godking

Minecraft Realms Server

435 posts in this topic

Spawniagara Falls lit up! (or whatever it was called)

2016-08-13_21.47.29.png

Unfortunately haven't figured out to tie the inverse power in with the daylight sensor to only be lit up at night.

Well I found out that the gold/xp farm I'm building won't be quite the bonanza I hoped for because:

a) it is the earlier version of Snocrash's gold farm (let's call it Donut 1) - it still works in 1.10 (he even has a video for a 1.9/1.10 fix for it), but it is 30-50% slower than his 2016 version (Donut 2) according to the donut 2 video

b) its stats are based on being in hard difficulty level (level 0-30 in just over a minute), and we are at easy difficulty level - I'm not advocating a change of difficulty level - but the output will be less based on less zombie pigmen spawning

I thought about changing the building layout to match Donut 2 and working from there, but I'm not really sure how to get up on the player platform for Donut 2 - that and the area I've built it seems to have a lot of ghasts (another reason this in creative), so not sure I like being exposed like that - though I haven't watched the whole video yet for a possible explanation.

So I will finish constructing Donut 1 - with tempered and lower expectations than I had - may take 3 minutes to go from Level 0-30 instead of 1 - not sure to be honest - still should produce a decent amount of free xp and free gold nuggets.

Smooth Stone Generator done at spawn (still requires a silk touch pick to mine though).

2016-08-14_07.40.22.png

Also figured out how to light up the falls only at night - required rerooting parts of the lower falls though.

Updated and complete in-game 2000 by 2000 square map of the southeastern near spawn area (from around -50 to around +2000 for both x and z coordinates)

2016-08-14_14.21.55.png

The green dots represent the locations of other copies of the same map I suspect - namely spawn, Arnelos's base, my base, GK's base and Dalet's base.

Edited by Sharpe

The blaze spawner north of WPC Dale's place will be out of commission for some time, while I construct a one-hit blaze/XP farm there.

I've been fighting blazes while put the spawner out of commission by surrounding it with dirt so I have gotten 23 blaze rods from that - which should help with the lack of that nearby spawner (haven't seen another spawner in the game so far unfortunately).

The blaze spawner north of WPC Dale's place will be out of commission for some time, while I construct a one-hit blaze/XP farm there.

I've been fighting blazes while put the spawner out of commission by surrounding it with dirt so I have gotten 23 blaze rods from that - which should help with the lack of that nearby spawner (haven't seen another spawner in the game so far unfortunately).

Well ONE of the TWO blaze spawners at that nether fortress will be used for the farm. I didn't realize there was a 2nd one until I kept getting swarmed by blazes so I temporarily disabled that one as well by putting cobble around it. On the bright side I have 35 or so more blaze rods :D .

This looks like a very interesting idea - maybe I'll get up the courage to try to build it sometime:

Movable one direction submarine - could be useful for reaching underwater monuments perhaps.

Cubehamster also has a bunch of other highly complex machines, such as movable flying machines of various types as well.

Oh yeah Dale, if you read this, they do have a one direction movable pirate ship as well.

Also have heard rumors of a 4-direction movable car (that unfortunately can only travel on flat surfaces :( ).

Edited by Sharpe

Did more world terrain mapping (calling it that as at 2048 by 2048 squares, currently any player made structures don't show up very well - including the largest bases so far):

2016-08-17_06.58.47.png

I confirmed that the green dots are locations where a copy of that map is also located.

Figured that out once I placed the map at BigDork's village - and since I put them at each base's teleporter - they are the locations on the map of the various bases (except the original student bases NW of spawn and Crystal's eastern base - haven't mapped out to her area yet).

Edited by Sharpe

Thought I had mentioned this on here in the past, but other than a fleeting reference in post 226 I can't see any other:

We can resummon the end dragon to fight it again!

Doing so would be beneficial as it would open up a portal to the end islands and cities where there are elytras - which are essentially gliders that move 10 squares horizontally for every 1 square drop vertically.

