Penry

Kerbal Space Program DAR - To infinty and beyond.......

30 posts in this topic

17412741995_783bfaf2a1_c.jpg

To infinity and beyond......

Kerbal Space Program is a multi genre where players create their own space program to get Kerbals off their planet and out into the great black yonder.

In KSP, you must build a space-worthy craft, capable of flying its crew out into space, without killing them. At your disposal is a collection of parts, which must be assembled to create a functional ship. Each part has its own function and will affect the way a ship flies (or doesn't). So strap yourself in, and get ready to try some Rocket Science!

The game has different game modes, you can play the Career Mode if you want to expand and manage your own Space Center, taking on missions and researching new technologies. Or you can play Sandbox mode if you're only interested in flying and discovering the Kerbal universe without restrictions. There is even a mid point between these two, Science mode, where you must unlock scientific breakthroughs, but don't have to worry about the financial aspect of managing a space program. Of course, I chose the full on career mode, because the game isn't hard enough as it is! ;-)

Contents

Baby steps

Escaping Kerbin's grip

An orbit, of sorts

A new dawn

Slave to the system

Edited by Penry

Baby steps

The first mission in my Kerbal Space Program career was a two fold one. I first had to get Jebediah Kerman, my head pilot, to undertake a crew report from the launch pad, then he had to launch my first rocket and lift off from the space centre. I was pretty confident that he would be able to achieve both of these elementary missions, but out of tiny acorns giant oaks grow!

I constructed the smallest rocket I could. In fact I didn't have too many options, because my choice of components numbered but eight in number! Jebediah gathered his crew report, then fired the rocket and blasted off! Before the solid fuel rocket ran out of puff he managed to set two new speed records (150m/s and 300m/s) and he also reached a height of 3500m, setting a new altitude record too. He also managed to conduct some scientific experiments both on the launch pad and while flying, and the recovered space craft provided more technical information for the guys back in the lab.

As a result of our successful first mission the boffins in R&D were able to make progress in basic rocketry, engineering 101 and survivabilty technologies, opening up access to eleven much needed space ship components.

17386683946_005af671f1_c.jpg

Edited by Penry

Escaping Kerbin's grip

Atmosphere 1

My second mission was to escape Kerbin's atmosphere. I went back to the drawing board and constructed a new rocket, one which I hoped would take Jebediah out into the deep unknown of space. I switched from solid fuel to liquid fuel and was also confident enough to add a laboratory to the centre of the rocket. I also included a decoupler just below the lab, so Jed would be able to jetison the rocketry once it had done its job.

The mission was a failure and Jeb was unable to escape Kerbin's atmosphere, but he did manage to break the 7500m altitude record, then went on to break 11500m and even as high as 19000m. While attempting a gravity turn, Jeb managed to take Atmosphere 1 five km from the Kerbal Space Station, a new distance record! Jeb also managed to perform some more scientific experiments on his flight, even collecting samples from the sea when he came back to Kerbin safely. Despite the overall failure of the mission, valuable data was collected, which would help push the program onwards and upwards!

Gravity turn definition:

A gravity turn is a maneuver used to launch a craft into, or descend from, orbit around a celestial body while using minimal fuel. In order to escape the surface, a craft must rise faster than gravity pulls it down. In order to maintain a stable orbit, the craft must have enough sideways momentum at a high enough altitude to avoid colliding with any surface features or getting slowed down by the atmosphere, if any. A gravity turn combines these two steps into one maneuver, saving fuel in the process. As a craft starts ascending vertically, it slowly turns to the side until by the end of the turn it points sideways.

For an analogy, imagine getting to orbit without a gravity turn: it would be a straight up flight, then a 90 degree turn once high enough to orbit. Think of a gravity turn as "cutting the corner", so to speak. It's a shorter path, so it saves more fuel.

