I was shocked at how far ahead she was come the end of this little experiment. I'm not too surprised to see Qin, Cleo and Hojo up there too, as I do generally like the earlier civs over the later ones - they just seem more romantic to mee and stir my imagination more. I thought playing CK2 and EU4 a lot since Civ 5 came out might have promoted the Mid-Late game civs more, but not enough it would appear.

Here are my first/last for each category:

Civ ability: Pedro first, Vicky last

Leader ability: Qin first, Pedro last

UU: Tomyris first, Frederick last

UI: Frederick first, Teddy last

Looks like The Hansa has caught some interest! ;)

Ahh, bit more of an early war monger than me with Tomyris topping the list ;) Though I do look forward to playing games with her near me, as I'm not big on Surprise wars either (and really glad that finally in VI we get a distinction between wars of conquest, and just wars!)

A couple of our early favorites are similar - Qin & Cleo.

I rated Brazil's ability 9th! ;) A lot of people like it so far, but I'm just like 'then I've gotta keep lots of Jungle in my cities!' Thou jungle is way better than it used to be to be fair... And England's ability smack in the middle at 6th. It's good, but pretty late game...

Qin is 3rd on my leader ability rankings, though it was a tough choice between him, Cleo, and Catherine... so I can't really dispute you putting him first ;) Pedro was in the middle at 6th (there seems to be a pattern there that whoever you rate the least I rate middle of the pack haha)

UU - Tomyris's Horse Archers are 4th on my list, early game they'll be great! And despite loving U-boats, I rated them 10th! Largely cos the bonus is only in deep ocean I guess :/

UI - Yay Germany! Lol. I had Teddy 2nd to last. Like Englands ability, it's pretty good, but late game only.

Edited by nzcamel
Added more

Don't forget that all important additional Military Civic Policy that Germany with Barberossa (sp) gets will add to that score, plus that +1 District ability is also something to not sneeze at.

As a lot of the Leader/Civ info often has specifics details lacking (mostly due to balancing and thus in flux), scoring systems will also need to be flexible... remember, in a LOT of ways, this is an entirely new game, so be careful of mistakingly comparing Apples to Apples when you are actually comparing them to Oranges...

Mr. Camel, welcome! We don't see fresh faces around here often enough.

:stupid:

Assuming the nz means New Zealand Penry is probably salivating now that he might have another New Zealander to play MP with besides his wife. ;)

Don't forget that all important additional Military Civic Policy that Germany with Barberossa (sp) gets will add to that score, plus that +1 District ability is also something to not sneeze at.

As a lot of the Leader/Civ info often has specifics details lacking (mostly due to balancing and thus in flux), scoring systems will also need to be flexible... remember, in a LOT of ways, this is an entirely new game, so be careful of mistakingly comparing Apples to Apples when you are actually comparing them to Oranges...

Oh, I'm still liking Germany for the record. I just think that all n all France will suit me best, given the silly way I play...followed by Egypt :o lol. I like the extra district bonus, but I'm wondering if given the balance of everything...if I may find that I'd rather use that space for normal improvements much of the time. I'm sure late game it will be great.

The bonus military card slot is very handy; the +7 against city states less so as I generally don't want to conquer them; so I ranked that 8 out of 11 with all but the Japs, Spanish, and England coming in ahead re Leader ability.

Actually, I think I prefer the Japanese Divine Wind (with fast encampment, holy site and theater builds) over Holy Roman Empire :/ It gets worse haha

Mr. Camel, welcome! We don't see fresh faces around here often enough.

Why thank you Bigdork! Lol. How long has this site existed for? I've used Civ Fanatics for years, but I'm only on there sporadically.

:stupid:

Assuming the nz means New Zealand Penry is probably salivating now that he might have another New Zealander to play MP with besides his wife. ;)

You'd be correct. Christchurch NZ to be exact. We're good at rugby...and that's about it ;)

Edited by nzcamel
additional info

Welcome, Camel! Good to see some fresh blood. :) We've been around for a few years now, a splinter originally from the old main competitor to CFC, Apolyton.:)

You'd be correct. Christchurch NZ to be exact. We're good at rugby...and that's about it ;)

Good at being Middle Earth too. ;)

Ahh, bit more of an early war monger than me with Tomyris topping the list ;)

My introduction to Democracy Gaming was with a team who immersed themselves in the Khan culture, so I've got a bit of a soft spot for fast moving horses and steppe lifestyle. Back in my early days of Civ playing I was an aggressive little bugger, but I've mellowed somewhat over the years.

Frederick would have scored way higher on my list, and probably come in second if it weren't for his UU. You know my thoughts on Civ naval warfare. I'd really like to play a game as England or Spain, or maybe even Greece, if they get a naval UU, but I can't see it as a viable option, based on my Civ playing past.

That's the whole of the NZ population on WPC then! ;)

Welcome, Camel! Good to see some fresh blood. :) We've been around for a few years now, a splinter originally from the old main competitor to CFC, Apolyton.:)

Just over seven years now! Where does the time go to?

Is it really seven years?:eek:

...I signed up 29-04-09, a day before WPC went public. It's been seven years and change, all right - I had no gray in my beard then, and you were still in elementary school...

Good at being Middle Earth too. ;)

Yeah, we did that justice... Rohan was filmed in Canterbury :)

Maybe we can get in on the inevitable big budget remake of Game Thrones, and do that as it should be done too! ;)

My introduction to Democracy Gaming was with a team who immersed themselves in the Khan culture, so I've got a bit of a soft spot for fast moving horses and steppe lifestyle. Back in my early days of Civ playing I was an aggressive little bugger, but I've mellowed somewhat over the years.