Also there are chorus flowers, that can be grown in any dimension (on end stone) into chorus plants (though chorus trees might be a better description I hear) which are edible as food, but can also be smelted into popped chorus fruit (inedible) - 4 of which can be turned into 4 purple purpur blocks or combined with a blaze rod into a end rod as a source of light.

The purpur blocks can be turned into slabs and stairs as well.

We can make the end crystals required to resummon the dragon, however we would need two more things to be able to fight the dragon:

1) More people

We have 3-4 people who play somewhat regularly right now - but mostly it is Dalet and me recently (Crystal and scongamer come on occasionally and it was nice to see Arnelos again recently).

You wouldn't need to worry much about being armed enough - have plenty of diamonds to give decent armor and weapons. Once the gold / XP farm and the one-hit blaze / XP farm are finished, it should be easier to level people up enough to get decent enchants (if all else fails there is creative mode to get decent enchants).

2) Scheduling a specific day and time - and have enough people show up.

While GK and I fought and killed the dragon (ok ok, it was mostly GK that did the fighting ;) I mostly did the dying ...), the first time - the fight is tougher now that bars have put around some of the end crystals that heal the dragon and the dragon has a couple new attacks.

Plus GK spent the time to farm enough wither skulls to summon a wither (though we somehow ended up with 2 withers if I recall correctly. While I can work on an afk wither skeleton farm, it could be difficult to build - plus I suspect the xp farms would be more useful.

Last time, GK had an infinity enchanted bow, while I ran out of arrows (plus I was a poorer archer back then) - we do have a villager with an infinity book in the ground spawn iron farm plus the ability to make perhaps thousands of arrows via the hostile mob item farm near spawn and the feather farm (plus the silo storage of gravel) if necessary.

I'm only halfway through the construction of the gold/xp farm (see post 249 for the first half and why the second 50% might take a while) and I've had to start nearly from scratch on the 1-hit blaze/XP farm, so it may be at least 1-3 weeks before I can finish those, so there is still a lot of time - though I'd like to give it a shot before the students go back to school after Labor Day if possible.

Edited by Sharpe

I was thinking about what Arnelos said the other day when he was on - that the spawn was a maze. He's right of course so I added more signs. But that really isn't enough to solve the problem.

So I thought of a crazy idea. Here it is: the spawn now has a mini-scale model of itself ;)...

2016-08-17_11.44.12.png

Right now it is in a test area, but if it works and some like it - I can replace the mini-farm directly in front of the cabin with the scale model instead :).

Edited by Sharpe

I created some more elevators - at the spawn from surface down to the slimeball farms on level 11, at GK's place (lighthouse) from basically surface down to his nether portal at level 11, and at Arnelos's cabin from his main area at level 69 down to level 11.

When I was at Arnelos's , there was a major thunderstorm and heard an odd noise and I found these outside:

2016-08-18_06.23.49.png

Good thing I was in creative mode - as I would have died and would have lost all my stuff as I would have had to abandon it - as it turns out there were EIGHT of them in total. Even 3 or 4 of us together would have had difficulty with that type of horde I suspect.

I killed off all of the skeletons, but left one horse in the water - curious to see how long before it despawns.

Edited by Sharpe

I created some more elevators - at the spawn from surface down to the slimeball farms on level 11, at GK's place (lighthouse) from basically surface down to his nether portal at level 11, and at Arnelos's cabin from his main area at level 69 down to level 11.

When I was at Arnelos's , there was a major thunderstorm and heard an odd noise and I found these outside:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14408[/ATTACH]

Good thing I was in creative mode - as I would have died and would have lost all my stuff as I would have had to abandon it - as it turns out there were EIGHT of them in total. Even 3 or 4 of us together would have had difficulty with that type of horde I suspect.

I killed off all of the skeletons, but left one horse in the water - curious to see how long before it despawns.

What the hell are those? And why are they spawning in my camp?

Should I be worried about going there at night?

