Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

Sharpe

Your Civilization Purchase and Playing History

45 posts in this topic

Wasn't sure where to put this topic in Civ 5, 6, Other games or here - mods feel free to move it where you feel its appropriate.

Just wondering what is other people's civilization purchase and playing history - estimates of course ;) .

For me (cost in Canadian dollars and includes expansions and dlcs):

Civ 1 Cost: $0 Played: 500+ hours (yeah I pirated it and it is a good thing I did for Firaxis as it got me going on the series - believe me I've made up for the cost later)

Civ 2 Cost: $170 Played: 700+ hours (I bought the Civ 2 CD over a year before I had a computer that could use CDs - that's now nuts I was for Civ at that point)

Civ 2 Test of Time Cost: $22 Played: 40+ hours

Alpha Centauri Cost: $100 Played: 225+ hours

Call to Power 1 Cost: $30 Played: 15 hours

Call to Power 2 Cost: $20 Played: 8-10 hours

Civ 3 Cost: $160 Played: 150-175 hours

Civ 4 Cost: $110 Played: 60-80 hours

Civ 5 Cost: $38 Played: 17 hours according to Steam (includes both expansion packs plus all dlcs - haven't had much time to play the expansions yet, but the original game felt disappointing)

Civ Beyond Earth Cost: $27 Played: 3-5 hours (haven't had time to play it much yet)

Civ 6 - isn't actually that high on my purchase priority list - so likely will wait until larger discounts are available - though the game looks more interesting than Civ 5 so far.

Lessee.

Civ II, bought on clearance for about $20 in 1997. Got the computer in 1998. Was worried I wouldn't be able to find Civ II.

Bought Diablo II at release in 2000. Played it exclusively...up till 2002 when I got Civ III

Easily played III the most out of any of them.

Bought IV at release, but mostly played demogames with it. Warlords played the most, and BTS ONLY played demogames. Preferred Warlords to BTS.

V, the boss tried to surprise me and bought it for me. I wouldn't have. The kids have played it a fair bit, which means Steam's 100 hours is mostly them. The only thing I REMEMBER playing of it was when we tried the backdoor PBEM when hotseat come out.

1 - spent like $30 or so, and played I would guess 200+ hours. Pre CD, had this on 3.5" discs

2 - spent probably $100+ including the scenario pack disks I purchased. Debate if I played this or 3 more, but probably well over 500 hours.

3 - full retail on game and all expansions. Whatever that added up to.

4 - Full retail on game and all expansions. Picked them up all on day 1. All were on discs, that I have now mostly lost. I honestly cannot remember the differences between 3 & 4 other than feeling very disappointed that things like trade and religion were NOT included in the vanilla 4 that I had become used to in 3. I do remember corporations in 4 were way over powered and unbalanced.

5 - bla. Prepurchased, and did so on Steam, so I still have it. Picked up the expansions on various sales usually within a couple months of it being released. Very disappointing, probably have 40-50 hours of playtime (steams 300+ is due to me leaving the game running all night while I slept). Found it to be so disappointing that I am refusing to pick up 6 on prepurchase and will likely wait to see it come down on the christmas sale if they have one.

Call to Power 1 & 2 - loved these. Much better than 2 in terms of usefulness and utility, just wish the AI didn't suck so bad. Not as good as 3, and both came out between so was a good, solid progression.

AC - Picked it up at release. Never purchased the expansion. So many folks loved the modularity. I found it to be a PITA game, with a PITA AI, and just not fun. The backstory was cool, though, and it was about the only part of the game that I felt was redeeming.

BEyond Earth - picked it up on sale ($20 or so I think). Found it dull. Just a reskin on 5.

I've got to say I have no idea about cost or hours, so I'll just describe my favourite or worst moments, if applicable.

Civ 1: Loved it from the moment I installed it, even though I had no idea what I had purchased at the time; I just liked the box and the chunky manual. I can still remember the numerous hours I played it, either co-op with my brother or on my own. Looking back at it the graphics look a bit cringeworthy, but I think there's a lot to be said for less is more. Give the imagaination space to fill in the rest!

Civ 2: Day 1 purchase (or close to). Spent way too many hours in Civ 2. I think this release must have been the one I spent most single player hours on. Bought the MP Gold Edition as soon as it came out and my brother and I gave hotseat a good thrashing! Most vivid memory was playing with FeMme on our tiny Sony laptop in the Indian Himalayas during monsoon season. We seriosuly underestimated how much rain would be around and how much of the day was a lock in. Just as well we had some entertainment, although the rolling balckouts curtailed things once the batteries ran out! :(

Probable split SP/MP over the years would be 85%/15%.

Alpha Centauri: Not too many hours here. I prefer a tech tree I can relate to and I couldn't get past this enough to suck me in. Shame because it is so well regarded in the community. Still playing Civ 2 though.

Call to Power 1: Not too many hours here either. Some nice features but it just didn't feel right. Still playing Civ 2.

Call to Power 2: Ditto. Still playing Civ 2.

Civ 3: I don't know why, but I just didn't get into Civ 3 either. Looking back, I wish I'd found the online crowd earlier; I might have got more out of Civ 3. Still playing Civ 2 though! ;)

Civ 4: Loved it from the word go. I don't know why but something drew me to the internet with this game and I discovered Poly and the community there. Loved the whole SPDG aspect and spent many a long night playing with these other nutters from around the world. I'd hate to think how many hours I have spent in Civ 4 related things. Probable split (SP/MP/Foruming) of 5%/70%/25%.

Civ 5: Had such high hopes for Civ 5. I've never been the greatest fan of stacks of doom and 1UPT sounded so appealing. Hexes also seemed a much better shape to make a map with. After a bit of SP I tried an online game (with Donald I think), which seemed promising until the wack-a-mole combat aspect reared its ugly head. OMG, I almost cried. What had happened to Civ? Interest rapidly detetiorated after that. Back to Civ 4.

