Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arnelos

Rising Tide

9 posts in this topic

Am I the only one playing this?

It's buggy, to be sure (seems pushed for release before it was out of beta), but I'm enjoying the new features.

That's... I dunno what that is.

I mean, it's not the most incredible game of Civ I've ever played, but the name of the site is "We Play Civ" and it's a Civ game, dagnabit.

I guess I should try to write a bit of a review?

Short version: I'm enjoying myself, but I'd recommend waiting to purchase it until after they've fixed the bugs. This is actually a good game, but it's very clearly a beta.

Short version: I'm enjoying myself, but I'd recommend waiting to purchase it until after they've fixed the bugs.

I've been waiting for someone I know and trust to post a review. Based on your feedback I'll probably wait till its de-bugged (no pun intended) and on sale cheap.

I mean, it's not the most incredible game of Civ I've ever played, but the name of the site is "We Play Civ" and it's a Civ game, dagnabit .

I'm playing BE on a regular basis (couple times a week): the updated graphics and bug fixes which just came out make the game more enjoyable. And now that the weather is turning bad (cold rain this week, and snow forecast for this weekend) I'll probably start getting more into gaming again.

D

I mean, it's not the most incredible game of Civ I've ever played, but the name of the site is "We Play Civ" and it's a Civ game, dagnabit.

In my case it'd be, "We Play Getting Careers and Family's".

:lol:

In my case it'd be, "We Play Getting Careers and Family's".

:lol:

:lol: Ditto!!!

So... stream of consciousness review of sorts:

The game released with only 2 rather aggravating (if not quite game-breaking) bugs:

1. If you declared war, your allies would not join you - but if your AI allies declared war, you would automatically join them. Thankfully, a hotfix has already been released to fix this.

2. The more success you have in a war, the higher your "war score" and the more concessions your AI opponent must surrender to you as conditions for peace.... but... you may not refuse these concessions (including most/all of the AI's cities) AND the AI will refuse to ever end a war if the victory conditions involve giving up his last city! This frequently results in wars that cannot be ended except by wiping the AI out. The devs have acknowledged this issue and claim they're working on a patch - no timetable for when we might get it, though.

Most of the bugs aren't that awful - they primarily come in the form of tooltips being wrong, some glaring balance issues that beta testing would have revealed, etc. Nothing game breaking, but it does make the AI easier to exploit.

As for the AI:

1. It seems to be smarter at laying siege to cities. It will lay out its units in a far more appropriate fashion and doesn't even do a terrible job at selecting which types of units to use.

2. But it's still dumb as a brick responding to anything that challenges the AI's pre-written plan of "this is how you do this". If you disrupt a siege, for example - especially in any form of asymmetrical manner - the AI has absolutely no idea how to respond. Often, it doesn't respond at all, and just continues laying siege as if nothing has changed and it's not losing siege units to a flanking force. This is a similar limitation (path dependence) as seen in the Civ4 and Civ5 AI, though.

3. The considerable improvements to the efficiency of the worker auto-improvement AI greatly enhance the economic prowess of the AI powers, but the AI has a tendency to use that improved production to build hordes of units that then just move around on parade routes while their production could have been spent developing research or economic advantages. This reminds me greatly of the Civ2 AI.

4. The new diplomacy system achieves its stated objective of making the AI's decision making process more transparent (so you don't have as many war declarations out of the blue), but the revealed AI algorithim (dressed up in color text) is almost wholly based upon who is ahead/behind them. The AI are essentially now just bullies: they will pick on anyone behind them in any number of metrics each AI randomly chooses to care about (it's different in each game) and leave alone anyone ahead of them in those metrics. Since the player is often in 1st place and ahead on EVERY metric, this means the AI may all hate each other and constantly be at war, but they all mutually love the player and don't even spy on him for his juicy tech advantage. Conversely, if you ever fall behind, EVERYONE will be declaring war on you in short order. From a simplistic standpoint, this makes sense, but there's relatively little accounting for any form of collective action to stop anyone ahead (or any understanding of the balance of power).

5. The random AI metrics for what they like can also be a little odd. I've had several games where the AI all love warmongers, including Kavitha! I take hits to respect when I'm not attacking someone and they freakin' love it when I'm rolling over people, even when it would be extremely clear to a human that this could pose a threat to them. More amusingly, the AI messages don't seem to vary between the "positive" and "negative", so the actual text will be something admonishing you for your bad behavior while the game shows you that the AI freakin' loves you for it.

6. The AI is at least considerably more aggressive than in vanilla BE. It reminds me a great deal of the Civ5 BNW AI in terms of its mid/late game aggressiveness. Mind you, this is almost wholly directed at other AI on lower difficulty settings (there is more strikes against the player on higher settings I hear), but it's nice to see the AI be considerably less passive.

7. This HAS to be a bug: The AI now completely ignores that you spy on them, even when caught. I will have 7 or 8 spies stealing science from every one of an AI's cities and getting caught red handed every other mission and not only does the AI not complain, but the new diplomatic transparency means I can SEE that it has no impact on our relationship.

Other things to consider:

* Naval combat is much more interesting due to the expanded unit selection - particularly patrol boats and submarines - and combat has a many more asymmetric possibilities now. This is one aspect of the game I'm genuinely loving (though the AI seems ill-equipped to deal with this new complexity).

* Oceans becoming meaningful space aside from mere transit is a great change. The only issue is that the board on larger maps ends up even more empty than before (large map w/8 civs where water as well as land can be colonized? lots of empty space). Mind you, the aliens tend to thoroughly infest these "empty" (read: wild) areas, which is sort of neat.

* Oceanic cities themselves are weak. Not only is their strength lower, but the stronger oceanic aliens will easily eat them - sometimes whether they've been pissed off or not. Playing as an oceanic civ is nerve wracking until your defenses improve. They're also tougher to defend later on because they lack natural chokepoints (mountains, canyons, even hills) to constrain and/or slow down an advancing invader. Mind you, the North Sea Alliance, which starts on the ocean, has a UA which makes their naval cities considerably stronger (more than compensating for this problem), but Chungsu (the other naval faction) lacks this advantage can rather easily be wiped out in the opening turns of a game.

* Sonic fences have gone from overpowered to not-quite-useless. The aliens seem to completely ignore them EXCEPT that they can still render your trade units immune to alien attack (which is still valuable). You can no longer ignore the aliens, which often enough means you (and the AI) become vastly more aggressive at wiping them out.

* Power creep is a significant issue. The expanded number of ruins, goody huts, and affinity quests mean you achieve affinity points much more quickly and progress into stronger units more quickly. This is good for survival in the early game, but means the late game seems to come too early. The improved affinity & sponsor bonuses also move things along more quickly.

* Hybrid affinities are a VERY welcome addition to the game, especially combined with how they changed the way affinity XP was tied to research. You no longer feel locked into picking an affinity early and then only researching toward its specific techs. You're much more free to mix & match different technologies as needs arise (while still working on useful affinity xp's).

Overall, I'm happy with it, but it's still a bit buggy and poorly balanced. It could have really used a far more thorough beta.

Edited by Arnelos

Oh, and the one part of this expansion I am unequivocally say is AWESOME is the soundtrack. As with the original BE, I am loving it. Other aspects of this game may have issues, but the sound track is phenomenal.

This is starting to get affordable now and with Fallout 4's latest update killing my game I'm wondering how playable this is now? Or is it still just a great soundtrack?