What the hell are those? And why are they spawning in my camp?

Should I be worried about going there at night?

They are skeleton horses with skeletons riding them.

They are from an event called a "skeleton trap" - during a thunderstorm, lightning strikes have a percentage chance of generating skeleton horses - 3.75-7.5% on easy difficulty which the server is currently on - however in 1.11 the chance is being reduced to 0.75-1.5% instead.

If a player comes within 10 squares of a horse, lightning will strike the horse, generating a skeleton riding the horse aka a skeleton horseman.

Here is the minecraft wiki on skeleton trap horses and the skeleton horseman from the horses page - skip down to the skeleton trap section under Behaviour regarding more information on them:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Horse#Zombie_and_skeleton_horses

Basically they are a tough fight - glad I was in creative as they DON'T despawn.

Lightning has become a real pain in the neck event - glad they are reducing the skeleton horse spawn in 1.11 as lightning is bad enough as it is already: killed animals when struck, set trees on fire , turned pigs into zombie pigmen, turned villagers into witches when struck and on top of that this skeleton trap event.

Now you know why I put my villages for iron farms under cover and glass over the animal pens for my areas ;).

Edited by Sharpe

Updated teleport and rail map (added in the under construction rabbit farm and cow farm teleports):

Server World Nether tunnel map with teleports smaller size update31.10.png

Updated world terrain map with rabbit farm and cow farm shown on map now:

2016-08-18_07.27.31.png

The 1-hit blaze / XP farm is done !

2016-08-19_12.44.41.png

It is at the nether fortress north-east of WPC Dale's portal.

Follow the glowstone path to a set of stairs going down and through the iron door.

There is a polished granite block which is the preferred place to stand to kill the 0.5 heart blazes. Sometimes they will die on their own, that just happens occasionally.

In about 15 or so minutes without a looting enchanted sword (which increases the blaze rod rate), I have gotten 97 blaze rods plus a lot of xp (think I went from level 18 to level 36 :D ).

Design is a recent one for 1.10.2 by Snocrash:

Edited by Sharpe

I did another test of the blaze rod/XP farm. I think the initial test was overinflated as I was nearby the blaze spawner for a little while before I did the test.

This time:

Started out at level 19 and nearly halfway to level 20.

After 4 minutes, I attacked and climbed to level 23 with 28 rods in chest (forgot to count how many rods were in chest to start with :( )

After 8 minutes, I attacked again and climbed to level 25 with 32 rods in chest

After 12 minutes, I attacked again and climbed to level 29 with 46 rods in chest

After 15 minutes, I attacked again and climbed to level 31 with 61 rods in chest.

Then I walked away and the remaining blazes eventually came into the killing chamber - attacked again and got 4 more rods and just over half a level to level 31.75.

Going to do more tests in order to find the ideal afk locations while letting the blazes spawn and accumulate in the killing chamber.

Man, if you accidentally knocked that glass block out...

This is what the farm looks like above the killing zone/waiting area:

2016-08-19_22.42.02.png

Good news everyone! (in a Professor Farnsworth voice ;) )

I was flying around doing more mapping in creative mode when I saw 2 zombie farmers together.

Decided to try an experiment with them. After converting them to villagers, I then set up a teleport to a nearby base - initially using the @a syntax to only teleport all players, but then the @e syntax to teleport all entities. After a little shoving, I managed to teleport them to the nearby base.

Tried to see if being in a minecart would also work, but the sheep I tried it on (and to see if animals can be teleported) didn't work so well. They did teleport with and without the minecart, but I did not see them at the nearby base I supposedly teleported them to. So I guess more testing is needed for that one.

Gold/XP Farm completed !

This design was also by Snocrash

Part 1 video:

Part 2 (redstone tutorial):

and here is the 1.9/1.10 fixes and improvements:

This is the first of his donut gold/XP farms - the 2nd one is supposedly even faster but this one looked easier to build re the redstone setup (plus I wanted to put an elevator - though I haven't done that yet :( ).