17224901808_fbeeb61aeb_c.jpg

Edited by Penry

Atmosphere 2

I decided that by strapping two solid fuel boosters to the side of the rocket, Jeb would be able to escape Kerbin's orbit and complete our second mission. We didn't yet have the technology to jetison the side boosters, then fire the main rocket, so it would be an all or nothing affair, but I was hopeful that the extra grunt provided by three rockets would be more than enough to propel Jeb into the heavens.

The mission failed once again, a combination of an over eager gravity turn and an insuffient power to weight ratio, but Jeb did manage to steer Atmosphere 2 seventeen km from the space centre, breaking two more distance records. A bit more scientific data was collected but the mission felt like a serious anticlimax after the first two missions. No new speed or altitude records were broken as a result of poor piloting and no major breakthroughs were made by the lads back at the lab.

Back to the drawing board......

RT-10 "Hammer" Solid Fuel Booster info:

While considered by some to be little more than "a trash bin full o' boom", The RT-10 is used in many space programs, whenever the need to save cash is greater than the need to keep Kerbals alive. Use with caution, though. Once lit, solid fuel motors cannot be put out until the fuel runs out.

17224896198_abc8c87296_c.jpg

Edited by Penry

Atmosphere 3

Thankfully, even though the previous two missions had been failures, we had completed enough achievements and collected enough scientific data to enable an advance in rocketry technology. This opened up three new rocketry components, ones which I was sure would push Jeb beyond the current power barriers we were hitting. A new liquid fuel rocket was now available, as well as an accompanying larger fuel tank. Best of all, a huge new solid fuel booster was also available!

BACC "Thumper" Solid Fuel Booster info:

Filled with a new, even more volatile fuel, the BACC offers semi-reliable performance at a good price. BACCs are one-shot rocket boosters often used to help get the massive bulk of a large multi-stage rocket off the ground. They burn at a constant thrust until they run out of fuel and then cease to work. BACC Solid Fuel Boosters are prone to overheating, especially when large numbers are clustered together. The best way to prevent this is by using custom staging to stagger the firing and attaching additional parts that are not SRBs, typically parts such as struts, control surfaces or winglets, to act as heat sinks.

I tried strapping two Thumpers to the side of Atmosphere 2 but the resulting rocket was too heavy for my rudimentary launch pad and I didn't have the funds to upgrade the pad yet. Instead I stripped out the laboratory and plonked a single Thumper behind my main liquid fuel rocket and separated them with a decoupler, so Jeb would be able to discard the heavy Thumper once it had done its job of getting things moving!

LV-T30 "Reliant" Liquid Fuel Engine info:

Although criticized by some due to it's not insignificant use of so-called "pieces found lying about", the LV-T series has proven itself as a comparatively reliable engine. The T30 model boasts a failure ratio below the 50% mark. This has been considered a major improvement over previous models by engineers and LV-T enthusiasts.

17412697545_ae4caf9db5_c.jpg

Atmosphere 3 was an 'all or nothing' approach to getting the job done. The only concession to science were the two remaining Goo containers strapped to the top of command module. She would be a bit of a beast to steer, but Jeb was confident that he would be able to wrestle her in approximately the right direction, then cross his fingers and hope that she didn't explode in a gigantic ball of fire!

Amosphere 3 left the launch pad and shot up into the sky, her solid fuel booster thrusting her forward with irrestible force.

17389207496_a5d2d9d97c_c.jpg

As she broke 10,000m Jeb initiated his gravity turn, fighting with the controls to pull her away from her desire to carry on straight upwards. As the atmosphere thinned Jeb's task became easier and Atmosphere 3 slowly started to veer away from a vertical trajectory. Soon after the Thumper ran out of fuel and he cut it loose, firing up the liquid fuel rocket to hopefully propel Atmosphere 3 up and out of Kerbin's atmosphere! With Thumper falling back towards Kerbin, Atmosphere 3 became much easier to steer and Jeb was able to refine his gravity turn, close his eyes and hope for the best. After what seemed like an age, with his heart thumping inside his chest, Atmosphere 3 broke free from Kerbin's hold and entered near space!