Civ Beyond Earth: Not purchased.

Civ 6: I'm cautiously hopeful that Ed will do the right thing and revive the series in my heart. Right now I'd rather play EU4 or CK2 than Civ, but they are SP games for me, as Pitboss or PBEM are realistically the only way I can have a decent MP game. I really hope the PBEM/Pitboss/DG scene gets the attanetion it needs, as they have been the stand out aspect for me over the years. If only these SPers knew the extra dimensions that MP brings to the game......

This is not going to be too accurate I fear.

Civ 1: Came on first computer in 1993. Played it for hundreds of hours.

Colonization: Picked it up 95 or 96. I wasn't at Uni, was working by then so wasn't earlier. Couldn't put it down. (Still play it occasionally).

Civ 2: Can't remember when I picked it up, but didn't play it all that much TBH. Was still playing Colonization.

Call to Power: Remember seeing this in the store and reading it, wondering about it. What the hell, paid for it. Loved it! Found the CtP community at Apolyton, was my first foray into the world of Civ online.

Civ 3: Got it on release day, I remember as it was the first game I ever pre-ordered from the store. Didn't really like it much at all. Didn't play it for long. CtP2 was here!

Call to Power 2: Got it day 1, and just kept playing it. Started modding it when help from Locutus. Learnt SLIC and went to town on the game. Played hundreds and hundreds of hours, played for years and years continuously.

Civ 4: Based on my CtP2 modding, got an invite from Soren to join the Civ 4 Frankenstein team. Got given the signed copy of the game. Bought it from the store, and kept the signed copy unopened. I've also bought a Steam version when it was super cheap years later. Pre-release hours in the thousands, after release hours in the thousands too.

Civ 4 Colonization: Again was on the Franky team so had this one from -1 year. Kept playing it for hundreds of hours, made the patch with sn00py and Kenneth, modded it to hell and back.

Civ 5: Another Fanky team game so was on this one very early on. It didn't capture me like the othe Civs, though now thinking back on it, it could have had a lot to do with having a family around these times. Steam says 298 hours, but that's after release hours. Before release hours probably around 750 hours.

Civ BE: Wasn't on the Franky team by then. Pre-ordered and played from day 1. Not impressed. 54 hours in Steam.

Civ 6: Was definitely not got to pre-order after Civ 5 and Civ BE. However last week's announcement of the 25th anniversary collectors box, and Amazon having it for the same price as Civ 6 is on Steam, bought it.

Civ 1: Pretty sure I bought this on release for my Amiga 500, remember playing 1000's of hours, was a go to game for me.

Civ 2: Also can't remember when I got this, but must have been well after release. Most of the time that I was in college was a gaming graveyard, too much time spent studying.

Call to Power 1 & 2: Sort of remember these being in Jewel cases, did not like them much.

AC: Grabbed it on a sale....ah the days of going software shopping in a real store...wait I don't even miss it. ;) Oh the game, awesome sauce, huge time sink, can't even guess on hours. But...was mad since i always thought it was going to be more like MOO.

Civ 3: Not real sure when I got this one, retail for sure. Played 100's of hours and got me to sign up at Poly.

Civ 4: (Mods clean this up if needed) I totally pirated this game, even though I did not have to, nor do I do this any longer. I later bought the complete pack and started playing some of the excellent mods. Best memory is playing a work buddy in an on-line game between him and me. I told him to click on normal difficulty, and I accidentally clicked on settler. Killed him in ~40 moves, archer rush. Then we started another one and I did it again. LOL I did not tell him for a few days. Steam shows 497 hours played, but that only counted the second coming so to speak.

Civ 4 Colonization: Got this in the CIV4 bundle and played it quite a bit, never finished a game, always quit out.

Civ Rev: Remember playing this on a device (phone?) or some such, not good at all.

Civ 5: Got this on a steam sale, not sure how much, too lazy to look. Steam shows 153 hours, wow, that is more than I would have thought, not a fan of 1UPT in this game, but did not have a problem with it in Warlock.

Civ BE: Played the free weekend, but never bought

Civ 6: Not sure

Can't completely comment on price and time for the earlier games, but here goes:

Civ1: Never played

Civ2: Saw it being played by a friend and thought it looked fun. Picked it up and played my first game as Greece. Didn't know what the hell I was doing, but I was hooked. Played a good bit, though not a lot by the standards of my later games. I also liked the fantasy DLC they created.

Alpha Centauri: Never played.

CTP1: Thought it was fun and had some really good ideas with the space and undersea colonies, slavery and emancipation, and the robot mechs, etc. but it didn't fully capture me.

CTP2: More of the same.

Civ3: My first foray into the gaming community. I started following the strategy forum at Apolyton because of Vel's strategy thread. Got more involved with the strategy forum and then joined the PTW democracy games. And never looked back. I ended up playing a lot of PBEMs and made a lot of online friends, some really good ones like Beta (who I hope is still alive :scared: ) Best memory is probably being invited to join Vox Controli (by Beta) after they lost the war with Gathering Storm, then becoming the turnplayer and making something out of the mountainous rock that Lego gave us. We actually ended up coming in 3rd place since everyone wanted to court us as a "helper" and no one thought we were worth the time to exterminate. :lol:

Civ4: My favorite Civ game by a mile. I played soooo much Civ4, both SP and PBEM/Pitboss that it almost has to be my most played game ever. The only one that could possibly compete is probably Skyrim, but even that one I'm not so sure about. Played in many democracy games too, though my favorite was probably as turnplayer and main strategist of the Apocalypto team here at WPC. I was out of work at the time (fallout from the housing crisis in the U.S. several years ago) so I had a lot of time to devote to the game. We had a decidedly challenging start at the end of a small peninsula, with another human team at the mouth of the peninsula. It was basically kill or be killed, and after a bit of discussion we all went with Con's kill philosophy and surrounded the other team with warriors to cut off their growth until we had the technology to be able to kill them off, setting us up for the next war with the Vikings and finally Southern Cross. I don't remember who designed the map and put all the human teams next to each other, but it was both interesting and a little frustrating. The Vikings and Southern Cross both had AI teams to beat up on. We had no choice but to target human teams since there WERE no AIs next to us.

