Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sharpe

Stardew Valley

10 posts in this topic

Started playing this a bit so far (only 90 minutes), but read on gamespot that the eventual 1.1 update will contain co-op multiplayer and other enhancements - considering this is a one man project may take a little while (except the MP is seemingly being done by publisher Chucklefish):

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/stardew-valley-multiplayer-console-ports-confirmed/1100-6439416/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=hub_platform

Been on my wishlist for a bit. How is it working out?

Yeah, this is a game I've heard so many good things about and I've thought about grabbing. I loved Harvest Moon back in the day and this seems like a lot of that.

Besides playing my 90-odd minutes, I've also been following Mathasgames youtube series on it:

Been on my wishlist for a bit. How is it working out?

Well finally got to sink some major time into it (up to 9 hours of play - about 7 hours in my 2nd farm world):

- been concentrating on major farming and some mining and lots of foraging so far

- currently 34 days in (28 days in each season - so all of spring and the 1st 6 days of summer)

- been ignoring fishing and most socializing so far

- have been doing a wide variety of crops so far - potatoes the most in spring, blueberries the most in summer

- have had to redo the mining several times as you have to go down 5 floors for it to "save" your progress - and 3 or so times I only reached the 3rd or 4th floor of 5 when midnight came

- died once - embarrassed by that :(

Really like it so far :D

You have a lot of things you can do:

- socializing to get friends (and eventually marriage with someone) by giving them gifts, doing quests for them and chatting with them

- building new buildings on your farm (like silos to store wheat, coops for chickens, barn for goats and cows, stable for a horse - once you have enough money and the items needed to build them

- adding to your house - 1st stage gets you a kitchen but requires a lot of money and items

- getting a wide variety of crops (different seeds to buy each season - except winter I hear)

- craft a lot of items - like furnaces to smelt ore, mayonnaise maker to turn eggs into mayo, etc.

- do a variety of quests

- get items for the community centre bundles

- mine - 1st mine is supposedly 120 levels then there is a 2nd one in the desert area once you can reach the desert (requires a major community bundle reward from donating a lot of cash)

- turn in artifacts and minerals at the library for rewards (mostly furniture it seems)

- pick up items near roads or in the forest (ie foraging)

Reached the early days of fall now - got a pile of money with the spring and summer crops - up to nearly 60,000 gold in revenue (yeah not that much compared to some but at least I got 2 achievements out of it). I'm back down to below 8500 gold in cash due to purchasing fall crops and the increase of the backpack to the seemingly maximum size of 36 slots.

Had a problem one time starting it - got a black screen with tweeting birds - thankfully there was a thread on steam with a solution for it - so got it working again.

Nearing the end of the Year 2 Spring (up to 40 hours of play - 38 of them in this world) - things have slowed down a bit - winter was fairly boring - mostly mined and foraged and tried to fish and miserably failed.

After getting nowhere with fishing, I installed the "easy fishing" mod - still having some trouble but less than before - might be because I'm only level 1/10 in fishing. Hoping I don't have to install the "very easy fishing" mod (yes there is such a thing :lol:).

Working on social relations more - got Penny up to 7 hearts/10 and Abigail to 6 hearts/10 and a whole bunch more at 2-4 hearts (and some I haven't bothered levelling or I've lost hearts on by not giving them gifts each week or talking to them).

I'm down to level 65 in the mine so reportedly about halfway down to the bottom. Haven't completed any room in the community center yet but I'm getting close.

In the 2nd year they add 1 more crop seed to buy at the store - got garlic for spring (ironic since I can't tolerate garlic in real-life ;) ). Upgraded about half of my tools - some to the 1st level (copper), some to the 2nd (steel). The copper watering can is useful in that it can water up to 3 plots at a time, but I have so many plots that it takes me past noon to water things - then another hour to do the chickens, cows, check the mushroom cave every other day and see if my tree tapers or bee houses have produced anything. Really like rainy days as you don't need to water that day hehe - should produce some sprinkers perhaps, but the iridium sprinkers seem so much better (water 24 nearby plots) versus the next level down (water 8 adjacent plots) or the one down from that (adjacent 4 plots). Mind you I don't have any iridium and not likely to get any soon :(.

Haven't figured out how to post screenshots - my new computer won't let me take them for some reason (says I disabled them to goto the onedrive system ?)

Edited by Sharpe

I'm in the middle of Year 2 Fall now. One thing I've found out is that the quality sprinkers (require 1 iron, 1 gold and 1 refined quartz each) are a must if you have a large sized crop area. Before the sprinkers were set up it took me from 6am to past 1pm and nearly all of my energy to water my crops - now its easy :D .

Got a machine that duplicates minerals (crystalarium) - so I've been churning out copies of diamonds.

Also got a seed maker machine - useful to fill in crop spots without having to go to the store (especially when they're closed on Wednesdays) - but sometimes it is a 1 seed from 1 crop tradeoff - so not useful then.

Got a preserves jar to make jams from fruits from completing a community bundle - takes a few days to work though.

Have had tappers on the trees for a while to get pine tar, maple syrup and resin every few days or so - as well as a bee house to get honey (though it is better when certain flowers are nearby the bee houses to get better types of honey - until the end of the season that is).

Also got a recycling machine from a community bundle completion - allows me to convert my fishing junk into more useful items like refined quartz, wood and stone.

Expanded my barn and coop to the "Big" size - only have the deluxe size after that - so unlocked and bought ducks and goats. Increased the amount of cheese presses from 2 to 4 (to convert milk into cheese) and increased the amount of mayonnaise machines (eggs into mayo) from 2 to 4 as well.

Thinking about building a charcoal kiln (wood into coal) and some kegs (fruit and vegetables into beer, wine, and juice) soon.

Edited by Sharpe

Just reached Day 1 of Winter Year 2. May take a break for a bit as I find winter a bit dull - plus I'm at around 63 hours of play so far (though likely less than that due to some afking ...).

Got a shock when I bought the deluxe barn upgrade - not from the barn but buying a sheep and pig for it - 8000 gold for the sheep and 16000 gold for the pig - on top of 25000 gold for the barn - left me with only a couple thousand of gold left - down from nearly 60000 gold - ouch! Thankfully I've recovered to about 30000 gold by the end of fall and passed 330,000 gold in revenue so far.

Doing better at fishing - slowly rose to level 3 - but I read on the wiki that getting items from crab pots also increases your fishing skill slowly so I should start working on some.

Made a charcoal kiln, an oil maker and 2 kegs - made one to turn fruit into wine and one to turn vegetables into beer/ale/juice but wines take a lot longer to do it seems. Also made a loom to turn wool into cloth (though my sheep is still a baby and so hasn't made any wool yet) - but wanted to get the ability to get cloth for the community center bundle, but then ironically got cloth as a gift from Emily the day after I made the loom ;).

Edited by Sharpe

It looks really interesting. I loved the original harvest moon. I tried watching the YouTube series you posted but I couldn't stand the guy.