17410709432_aa385d475c_c.jpg

Noting that his predicted apoapsis was high enough for a stable orbit around Kerbin, Jeb cut his engine and drifted futher out into space. He took the time to conduct some ground breaking scientific experiments, gathering data from the Goo canisters and completing his crew report in due course.

Apoapsis definition:

The apsides determines the nearest and farthest point of the orbit. The periapsis is the lowest point of the orbit and is helpful to determine if the orbit is high enough to avoid collisions with the surface or interaction with an atmosphere. The apoapsis is on the other side of the orbit and the furthest point away from the orbited celestial body. The periapsis is not shown if it lies under the surface.

17205224037_78b0263cd5_c.jpg

As Jeb approached apoasis he rotated Atmosphere 3 and pointed her in a direction that would set her up for continuous orbit. He fired up Reliant once more and burned at full power, hoping that enough fuel remained to enable a stable orbit to be set up, but moments later Reliant proved unworthy of its name and it spluttered and died. Jeb had completed his primary mission, but would have to be content with that as a first orbit of Kerbin was now out of the question. He cut Reliant loose and prepared to head back to Kerbin.....

17412291271_dbf09e795c_c.jpg

No-one knew what was in store for Jeb on his re-entry to Kerbin atmosphere, and no-one was prepared for the bumpy ride that ensued. Thankfully Jeb had enough presence of mind to orientate the heat shield in the required direction, but there was once again much store placed in keeping his eyes shut, his fingers firmly crossed and his minds eye focused on images of a successful re-entry and landing!

Once the atmosphere was successfully breached, it was just a matter off waiting until the thickening atmosphere slowed the command pod enough so that Atmosphere 3's rescue parachute could be deployed. As it sheered off speed it eventually reached a slow enough speed for full deployment and Jeb drfited down into the middle of the ocean, where he was eventually picked up by the Kerbin coast gaurd and returned to the Kerbal Space Centre!

16792404843_33129bc4ab_c.jpg

Mission success! Jeb had successfully broken three more speed records - 450m/s, 750m/s and 1050m/s! He had also broken two more altitude records - 26.5km and 70km and he had also smashed three more distance records - 28km, 39km and 100km! He had also managed to collect loads of useful scientific information and performance data, which would hopefully result in boosting the public profile of the Kerbal Space Program, bringing more funds into the program from external sources.......

Edited by Penry

I don't know a thing about this game but I'll try to follow along. :)

Edited by Rhoth

:b:

Thanks for the support mate. Do you have any physics knowledge? I've got a feeling I might have soon......

Basic stuff, nothing really advanced.

That's a whole lot more than me! I hated physics at school and paid abolutely zero attention in class. If only my tutor had said 'You'll need all this knowledge later on in life, when you play Kerbal Space Program.' ;)

Still, KSP is another game that is stimulating my thirst for knowledge. I'll move WWII history knowledge to the side for the time being and start brushing up on rocketry, engineering and physics......

An orbit, of sorts

Orbiter 1

Successfully escaping the clutches of Kerbin, if only briefly, resulted in a huge boost to the reputation of the space program. A number of new contracts were offered including wealthy tourists wanting to be taken to space, component manufacturers wanting their prototypes to be tested and private companies wanting surveys to be conducted around Kerbin. It also greatly boosted the accumulated knowledge of the R&D department, enabling advances to be made in stabilising technologies including aerodynamic nose cones, better winglets and radial decouplers, so side mounted rockets could be jettisoned once they had done their jobs.

One limiting factor however was the rudimentary launch pad still in operation, so it was still not possible to sling two Thumpers to the side of the main rocket. Shackled by this limitation, it was decided to increase the amount of fuel to the Reliant rocket and fire off Orbiter 1 in an attempt to make some progress. Jeb struggled to keep control of Orbiter 1 and wasted a lot of fuel while in the atmosphere, resulting in insufficient fuel to achieve a lasting orbit once he broke the barrier to space. He returned to Kerbin somewhat deflated, wondering how he could balance an increasingly uncontrollable rocket with the need to preserve fuel for the vital suborbital phase of the flight.