Civ5: Was initially excited about the game when it came out and played it a lot. But my excitement quickly waned and I realized I didn't like the game anywhere near as much as Civ4. I didn't play for a long time and met the expansion DLC with a resounding "meh". PBEM and Pitboss was what kept me interested in Civ4 long after I was finished playing SP games, so the lack of that type of play in Civ5 also turned me off of the game. I eventually purchased the expansions on Steam sale and tried a new game, and completely dominated it to the point that it was boring. Haven't played since until about an hour or two recently I watched a few Quill18 videos with the community patch and it looked interesting so I fired it up. Unfortunately each time I tried to play with that patch I'd suffer a CTD out of the blue with no warning. :( Probably the lasting impression from Civ5 is that it introduced me to Steam and now I no longer purchase any disks at all. ;)

CivBE: Never played. Had no interest because it looked like just a reskin of Civ5.

Civ6: We'll see. Again it looks a lot like Civ5, but hopefully they've weeded out the "meh" aspects and will have good PBEM/Pitboss play right out of the gate. I hope to be able to enjoy it.

Edited by Rhoth

Heh, was just revisiting some old Civ4 memories here and came across a few bad ones too...namely my ongoing feud with Harovan over a couple of in-game choices of mine in some mutual PBEMs that he...uh, didn't care for. ;) I wonder if he still plays.

Civ 1 Cost: about £40 and bought for the Amiga. No idea how many hours played but a lot. Use to play for a couple of hours after night shifts when I had loads more stamina and didn't need to crash out straight away.

Civ 2 Cost: Again about £40 but this time for PC and probably the one I played most. I still have my Prima Guide.

Civ 2 Test of Time Cost: Don't know about the cost but I did buy it to play hotseat multiplayer and only ever played one game.

Alpha Centauri Cost: £30 and another £5 on GoG. Didn't get into this so much as didn't like the graphics - just too dull

SMACX: However, that didn't stop me buying the expansion and not playing it a huge amount,

Call to Power 1 never bought

Call to Power 2 bought but never played.

Civ 3 Cost: £30 although went back to Civ 2 as the combat was just a bit too random for me.

Civ 3 expansions: bought these of course but same problem with the combat.

Civ 4 Cost: £30 and probably my favourite.

Civ 5 Cost: £35. Didn't get into the initial game but the expansions made it more interesting to the point where I ended up playing a couple of hundred hours and I think this was the game that forced me to join Steam.

Civ Beyond Earth Cost: Didn't buy.

Civ 6 - Going to wait a while.

Civ Boardgame (the Hartland Trefoil one). Played this a couple of times in the 80s which is what made me buy CIV 1 in the early 90s.

Civ1: Had visited an old roommate in 94 and had seen him playing Civ1 and was intregued, but had other RL issues that had kept me away from it.

Civ2: I think it was the gold edition, not sure as I did not play any MP. I was hooked but found boring once getting Howlzers, as they were overpowered, IMHO... especially in combo with Rails... and I did not need Nukes. I did find that I could Rail the Artic band at the top and it took forever, but once build, I didn't need the slow transport... while looking online and had found not only 'poly, but that Civ3 was out and the first SPDG was in process and I was hooked and joined.

Civ3: I had purchased a older but still robust enough (low cashflow) computer to not only be able to Play Civ3 (as well as the 4 versions, once upgrading the vid card), but also do the spreadsheets, IRC Chat, Coreldraw and paint (for screenshots and all of those nice pics that I used tp post... At the time, the SPDG had just finished a war with Persia and we were finally getting our act together, after massively crappy start in the deepest Jungle that I have ever seen in any game since... GK was city Manager, Togas was Foreign Minister, Aro the Master of the Map, UnO had the Jungle Gazette and so, I started to post several spreadsheets wwith info about out opponents. Togas had me join his team as Deputy FM for Trade and helped advise the FM for optimal trade relations. Then, under the New Con, had become the Minister of the Interior (MoI) and then afterwards, Supreme Commander. Afterwards, PTW was coming out, but my cashflow was not allowing me to get it. Still, I had gone with Arnie, GK and Togas to the Roleplay Spain Team, though I wasn't going to be getting the game.

Civ3:PTW GK had gotten this for me and we still have a future time when somehow, we get together and I'm buying the beer :beer: As it was fairly well known that I couldn't get PTW, so me getting it was kept a secret for about a month...

Ah, them were the days. Poly crashing, MZO rising, Inchon/Inchoff (Gathering Storm's Spectacular move), Vox Settlers at Sea to stay alive...

Civ3:Conquest - I think that Con had gotten this for me... no, it was the extra RAMBUS (expensive deadend memory that my computer had and I had not realized it until too late) that I needed to have to be able to play it...

The ISDG... That was with PTW.... Nue Demographica's use of workers and cheap milunits on every coast to prevent out strike at their Forbidden Palace, right after we get Astro and sent off the waiting (and still to this day) Strikeforce that was produced and moved into position to board, in the greatest orchistration of production and logistics... ships built and moved to jump off and arriving in time to load the just built and moved land units, from every city that could and send them off and be right at the point so that the next move, just as we had gotten Astro, would move intto the deep water and hopefully suprise ND...

And Civ had become an Obsession and I had to take the first of several Hiatus away from Civ, the Forums and Gaming in total..... Until I had Come back for the C3C ISDG.

I will post more soon....

:b:

Great thread idea Sharpe and some awesome posts so far. Looking forward to the continuation of your story E_T!