Frederick would have scored way higher on my list, and probably come in second if it weren't for his UU. You know my thoughts on Civ naval warfare. I'd really like to play a game as England or Spain, or maybe even Greece, if they get a naval UU, but I can't see it as a viable option, based on my Civ playing past.

That's the whole of the NZ population on WPC then! ;)

Just over seven years now! Where does the time go to?

Mongolia better still be an expansion into the game soon grrrrr. I know variety is great, but the Mongols should be in the first release every time dammit! lol

Yeah, I like the idea of the U-boat as a UU (subs are always cool), and it sounds true to life; but there isn't a hell of a lot going on in deep ocean squares traditionally :(

Lol, have I increased NZ participation by 50%?? ;)

I appreciate it takes a while (I printed off the posts at the top of this thread, and cut out each trait so I could blue tack them onto paper, and raise or lower them against the others in the same catagory); but I hope a few more people try the points ranking system, and share their results here!

I copied and pasted them into a spreadsheet and moved them around, basically a 21st century paper free version of what you did.

*palm face*

Why didn't I think of that....? Lol. In my defense, I was really tired gah.

Here's my rankings:

1: England - 14

2: Japan - 15

3: Germany - 17

4: Scythia - 19

5: America - 23

5: Brazil - 23

7: Spain - 25

8: Egypt - 28

9: France - 32

10: China - 33

11: Aztec - 35

Civ Ability: Scythia - Aztec

Ldr Ability: Egypt - Brazil

U Unit/s: England - Aztec

U Other: England - America

As I suspected, as the specs they initially said about England felt like they fit the way I play.

...I signed up 29-04-09' date=' a day before WPC went public. It's been seven years and change, all right - I had no gray in my beard then, and you were still in elementary school...[/quote']

Uni, but thank you.;)

Here's my rankings:

As I suspected, as the specs they initially said about England felt like they fit the way I play.

Scythia is getting a lot of love :)

As is Cleo's leadership lol. Who woulda thunk it!

Wait...how do you rate the Eagle Warrior so low?? I mean I'm not a big war monger to be fair, so I guess me putting it top is a little ironic lol....but given that builders have limited charges, I think it's a great early game unit. I might have to get a bit more blood on my hands haha

Edited by nzcamel
EAGLE!

Scythia is getting a lot of love :)

As is Cleo's leadership lol. Who woulda thunk it!

Wait...how do you rate the Eagle Warrior so low?? I mean I'm not a big war monger to be fair, so I guess me putting it top is a little ironic lol....but given that builders have limited charges, I think it's a great early game unit. I might have to get a bit more blood on my hands haha

Aztec UU is a very early game unit. IE: it's the first unit in the tree. :)

To be effective (and note, that unit is not effective against barbs which severely depreciates its value) you need early neighbours. The unit is really only effective until swords and mobile arches. This means you're probably playing large continents or Pangaea with as many civs as possible to make neighbours. That's leaves quite a few setups where the unit's value is depreciated. I suspect that if you play on many small continents, or islands, or archipelago, the value of the unit will be near zero.

I like to play on continents maps. This limits the number of neighbours, which limits my options for making an early friend for trade. This makes the value of the Aztec UU basically zero for me. :)

Here's my rankings:

Aztec UU is a very early game unit. IE: it's the first unit in the tree. :)

To be effective (and note, that unit is not effective against barbs which severely depreciates its value) you need early neighbours. The unit is really only effective until swords and mobile arches. This means you're probably playing large continents or Pangaea with as many civs as possible to make neighbours. That's leaves quite a few setups where the unit's value is depreciated. I suspect that if you play on many small continents, or islands, or archipelago, the value of the unit will be near zero.

I like to play on continents maps. This limits the number of neighbours, which limits my options for making an early friend for trade. This makes the value of the Aztec UU basically zero for me. :)

All good points. It could be said that I have given the Eagle Warrior too much credit :o

I love the large maps too; but tend to find that I run into other Civs far sooner than I'd like thou grrrr. In V it seems many Civs will also forgive early aggression easily too. I wonder if that will be so easy in VI.

As we get a new civ tomorrow, lets tally up our three contributions so far, divide by three (the number of contributors at this stage).... and see who comes out on top. I still see this as first and foremost an individual exercise, but the combined total will be interesting too:

1) Tomyris - 19.66

2) Hojo - 20.33

3) Cleo - 20.66

Frederick - 20.66

5) Catherine - 22.66

6) Victoria - 24

7) Qin - 24.33

8) Philip II - 26.33

9) Monty - 27.66

10) Pedro - 28

11) Teddy - 29.66

And Penry's fav wins round 1 :)

I swapped Hojo around with Fred in relation to the leadership bonus on my results (as discussed above lol), which has resulted in him coming in under the radar to 2nd place. I guess good to see that Fred, my early pick is doing alright in 3rd equal with Cleo :)

Wooden spoon goes to Teddy :(

Can't wait to see who the next Civ is tomorrow :D

:b:

One reveal a week is far too little. I hope we get a Civ and an extra this week. We definitely need a Let's Play soon. I hope Ed's balls up didn't put the clappers on things too much.

Yeah, I'm sure they can't be too angry at Ed...at least I hope not. He seems to be doing a stellar job so far...other than being maybe not the best face of the game for main marketing purposes.

We've still got 7 & a half weeks to go Penry...you're going to blow a fuse at this rate! ;)

Message deleted...

Edited by nzcamel