17247958700_f27c481a08_c.jpg

Edited by Penry

Orbiter 2

Even more fuel was added to the resevoir for the Reliant rocket and another attempt was made to achieve a lasting orbit. The increased weight and length of Orbiter 2 made it even more unwieldy and a repeat of the Orbiter 1 scenario meant that precious fuel was wasted wrestling Orbiter 2 into the right direction for an effiecient gravity turn. Mastering the gravity turn while balancing the fuel/weight/maneuverablity triangle was obviously the key to breaking the conundrum, but was Jeb up to the task? As Jeb floated down to Kerbin major decisions were being made in mission control.....

17435148861_9d6bf1f209_c.jpg

This mission update is brought to you by Jeb's Junkyard and Space Parts

17410692386_d3c7e9dbe5_o.png

Terrier 1

Gene Kerman, mission control lead, got together with Wernher von Kerman, R&D lead, and started to thrash ideas around. The space program lacked a decent launch pad, it lacked advanced technologies to ease the program into orbit and it lacked a pilot skilled enough to control the monsters that they were brewing up between themselves. All three issues would potentially have to be addressed before the next milestone was broken. Wernher had enough resources for one scientific breakthrough but had three key areas he wanted to pursue - better rocketry, better flight control and better scientific experimentation. Which avenue should he go down?

Gene's quandary was somewhat easier to solve. Enough funds had come in over the last few missions to enable the upgrading of the launchpad to one that would be able to handle a larger and heavier spacecraft. Now they would be able to strap a couple of Thumpers to the side of the main rocket and blast the next mission into space.

Gene also accepted a contract from Jeb's Junkyard and Space Parts, to test a prototype of their latest liquid fuel engine, one that was ideally suited to suborbital space flight. This would mean that there wasn't such a pressing need for Wernher to make advances in rocketry, as the prototype Terrier engine might be the missing component that would enable the transition from suborbital flight into a stable orbit arround Kerbin.

LV-909 "Terrier" Liquid Fuel Engine info:

The 909 model was initially received with some skepticism by spacecraft engineers, as it defied the long-standing convention that "More Power!" is always better. The LV-909 is a liquid fuel engine with thrust vector control, allowing efficient control of the rocket when it is most needed: during ascent, descent, and orbit correction burns. It has a slightly better specific impulse in vacuum than LV-T30 and LV-T45 engines and is much smaller and lighter than them, but it has dramatically less thrust. The low thrust makes the LV-909 unsuitable as a main engine on most lower stages, but the low mass allows for more efficient upper stages.

The contract came with a condition though. The sponsor wanted their own test pilot in the driver's seat, as they were less than impressed with the performance of Jebediah over the last couple of missions. Gene gave in to their demands and Valentina Kerman became the second pilot in the Kerbal Space Program.

Vernher reasoned that two new variables were enough for one mission, so decided to bide his time before introducing any more new technologies to the equation. A new space ship was constructed around the prototype Terrier engine, one that consisted of three main stages. Two Thumpers would get Terrier 1 off the launchpad and on its way. When those ran out they would be decoupled and a single Reliant would take over the task of propelling Terrier 1 to the edge of the atmosphere. Once suborbit was reached the prototype Terrier engine would fire and hopefully maneuver her into a stable orbit around Kerbin. Hopefully.....

Things didn't quite go as planned that evening. The radial decouplers didn't fire and the two Thumpers didn't jettison when they had finished their burn. Valentina then failed to control Terrier 1 when the Reliant rocket kicked in and the resulting gravity turn was woefully too shallow, resulting in her never even breaking free from Kermin's atmosphere. Like a damp squib she floated back to Kerbin, while Jebediah looked on with something resembling satisfaction on his face. To make matters worse the test conditions for the Terrier engine were not even met, so no reward from the contract was gained.