4 - Full retail on game and all expansions. Picked them up all on day 1. All were on discs, that I have now mostly lost. I honestly cannot remember the differences between 3 & 4 other than feeling very disappointed that things like trade and religion were NOT included in the vanilla 4 that I had become used to in 3. I do remember corporations in 4 were way over powered and unbalanced.

I'd agree that the corps were a bit over powered, but I'm glad they were trying things to make the end game more interesting.

I don't remember religion in III, I'm pretty sure IV was the game that introduced it to Civ...

Civ 4 Colonization: Again was on the Franky team so had this one from -1 year. Kept playing it for hundreds of hours, made the patch with sn00py and Kenneth, modded it to hell and back.

Sorry, maybe not the place to ask, but have have you played Civ 4 Col on Steam? It seems to have bugs when you're getting colonists from Europe :/

I was hooked but found boring once getting Howlzers, as they were overpowered, IMHO... especially in combo with Rails... and I did not need Nukes. I did find that I could Rail the Artic band at the top and it took forever, but once build, I didn't need the slow transport... while looking online and had found not only 'poly, but that Civ3 was out and the first SPDG was in process and I was hooked and joined.

Ah yes, howitzers on rails...I do remember the repetitive carnage lol

Without knocking those who still love II, I wouldn't go back there!

Righto

I & Colonization:

I never played Civ I; well not for more than a turn anyway lol. A friend of my younger brother had it, and within seconds of seeing it I was in love lol! My kind of game...

I think my dad picked up on that, because not long after that he bought Colonization for our Amiga (and we didn't buy many games back then :/ ). So that got hammered pretty hard :D I loved the colours, the warm earthen feel to it.

II:

A few years later he bought Civ II for his PC, possibly half as a bribe to get me to drop in to his place more often (I was a distant teenager). E_T's comment about howitzers took me right back to midnight at my dads house in winter, freezing cold, finishing off a world victory game by crushing the opposition with endless tanks and howitzers coming at them instantly!

It was a much greyer game colour wise around the border though, than Colonization, so I don't remember it with as much affection.

SMAC:

I got Alpha Centuri as soon as I could. I really enjoyed the theme, with the leaders of each faction increasing the immersion for me to no end :) I wanted to prioritise science, so played a lot as the University to begin with. The main frustration I had though was that early cities were capped at 4, till you built something that let them grow to 6 from memory. So I eventually switched to the Hive who had the advantage of being able to grow to six right from the get go! The dark theme suited the sci-fi narrative.

III:

I didn't get CivIII right away as the computer was struggling to run Alpha Centuri. It looked awesome though with the animated leaders and the warm earthen colours that I think suit the Civ series down to the ground. The moving unit graphics were a huge step up, and the Civs having different advantages, like in Colonization amd Alpha Centuri was much more interesting to me than them all being the same :D Once again science was always what I considered to be my first priority. And I reasoned that Industry was the next most important, so I started out as Persia. I think I switched to the Ottomans in Play the world for varieties sake, as they were both sci/ind.

Somewhere in there I realised that the finances were often a weakness in my game, so I would actually do better at giving science everything I could if I swapped in commercial to prop up that side of my game. So I finished playing Civ III as France who were Com/Ind. As much as it could be controversial, I liked that ethnicity was used in the game to explain tension between Civs, as opposed to the more random interactions in II. Even more so I loved having borders so the AI couldn't just trample all over my cities without declaring war. That was the most frustrating thing in II!! Oh, that and losing a whole stack of units just cos one unit lost.... Removing that from III was great to me.

IV:

At first Civ IV was a bit of a put off. I had bought it as soon as I could and loved Baba Yetu, and the ever improving graphics. The change however from earthen colours to the blue frame that IV had was not my fav. Even worse was the fluorescent graphs with poorly displayed information! The leaders were cartoony compared to III (sound familiar? ;) ) The change back from isometric squares to 'normal' took a bit of getting used to; as the isometric squares were quite good for showing more of the map. But I did get used to the change, and the graphs were soon improved in early patches, and the brighter colour scheme grew on me...and viola! I thought Civ IV was fantastic! The expressiveness of the leaders soon made their OTTness endearing rather than grating as it had been initially. The much more aggressive barbs was a pain, until I eventually figured out that IV would allow me to keep a decent standing army without crashing my economy! That made the game way more fun than its predecessors.

I had always employed a version of Infinite City Sprawl as I like having a large empire. But unlike better players I was building pretty much every city up to it's full potential.So initially I also struggled with the change made, where the cities themselves cost your economy rather than the buildings. Once I realised though that this mechanism was about punishing those who built cities and left them empty, I was even more happy! Improved resources allowing specific units to be built was a welcome addition; and even moreso the change from ethnicities providing friction to the even more realistic (and possibly more contentious) religion providing said friction. I will accept that it made it a little too easy to know who was pretty much your friend, and who was pretty much your enemy; but it was so true to history that it really made the experiance really immersive for me. The collateral damage seemed to strike a nice balance between stacks being unrealistically vulnerable in II, and being too strong in III, even if suicidal catapults is a bit odd haha.

As to traits, I liked the expansion of categories. I started out playing Victoria from memory, liking her expansive/financial combo. Industry still held a strong sway for me, but in IV it's advantages were limited more to wonders only. I tried out both American leaders, and Qin too; and a bit of Julius Ceaser; before finally settling on Catherine the Great. She was financial (which I still saw having as good to prop up a weakness in my play) and creative had gradually appealed more and more to me as I wanted quick border expansion, giving me access to all 20 squares, without having to build the Oracle in my capital.

Unfortunately no one in Warlords had that combo! Catherine picked up Imperialistic in the place of financial. From memory, I now preferred creative as my main trait, so I switched between Louis XIV and Augustus Ceaser while playing Warlords.

It was a big relief when BTS came out and the Dutch were present with both financial and creative. I still often play the Netherlands in IV today.