The XP is generated MUCH faster (even on easy difficulty) than compared to the blaze/XP farm. In the blaze farm, at low levels you gain about 1 level/minute and above level 25 you seem to gain 1 level every 2 minutes. With the gold/XP farm, I went from level 9 to 34 in about 3 minutes.

Also got 101 gold nuggets (about 11 gold ingots worth), 3 gold ingots, about 2 stacks of rotten meat and 20 golden swords (this last one will be a challenge to store in silo storage I suspect) in those 3 minutes or so.

To aggro the zombie pigmen you throw a snowball at them then stand on top of a trap door on the left side. Coincidentally, I also built an automatic snow generator at spawn... ok ok - it is just a snow golem that you shovel the snow it is standing on ;).

Edited by Sharpe

Started doing some villager trading in order to get some stuff for an ender dragon fight:

Got 2 infinity books and 2 Power IV books.

But that used up most of the emeralds so need more...

For reference, here are the possible trades for villagers as of 1.9 per the wiki (no 1.10 update yet?):

VillagerTradeChart.png

Some of automated farms should provide opportunities for trades such as:

- rotten meat for emeralds to cleric

- carrots or potatoes or pumpkins or maybe melons for emeralds to farmer (we have nearly 70000 carrots now at spawn :scared: )

- paper for emeralds to librarian (we have a fair amount of sugarcane and I can expand the farm 1 or more levels if necessary)

- eventually string for emeralds to fletcher and fisherman (we don't have that much now but eventually)

- eventually chicken and pork for emeralds to butcher once the animal farms are done

- downside is that some of the more expensive trades will require 32-64 emeralds (and you only get 1 emerald per trade to them :( ).

Edited by Sharpe

Searched in vain so far throughout all of the villages connected to the rail system for a brown coat farmer to trade carrots to. One thing I find is that not very many villages are connected to the nether rail system yet :( (maybe 5-6 in total so far). Trying to breed a brown coat farmer at the villager breeder, but that will be iffy at best to get anytime soon.

Discovered two extensive cavern systems nearby the under-construction cow farm location.

One goes from the surface down to level 11ish and has a zombie and a skeleton dungeon and IIRC a chasm that I haven't explored yet.

The other is larger and goes down from the surface to level 11ish and up and down again (had a hard time getting out of that one) and has a zombie dungeon. Still haven't explored all of it yet either (got fed up after the 3rd up and down situation).

After encountering both zombie and skeleton dungeons (and the occasional spider dungeon) - all I can say is: I'm glad there isn't a creeper or witch dungeon ! Especially as I walked into a hallway that had FOUR creepers waiting for me - I hastily retreated and shot them to death with my bow thankfully. Most creepers I encounter explode and I try to get out of the explosion's range as much as possible ;).

Edit: Well now I feel stupid. I forgot that each of the farmer driven farms at the spawn and villager breeder area require a brown coat to harvest the food. Turns out that there are 2 brown coat farmers at 2 of the farms at spawn. Didn't need to go far at all it turns out lol.

Edited by Sharpe

AFK Skeleton and XP farm completed about 1000 squares south of spawn. Getting there is a bit of maze right now, will try to work on it more.

The XP potential of this is lower than the blaze farm and much lower than the gold farm. I've mostly built it to provide bones for a possible afk tree farm nearby it.

The design is a concept from xisumavoid - he didn't do a tutorial so I had to build it by watching the video and observing the world download. I've heard rumors that it shouldn't work in 1.10, but so far it seems to work fine.

2016-08-23_17.41.25.png

Edit: my current xp level is mostly from using the gold farm earlier for about 5 minutes - went from level 1 to level 37 :D .

Just realized that I hadn't posted pictures of the competed gold/xp farm (I got from level 1 to level 36 in about 5 minutes today on it :D ):

2016-08-22_01.31.34.png

2016-08-22_01.31.12.png

2016-08-22_01.31.22.png