17247936220_6ca2bab388_c.jpg

Terrier 2

Slight tweaks were made to the staging of Terrier 1 - both Thumpers and the Radient would fire on launch. When the Thumpers ran out of fuel they would be jettisoned and the Radient would continue to propel Terrier 2 until it too ran out, when Terrier 2 would hopefully be on the edge of space. The Radient would be cut loose and the Terrier engine would then take over and enable a stable orbit round Kerbin to be achieved.

The resulting mission was better than the previous one but Terrier 2 was still far too uncontrollable. All the power in the world was useless without control and Terrier 2 just wouldn't respond while all three engines were firing. A different approach would have to be made and a trip to the drawing baord would surely be needed sooner rather than later! Jeb's Junkyard and Space Parts were getting nervous too. Two missions and still no test conditions met!

More information about our mission sponsor:

It is universally agreed that Jeb's Junkyard and Space Parts is one the best examples of the triumph of unwavering motivation in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds. The unassuming junkyard where it is said some of Kerbalkind's first steps towards the depths of space have been taken, has now become a much larger junkyard, as it had to expand its facilities to accommodate the ever greater demand for spacecraft components. Jeb's Junkyard has become one of Kerbin's most iconic names, becoming far more than just a beloved brand. It now stands proudly as a symbol of the unstoppable Kerbal drive towards attempting the impossible while grossly underestimating the gravity of the situation.

17248152250_6e239d315a_c.jpg

Terrier 3

Jeb's Junkyard and Space Parts called for an emergency meeting with Miision Control lead, Gene Kerman. A third and final mission would be attempted with Valentina Kerman and if she failed then they would revert back to Jebediah in the pilot's seat. The pressure was on for Valentina! Would Kermin's first orbiting kerbalnaut be female or a male?

In a bid to help keep control of Terrier 3, larger and more winglets were added to the base of the main rocket. Hopefully doubling and improving them would make it easier for Valentina to steer Terrier 3 into a better gravity turn and get her into the first stable orbit around Kermin.

17247931310_b59b8dc427_c.jpg

The three main rockets blasted Terrier 3 off the launchpad and up into the sky. Valentina hanked at the controls but Terrier 3 just would not respond. She resigned herself to letting the beast run it's course and seeing if she could rectify the situation once the Thumpers and Reliant had been cast aside. Terrier 3 smashed through the atmosphere and Valentina prepared to risk all by converting a near vertical trajectory into a horizontal firing of the Terrier engine to wrap a flightline around Kerbin.

She ignited her Terrier engine and crossed her fingers, praying that she would be able to accomplish her mission and still have fuel to return her to Kerbin. If she ran out of fuel before this would they send out a rescue mision? Her stock was low with her employer, but surely they would see that she and the program were making progress, however slowly. The suborbital trajectory grew longer and longer and just as it cleared the clutches of Kerbin her fuel ran out.

17409481446_9d56b1dfd6_c.jpg

She was fast approaching the periapsis of Terrier 3's orbit and at 38,777km it was touch and go whether it would be low enough to bring her back into the grip of Kerbin. Terrier 3 was travelling at such a speed that she might just graze off the atmosphere and spin off into deep space. If so she might never make it back to Kerbin, dying a slow lonely death in the solitude of space.

She stabbed at her controls, jettisoning the expended Terrier engine and prepared to re-enter Kerbin's atmosphere but everything was happening too quickly. She stabbed at the controls again and accidently hit the parachute launch mechanism, which deployed and promptly got ripped away from the plummiting command capsule. The flames of the edge of the atmosphere were licking at the command module and she rotated it to try to keep the heat sheild between herself and a fiery death, but she missed her chance and the Terrier 3 skimmed back off into deep space.