Civ IV Col:

Civ 4 Colonization was a great rebuild. I still enjoy the narrower time period, and the dynamics of controlling the flow of resources and commodities. There was the improved workers who no longer had to keep getting new tools to work with (haha). I mostly continued playing as the Dutch what with their financial advantages; preferring Adriaen van der Donck with the 100% increase in time between tax increases. Sadly I have it on steam now (dunno where the cd copy I had is)...and it seems to have an issue with colonists in Europe :( Too bad, because I enjoy it as much as Civ.

CivRev:

Civ what? I play pretty much exclusively huge maps on marathon. Rev was never going to be something I'd care for lol.

V:

So V had a lot to live up to. 1UPT didn't grab me, as I felt that the scale was all wrong for it. I knew that some still didn't like stacks in IV, but I felt that 1UPT was an over kill reaction. I held off buying it until I bought a new PC in 2013. By then Brave New World had been released, so it is the only build of V I have played much of. The game has grown on me, but I still don't see it as superior to IV. Moving all those units around individually is a chore, especially when you just want to pair up a military unit with a settler or missionary etc. I like the way trade routes are handled, and that they can be attacked, making a navy more relevant in all games :) The graphics are beautiful, and in many ways even with the art-deco, it is a return to the more earthen feel l liked about III. Yet the colourful IV had changed my thinking about that. Pillaged fields and improvements are scary true to real life war. The leaders are the best we've seen appearance wise, yet they're far less animated than IV, far more wooden. It doesn't always feel like there's a lot going on.

I don't mean to just bag it, and be all negative. Some people love V - good for them. I def found it less immersive than IV. It's good for gamers I spose, that the leaders are all more aggressive, as in wanting to win no matter what. That's what we're doing too. But I enjoyed the immersive feel of building relationships in IV that weren't easily broken. The reasons for relationship break down in V are less tied to how well you treat someone or not. It would look to me like VI has a good answer to this with having both known and unknown leader agendas.

The happiness thing is a bit of a drag, but I've been playing V more than IV lately, trying to give it a good nudge, so I'm getting better at finding ways to keep them happy...but it's still not fun. You'd think that being part of a successful empire (and therefore safe) would make citizens happy lol; at least till the late game where we become more aware of other suffering etc. City states are cool, but a little immersion breaking, as there is no reason that they shouldn't be able to grown into civs in their own right. But I accept that using religion and ethnicity as the prime friction makers is not only controversial, but also makes relationships in game maybe a bit too predictable; so I get that they wanted a different driver for tension, and city states are it.

I play V almost exclusively as Alexander. I looked through the list of advantages, and felt that one which took care of relations almost entirely with city states was too good to pass up! Early game you don't get much advantage out of it, but he has great early game UU's so that's all good lol.

BE:

I have only played a little BE. My brother has it, so I've given it a roll a couple of times. V probably reduced my enthusiasm for it.

VI:

I'm very much looking forward to VI. Yes, it's retaining city states and 1UPT, but with large improvements to both. I'm trying to keep my excitement in check, but every video I see shows me something else which makes me think they've made it awesome! A lot of thought has gone into it, and even though the graphics are more cartoony I know from past experiences that this can be a good thing. The new leaders already look far more alive than their predecessors in V! Once again the barbs are more aggressive again! It does feel a bit like the change from III to IV in a few different ways :)

The introduction of casus belli is just awesome; as a non war monger, my wars have often been about preventing aggression against me. And the delayed effects are true to life (Nothing like having the Huns call you out for being a war monger in 200BC lol). And I LOVE the day night graphic cycle! I've wanted to see that since it was part of the opening screen with baba yetu playing *contented sigh*

Anyway. That's much of my history with Civ :)

Hope I haven't bored the pants off anyone lol, as this longer than anything you all wrote. zzzzzzzZzzzzzz

With the whole marathon huge map thing, I play mostly single player, but I'd be down for getting into some more multiplayer at some point...

Looks like you've got some competition for longest post E_T! ;)

:lol:

I dare anyone to have longer spreadsheets than E_T though. :scared:

I have seen some of Arn's spreadsheets.... they would be close. Naaaaa, who am I kidding! Even mine from back when I played Eve Online were not that intense. ;)

Looks like you've got some competition for longest post E_T! ;)

Meh...

:lol:

I dare anyone to have longer spreadsheets than E_T though. :scared:

I have seen some of Arn's spreadsheets.... they would be close. Naaaaa, who am I kidding! Even mine from back when I played Eve Online were not that intense. ;)

Hehe, Y'all do know that I had developed a Version of my sheets for BTS?? Due to the added complexities within the game, I had to have each city split into two separate sheets (interlinked), with several other sheets that Included: Empire wide settings (map size, difficulty, Civ, Leader, governemtn at any time, trait, some Wonder effects, Religions and Corporations) that the city sheets was linked to, as well as a few other sheets; Budget sheet that took the stuff from the city sheets and was used for cashflow and research budgeting (including Unit cost and upkeep, trade in/out, city upkeep due to map position, civic, wonders and traits, slider settings); Secondary Budget sheet that only passed and computed city values for cities that could not fit into the main budget sheet (and even a third for very large empires). Also had worker tasking sheet, Tech cost and tech intelligence record sheet, City overlap flags so that would show a warning in case I accidentally tried to have two (or more in rare cases) cities set to use the same tile...

It also required a ton of custom programmed functions that not only parsed and set flags from character strings or multiple passed variables or pointers to variables. One of my best simplifications for parameters passed between sheets was the creation of strings that reflected various flag states for various things and thus only need one variable (or link between the sheets) and then testing the string for a preset state...

Civ6 will be even more complex than 4 was and I am just going to try to enjoy it without... or atleeast, anyything so encompancing, but I will still have something, but never so complex again....

