Standup

BREXIT

68 posts in this topic

Yeah, but wasn't Major at least a decent PM, in the long run?

In hindsight he's beginning to look not bad although its always interesting how you measure these things. I think history will judge David Cameron and Theresa May harshly though.

Meanwhile just when you think it can't get any worse the next UK Prime Minister looks like being someone who's friends struggle to find positive things to say about him. Aside from a well documented list of personal failings he's about to be elected by around 150,000 people who are predominantly male,white and over 65. This is a similar number to the membership of the Scottish National Party to put it in context. There's only 500 members in Northern Ireland which perhaps reflects why in a recent survey where Brexit was more important than the Union.

This of course by a strange coincidence matches the group most enthusiastic about Brexit and the most reactionary. If it wasn't so serious it would be hilarious  watching all the candidates and then the final two lurch to the far right with very targeted promises - almost as if most of the country doesn't matter. Forget Corbyns' magic money tree (Where Labour were criticised for spending promises) they've got nothing on some of the recent proposals. More hospitals, police, schools but at the same time a lot less tax.

Meanwhile Labour are still sitting on the fence as regards to Brexit despite just about every single opinion poll saying they're losing votes because no one knows what their position is.

To think we use to look patronisingly on the States for electing Trump.  

So Boris as Prime Minister.

At least I can claim I've met him - he was lost at my local train station so we had a chat while I pointed him the right direction and we waited for the London train. Admittedly not the greatest claim but much as I dislike his politics ( I think - not entirely clear what they are) he was pleasant enough. While that may not seem much I interviewed a lot of MPs when I was a journalist and most were complete and utter arses who couldn't even be polite.

Considering some of the disheveled pictures I've seen of Boris, I'm somehow not surprised he was lost in a train station. 

1 person likes this

Honestly, I don't follow British politics.  I try to not follow Merican politics, but the media doesn't let me.

Well, we will see how things progress over the next few months...

At work we're planning for a General Election in October although the logic has moved from Boris wants to cement his position to Boris loses vote of confidence.

To be fair our election coverage plans have been reviewed most weeks in the last year whereas its normally "what did we do 5 years ago?" 

Very much so. Still on going....

Good joke from a former Bulgarian minister.

“The year is 2192,” he wrote. “The British prime minister visits Brussels to ask for an extension of the Brexit deadline. No one remembers where this tradition originated, but every year it attracts many tourists from all over the world.”

A General Election and I'm fed up already.

The main parties seem to have retreated to the far left and right but it's all about Brexit so nobody seems to have noticed.

The Brexit Party (formerly UKIP although they're still going) is at war with the Tories as their Brexit isn't hard enough. Labour's position remain vague. The Lib Dems hope for greater things but the first past the post system means its unlikely. Scotland will probably end up a one party state again. And in Northern Ireland people look likely to continue to vote on religious lines regardless of policies.

Still at least at work i can bounce any project requests with a "don't you know there's an election on???"

It is so far away to the US guys, but wanting for it to be over, one way or another.

We got the Impeachment and subsequent Acquittal to go through first off, so...

Well that was all a bit unexpected.

Main themes...everyone is bored with Brexit whatever their view, Corbyn has little support outside his own cult of worshippers, Scotland does its own thing (again) and Liberal Democrats despite actually increasing their share of the vote almost disappear.

Well 3 weeks later and the UK hasn't ended (yet). Admittedly Christmas got in the way but the Queens Speech (where governments set out their objectives and legislation for the year) was a rerun of the earlier one that got kick into touch.  Big emphasis on Infrastructure spending and some stuff around minimum wage increases and the tax breaks for the rich seem to have disappeared. The Tory win was very dependent on the North of England so interesting to see how much a traditional left of centre area influences policies and what they government does to keep their votes.

Brexit remains a big unknown but is pretty much happening even if no one knows how. Be interesting to see if some of the nutters   right wing Cabinet members are replaced by MPs from the centre of the party or at least not from the fringes. Talent or politics or rewarding loyalty?

From a personal point of view looks like my job is going to disappear as there's a lot of hostility to my employer ( a well known British broadcaster) and a huge income cut is on the cards.

Scotland continues to demand independence and I'm wondering how I can qualify for a Scottish passport as despite growing up there I wasn't actually born there but the rest of my family was. 

Wonder how this is going, with COVID-19

Apparently full steam ahead. It does feel its become Brexit at all costs as depending on which papers you read the UK government is determined to go it alone and avoid working with Europe despite the possible consequences. The UK appears to have opted out of several pan European schemes around medical equipment (or missed the email according to the government).

A lot of people have suggested that now is maybe not the time for one of the biggest unknown steps in UK Economic history but the government has said no reason to delay.

In fact if anything amongst some groups its seen as all the more reason to go our own way - why should we bail out those feckless southern Europeans? Blitz spirit and all that.

Personally I was hoping it might sway some of the more determined Brexiteers to think about some of the detail such as how vital immigrants have been to the NHS and frontline services but then this is the party that cheered a 0% pay award for nurses a few years ago. It's also highlighted the lack of manufacturing in the country and all those stories such as how Dyson was going to build thousands ventilators turned out to be nonsense. One of the lead stories today on the BBC News site is about the arrival of loads of PPE equipment from China presumably as none of the promised  locally manufactured stuff materialised. 

I'm biased in that I was vaguely remain but the last few weeks have hardened my view that leaving the EU is a big mistake as we very much don't seem to have the leadership or capability to go our own way.

This story made me laugh in an ironic way 

Eastern European workers flown in UK