She now had a long journey to the far reaches of Terrier 3's orbits apoapsis, some 650,000km from Kerbin! Terrier 3 was currently travelling at over 3000 m/s so the journey would take..... well you can work it out! Once she had calmed down, she made the best use of her time by carrying out a number of scientific experiments and collecting flight data. If she managed to get back to Kerbin her chaotic mission wouldn't be a complete waste of time!

16815224143_f7f312453d_c.jpg

She reached and passed the orbit's apoapsis and started the return journey back to Kerbin. It would be another long journey and here mind would start to drift back to the inevitable consequences of her earlier panic. Even if she managed to get Terrier 3 back into Kerbin's atmosphere would she survice the violent landing that would surely ensue? If she landed on land then she was surely a goner, but what about if she landed in an ocean? She was probably still doomed, but it would be a quicker exit than starving to death in her eliptical orbit!

As she approached Kerbin she was greeted with the appearance of Mun, Kerbin's closest moon and, no doubt, the next milestone once a successful orbit of Kerbin had been achieved. She wondered if the data she had collected would be of use in getting someone else to Mun. She wondered if anything of Terrier 3's wreckage would survive to be salvaged by mission control. She wondered is all her efforts would be in vain.....

16812975094_1a67d5b222_c.jpg

Terrier 3 started to approach it's periapsis and Valentina bent all her concentration towards getting it back into Kerbin's atmosphere. She fought with the limited controls of the control pod, keeping the heat shield alligned correctly and presenting as much of a surface towards the thickening atmosphere. Her descent was an extremely shallow one and it felt like a lifetime passed while she descended through the fiery welcome of Kerbin. Eventually it became evident that this time Terrier 3 would indeed penetrate the barrier to re-entry and Valentina was filled with elation, then the realisation that she might have but minutes to live. Re-entering the atmosphere had sheared off a load of speed but once the adge of space was cleared Terrier 3 started to pick up speed again, as it plummited towards the surface of Kerbin. Valentina struggled to look out of the vision hatch, but all was dark outside. She stabbed and stabbed at the parachute release mechanism, but her efforts were in vain. A millisecond of panic had sealed her fate....

17435116781_8e6d1b6fb0_c.jpg

Jeb's Junkyard and Space Parts would like to extend their deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Valentina Kerman. She was a great kerbalnaut and courageous Kerbal. She will forever go down in the history of the Kerbal Space Program as the first Kerbal to achieve an orbit of Kerbin. May she rest in peace.

16816629733_cb16699a6f_o.jpg

Poor Valentina.

A new dawn

Valentina 1

As a mark of respect for Valentina, all further space program activity was suspended for the remainder of the day. The following morning Jedner Kerman, the most promising kerbonaut trainee, was promoted to the full program and improvements were implemented at mission control and the tracking station to enable flight planning, which would greatly help plan orbits and forthcoming interplanetary travel.

A decision was also made to start over with the spaceship design, stripping it right back to the bare minimum, with no concessions to science or testing contracts. It was decided that the main problem the program faced at the moment was the inability to perform reliable gravity turns, largely due to the lack of control soon after launch. Too much power was the conclusion of Vernher von Kerman, and he suggested limiting the power output of the three hammer solid fuel boosters that would help get Valentina 1 off the ground. By limiting the output to fifty percent, it would give Jeb time to initiate the gravity turn and would also provide and longer, more controlled burn. Or so the theory went.....

17326064020_3243b5786b_c.jpg

Come launch the theory appeared to stand up, at least for this attempt. Jeb was able to steer Valentina 1 over to approximately 10' and then let gravity perform the rest of the turn into outer space. When the three Hammers had done their job they were cut loose and the main Reliant rocket took over the job of getting Valentina 1 out of Kerbin's atmosphere.

16893337973_e0225f4733_c.jpg

Once Valentina 1 reached a potential apoapsis of over 75,000, Jeb cut the engine and let her coast up to a suitable height to perform a burn to circularise her orbit. By the time the burn was completed Valentia 1's fuel tanks were severely depleted and Jeb was stricken with anguish about whether he would face a similar fate to his predecessor. Back at mission control they were similarly concerned - the space program just couldn't afford two tragedies in succession!