Sorry, maybe not the place to ask, but have have you played Civ 4 Col on Steam? It seems to have bugs when you're getting colonists from Europe :/

It's been a really long time since I last played. I still prefer the likes of Col1 and Imperialism2 to Civ4Col. And it doesn't surprise me there's still bugs in the game. :)

Shame, it was a really good game.

Did you ever try my extended version? Which added in colonising Oceania, extra nations and heaps of other stuff? :D

Meh...

Hehe, Y'all do know that I had developed a Version of my sheets for BTS?? Due to the added complexities within the game, I had to have each city split into two separate sheets (interlinked), with several other sheets that Included: Empire wide settings (map size, difficulty, Civ, Leader, governemtn at any time, trait, some Wonder effects, Religions and Corporations) that the city sheets was linked to, as well as a few other sheets; Budget sheet that took the stuff from the city sheets and was used for cashflow and research budgeting (including Unit cost and upkeep, trade in/out, city upkeep due to map position, civic, wonders and traits, slider settings); Secondary Budget sheet that only passed and computed city values for cities that could not fit into the main budget sheet (and even a third for very large empires). Also had worker tasking sheet, Tech cost and tech intelligence record sheet, City overlap flags so that would show a warning in case I accidentally tried to have two (or more in rare cases) cities set to use the same tile...

It also required a ton of custom programmed functions that not only parsed and set flags from character strings or multiple passed variables or pointers to variables. One of my best simplifications for parameters passed between sheets was the creation of strings that reflected various flag states for various things and thus only need one variable (or link between the sheets) and then testing the string for a preset state...

Civ6 will be even more complex than 4 was and I am just going to try to enjoy it without... or atleeast, anyything so encompancing, but I will still have something, but never so complex again....

Hell, I'd love to see these!

It's been a really long time since I last played. I still prefer the likes of Col1 and Imperialism2 to Civ4Col. And it doesn't surprise me there's still bugs in the game. :)

Shame, it was a really good game.

Did you ever try my extended version? Which added in colonising Oceania, extra nations and heaps of other stuff? :D

No, I'd like to give it a go though...can it be downloaded from Steam or anywhere else?

No, I'd like to give it a go though...can it be downloaded from Steam or anywhere else?

You can grab it here.

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=110

Change log:

v1.12

REQUIRES:

* Firaxis Official Patch 1.01f (Please download and install before attempting to install AoD2).

INCLUDES:

* PatchMod

* Player Achievements

* Advisor Menus

* Jeckels Trade Screens

* Some of Col-classic's music

* Koma's revised Europe Screen

* Jenks Land of Our Fathers

* PiMan's New Australia & Australia Civs

* NeverMind's New Russia & Russia Civs

* Ermak leaderhead changed to remove height bug (thanks Deliverator)

* Younflancy's New China & China Civs

* Zuul's More Buildings mod

NEW:

* Aesthetics:

* Intro movie (Vengelis - Titans; Pirates of the Burning Seas)

* Main menu and loading screens

* New main menu music (Trailerhead - Age of Discovery)

* 40 new songs from the period (Hesperus - Colonial America & Early American Roots)

* Cheat Menu (CTRL-SHIFT-Z):

* AI Autoplay options

* Add gold options

* Traits:

* Devout: +25% Cross production

* Exporter: Free Cargo Hold promotion (naval) (LooF)

* Seafarer: Free Navigation I promotion (naval) (LooF)

* Explorer: -50% scout equipment required, Seasoned Scout starts with Explorer I & II (LooF)

* Units:

* Added Carrack (replace caravel): 3 move, 3 strength, 3 cargo - unique unit for Portuguese

* Added Fluyt (replace caravel): 3 move, 3 strength, 3 cargo - unique unit for Dutch

* Added Pirate Brig (replace caravel): - unique unit for Pirates

* Added Pirate Ship (replace Privateer): 4 move, 3 strength, 3 cargo - unique unit for Pirates & Pirate Council

* Added Pirate colonist: 1 move, 0 strength, SOLDIER default profession

* Added colony fortress auto bombard enemy ships in adjacent waters when cannon in colony (50% chance hit/5% chance to sink).

* Added new promotion: Cargo Holds - +1 cargo bay (LooF)

* Added ability to change cargo bays by profession

* Added War Galleon (new unit): unique unit for Kings (same specs as Galleon)

* Buildings:

* Added ability to define a building as single instance (only one allowed for nation)

* Added ability to define obsoleting building classes

* Added Zuul's More Buildings mod

* First colony built by each player receives a small set of buildings

* Base Camp & Carpenter's Shelter default buildings

* Warehouse, Expansion, Custom house sale percentage = 10%, 25%, 50%

* Warehouse buildings excess sale amounts from (CITY_YIELD_DECAY_PERCENT * excess) to (overflow sale percent * excess)

* Nations:

* Added New Portugal - colour DARK PURPLE

* Prince Henry Aviz: Seafarer (Thanks Ekmek for LH)

* Martim de Sousa: Exporter (Thanks C.Roland for LH)

* Civ trait: Explorer

* Portuguese Leader Diplomacy texts

* Added Portugal Europe - colour PURPLE (Portugal LH from Civ4)

* Added Tortuga - colour GREY

* Pirate King Captain Lowther (Thanks Ekmek for LH)

* New "Tortuga" screen which replaces the Europe screen

* Added Pirates - colour BLACK (NOTE: You have to modify Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml to activate them)

* Henry Morgan: Resourceful (Thanks Amra for LH)

* Bartholomew Roberts: Industrious (Thanks The Capo for LH)

* Civ trait: Militaristic

* Added new tag in Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml: bPirates - indicates this Civ is a Pirate Civ (for specific processing)

* Pirates don't pay taxes (or get tax rises).

* Pirate Soldier graphics fixed (thanks BioHazard).