17487262846_570b384766_c.jpg

Jeb drifted round Kerbin, completing his orbit while the brainiacs down at mission control punched the numbers to see whether Jeb would have enough fuel to complete his re-entry burn. It would be mighty close, but if all went well then Jeb and Valentina 1 should both return home safely!

16893321973_e0a34a8d7e_c.jpg

Once an orbit of Kerbin had been completed, Jeb lined up his re-entry burn and hit the gas. A periapsis of 21,000m was reached with mere vapour left in the fuel tanks. Jeb would be heading home and writing himself into the pages of Kerbin history! He still didn't jettison the Reliant and fuel tanks though, only getting rid of them when they started to glow orange from the heat of re-entry. Jeb was one very cautious customer!

16893308323_816bc2479f_c.jpg

Once again Jeb was treated to a bumpy ride on his re-entry, but it was nothing compared to his landing! He touched down half way down the side of a long mountain range and proceeded to wobble and roll down the steep slope until a small explosion in the parachute mechanism arrested his nauseating finale. Not the triumphant return that he had been hoping for, but at least he was safe and sound!

Jebediah Kerman was the first Kerbal to successfully orbit Kerbin and return safely. He will forever be remembered as the first great kerbonaut, inspiring generations of young Kerbals to look beyond their home planet and out into the infinite reaches of space.

16893541253_956b5a3a2f_c.jpg

My, what a sexy rocket you've got there Penry! :naughty:

:scared:

Umm, yay Jed!

:lol: :b:

I just want to know...was that actually Femme? Penry you sometimes have a tendency to post as her when you forget to log out first.

Because if it wasn't her then you have issues... ;)

It was her! We no longer share the same computer for internet use and haven't since we discovered ipads a few years ago.

I thought that there might be more gaming later that night, but there were no more bumpy re-entries until the next time I played KSP! ;)

A bunch of the early photos are no longer available? :(

Penry is still Lost in Space... ;)

A bunch of the early photos are no longer available? :(

Penry is still Lost in Space... ;)

Primary data connection re-established. More mission data transmitting soon......... ;)

OK, I spent a couple of hours researching some mods for KPS and have now installed the following:

Gameplay and admin

Kerbal Engineer Redux (I actually installed this back at the time of Orbiter 1, to help me in my quest for orbit) - Reveals important statistics about your ship and its orbit during building and flight.

SCANsat - Allows you to scan the surfaces of planetary bodies to produce various kinds of maps.

Dangit! - Will cause the parts on your ship to fail randomly, and you will need to repair them before you can use them again. Be careful... some failures might be relatively harmless, but others might seriously ruin your day.

Docking Port Alignment Indicator - Designed to help you dock manually, by presenting target alignment and relative position in a clean and intuitive manner.

Telemachus - Telemetry and Flight Control in the Web Browser. Let's get that second monitor and ipad involved! :)

Contract Window + - A new contract monitoring window designed to give more information and be more flexible than the stock window

Cosmetics

Chatterer - A plugin which adds some SSTV, beeps, and nonsensical radio chatter between your crewed command pods and Mission Control. There is also some environmental sounds as : wind in atmosphere, breathing on EVA and background noises inside space-crafts.

Hullcam VDS - Let's you add cameras to any part of your vehicle or construction. Should help vary the screenshots a bit!

Planetshine - Planets and moons reflects their light to your vessel + other ambient light improvements.

Kronal Vessel Viewer - Creates blue-print-like (Orthographic) images from the KSP Editor (VAB/SPH) - Might make this DAR more interesting, rather than showing the rocket on the launchpad every time.

There are more mods that I'm seriosuly looking at, but they add considerable complexity and difficulty to the game. If I ever get proficient at KSP I will add those......