* No Pirates till after turn 30 (if AI controlled)

* Added new tag in Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml: RevArtDefineTage - what the Civs art definition is changed to on revolution

* Added revolution flags for all Civs (England - BetsyRoss, France - Quebec, Spain - Argentina, Netherlands - Netherlands Antilles, Portugal - Brazil)

* Added new tag: bFromWest to indicate Civ begins on the west of the map

* Maps:

* Added Colonization I map (random bonuses and Indian placement)

* Added Columbus Dream map (random bonuses and Indian placement)

* Added ability to sail to the east or west coast (if known) from Europe.

* Added Regenerate Map button to Main Menu popup (like Civ4)

* Fountain of Youth:

* Added the Fountain of Youth event

* Triggered by the popping of one goody hut per game

* New screen with re-mixed original music from FoY of Colonization 1

* All nations receive a random boost (5-15) of immigrants on someone finding the FoY

* Religion/Immigration:

* Establishing missions now have an increasing failure chance based on success missions and difficulty.

* Failed missions will have a negative impact on the Natives.

* Regional Natives:

* Added new region tags in Civ4CivilizationInfos.xml

* bAsianNative - indicates this Civ is a Asian Native (for specific processing)

* bNAmericanNative - indicates this Civ is a North American Native (for specific processing)

* bSAmericanNative - indicates this Civ is a South American Native (for specific processing)

* bAfricanNative - indicates this Civ is a African Native (for specific processing)

* bPacificNative - indicates this Civ is a Pacific Native (for specific processing)

* Added new region tags in WBS files

* bWBAsianNative

* bWBNAmericanNative

* bWBSAmericanNative

* bWBAfricanNative

* bWBPacificNative

* Added ability to define world regions in the map and which Natives appear in those regions

* Production:

* Added ability to hurry yield shortages on build menu.

* Victory Conditions (not available to Kings):

* Added ECONOMIC victory based on total goods traded (all trading methods, buy and sell).

* Added INDUSTRIALISATION victory based on total yield rate per turn (all yield types including bells, crosses and books).

* Added PIRATE PLUNDER victory based on total amount plundered from ships and towns (for Pirates).

CHANGE:

* Nation changes:

* Dutch Europe colour to ORANGE

* Changed Dutch start unit to Fluyt (from Merchantman)

* Map changes:

* Changed number of nations on all World sizes.

* World dimensions increased (effective 2 times playing area).

* World Map now called New World Map.

* New XML tag in Civ4EuropeInfos.xml iWestTripLength to store trip times for western nations

* Exposed CvCivilizationInfo::isFromWest() to python

* Exposed CvEuropeInfo::getWestTripLength() to python

* All players on huge map

* Religion/Immigration changes:

* Immigration threshold increase percent 10% (from 25%). This slows down cross requirement growth.

* Converted natives can no longer become missionaries.

* AI will now hurry immigrants on the docks.

* The speed of AI immigration is determined by difficulty.

* REF changes:

* Tripled size of starting REF.

* REF threshold start 150 (from 75).

* REF increase cap based on handicap.

* REF uses War Galleon instead of Galleon for transporting units

* REF land unit's strength is influenced by handicap level

* REF lands units MUCH better

* Rebel Sentiment changes

* Each colonist has their own RS on a percentage scale

* Each colony's CRS is based on each colonist's RS in the colony

* Global GRS is based on the RS of all units except those on the docks in Europe

* Producing bells has an upward effect on all colonist's RS, the more bells the more upwards movement

* Statemen in colonies raise the RS of units on the colony's plot on the map (eg: soldiers)

* RS generation takes into account gameSpeed & handicap

* Colonist's RS is now shown on the scale in the Revolution Advisor screen

* What affects colonist RS:

* City bell production (raises)

* Accepting tax rises (lowers)

* Not accepting tax rises (raises)

* Kissing pinky (lowers)

* Refusing to kiss pinky (raises)

* On higher difficulty levels, as Rebel Sentiment gets high there is a small chance the King will declare war on you first.

* Education changes:

* Education threshold does not increase. Static education costs throughout game.

* Education gold cost more static. Defined by education level.

* Multiple colonists can graduate each turn.

* Education buildings now define city's education level (schoolhouse level 1, college level 2, university level 3).

* Professions now have a minimum education level to learn. For example stateman requires level 3 building.

* Can only train specialists that exist in that city, and have the correct education level building.

* Profession chosen and paid for at start of education.

* Petty Criminal and Indentured Servant cannot be educated in either education buildings or tribes.

* Governor won't place automated citizens in education buildings if human player.

* Unit changes:

* Changed caravel: 4 move (from 3)

* Colonists can now join cities after moving (like founding cities). Does not include outside jobs such as scout, military, pioneer, missionary.

* Can now set profession after moving (like clear profession).

* Converted native can no longer be educated at Indian settlements (can be trained at school as normal).

* Wagon trains can no longer be loaded onto ships.

* Cannon no longer has +100% colony attack.

* Veteran Soldier +50% colony attack and defense.

* Upped Looter promotion from +50% to +100% gold from pillaging (LooF)

* Attack crossing river modifier now -20% (was -10%) (LooF)

* Amphibious promotion now requires Veteran4 (up from Veteran2) (LooF)

* Trade ships (caravel, carrack, fluyt, merchantman, galleon, pirate brig) can trade in European colony ports without open border agreement.

* Units with no profession (eg: ships) can now "Speak with Chief"

* Must speak with chief before trading with natives.

* Indentured Servant can no longer be a soldier, dragoon or missionary.

* Petty Criminal can no longer be a soldier, dragoon or missionary.

* Indentured Servants become Free Colonists after 20-40 turns (gain their freedom). This is scaled to GameSpeed.

* Petty Criminals become Free Colonists after 40-80 turns (serve their term). This is scaled to GameSpeed.

* Frigate now starts with Navigation I.

* Can buy Free Colonist in Europe for 750.

* Privateers, Pirate brig, and Pirate Ship start with Skirmisher I

* Canister Shot I, II & III gives +10%, +15% & +25% versus gunpowder units

* Minuteman III gives +30% settlement defense, +10% vs Melee units & +10% vs Gunpowder units

* Western Civs now start facing east

* Founding Father changes (on top of LoOF):

* Pedro Alvarez Cabral switched positions in the Exploration FF tree with Jacques Marquette

* Washington Irving moved forwards to be the 3rd father in the Political FF tree

* Washington Irving gives +25% education in all settlements

* Sor Juana switched positions with Thomas Hooker in the Religion FF tree

* Sor Juana gives +1 cross per Town Hall, +2 crosses per church, +4 crosses per Cathedral

* Ethan Allen gives +2 Cannons and Mountaineer I & Ranger I for gunpowerder units

* William Penn gives +1 cross per Town Hall, free church all settlements

* Alexander von Humboldt gives +50% production of schools, colleges & universities

* Peter Minuit gives -50% price of Indian lands

* Pocahontas gives +2 Indian relations and 1 convert

* Chief Powhatan gives -20% price of Indian lands, as well as +50% Indian convert str, and +1 movement converts

* Hernando de Soto gives +100% production of Stables and Ranch, +1 Rancher

* Ben Franklin gives +4 soldiers, +4 cannons, +1 Frigate & +1 ship of the line

* William Brewster gives +25% production of churches and cathedrals, and -10% crosses required for immigration

* "All Men are Free" now gives two free colonists

* Interface changes:

* Europe screen now represents an actual dock.

* Colonist's RS is now shown on the scale in the Revolution Advisor screen (only in SP games).

* Yield changes:

* European horses tripled in price.

* European tools tripled in price.

* European muskets very expensive (but still able to profit from natives early in game).

* Stable produces 3 horse per colonist, ranch 6 horse per colonist

* Silver YieldPriceChangePercent brought in line with all other yields (10 -> 1)

* YieldPriceChangePercent halved (2 -> 1)

* Tax Trade Theshold doubled (can trade more before a tax rise)

* AI changes:

* AI will buy a better navy

* AI will have more money based on handicap.

* AI will rush immigration now.

* AI more immigration scaled to handicap

* Other changes:

* Changed text "Reveals all Tiles with [x]" ... to "Reveals all [x]" to increase on screen space [English only] (LooF)

* Changed text "2x as likely chance to get Treasure from Ancient ruins" (LooF)

* Increased gold from capturing enemy colonies up to 20 gold, +20 gold per population (was +10gold per pop) (LooF)

* Increased growth of native villages (reduced threshold for growth by 20%, from 100 to 80) (LooF)

* In line with bigger maps and faster immigration, number of game turns for each game speed increased (300/450/900/1200).

* Disciplined trait also gives -50% equipment needed for dragoons.

* Co-operative trait now gives -50% equipment needed for pioneers.

* Europe text change to Homeland

I, II, III: never played.

SMAC/X: played an ungodly amount of SP, MP, and when I got bored with this started heavily modding it (wrote the "How to" procedures for modding the alpha(x).txt and Faction.txt files among other things), and generating Scenarios so that I could continually have a large stable of games to play against.

IV: specs said I could play the game on the computer I had at the time. About all I could do was play the demo. Didn't get into IV till BTS, but the sci-fi elements were still lacking at that time.

V: got it and played over 2,000 hours according to Steam, almost exclusively using Spatzimaus' AC mod.

BE: played over 1,000 hours so far. Currently my go to game, even though I really don't get hooked into the late game the way I did with SMACX.

VI: will wait and see if there is a futuristic element to the game (I'm hoping the devs will fold in some of BEs features, such as orbitals and Mechs, into a near-future era). Currently though the answer is I'm not getting it.

Other Civ-type games

I've played an ungodly amount of a game called Deadlock. Its like a streamlined version of SMACX, and the animated leaderheads would endlessly taunt you throughout the game). Don't get the game thru Steam, as apparently the Steam version can't be played on most computers.

D

Aah forgot Colonization. Many happy hours on the Amiga with the first one. The remake no so good until Dale's patch/mod?? Made it playable and I think I might go install it again this weekend.

Yeah been playing Civ4Col all this week. With my mod of course. :p

Hey guys!!

Lets see...had a 60 " Television and my son way back in high school had a playstation 2 and played a game that mesmerized me, Civilization!

Anyhoo, he went surfing and then to work and then on a date, returning somewhere around 12 hours after have left house, and I was on the same game (I started a game played like 1-2 hours saw some mistakes and restarted then played 16 straight hours!

I played everyday and then my wife stated enough I had to get my own PC version to free up the TV, so went to Babbages (what Gamestop was called back then) and asked for the Civ game and she said well we just got in the new version of Civ called Call To Power!

I then got so bit by CTP and the rest is history. Maybe 40 or so dollars and still play and Mod to this day!

I still play CIV on PS2 while walking on my treadmill, play CIV III Conquests, CIV IV BTS (Dale you got me the birthday present and still use to this day!!!!!) I got CIV 5 but dont play I never cared for or got into one unit in a city to defend, may/may not get CIV 6..but didnt get the expansion packs for CIV 5.

Along the way played and still own CTP2 as well as Alpha Centauri and Colonization.

CTP and BTS have been mainstays with Civ series since the beginning, thoroughly enjoyed back in the day playing CIV III Conquests PBEM with Paddy The Scot and you Dale! Loved playing scenarios with CIV III Conquests, War in the Pacific I think....and another involved Roman Empire era very cool the way we did it, played turns, posted stories on Apolyton along with pictures, to bring the game to life!

I also played CIV REV, just wished there was a way to extend gameplay! Loved the graphics just wish we could have the option to extend game or even make it a deathmatch or Conquests instead of winning via culture or score!!!!

Ok thats my history and pray you all are doing well!

Take care

Keep Civin

Grandpa Troll