Lancer

Problem with Steam

25 posts in this topic

Finally broken down and have downloaded steam. Won't let me purchase though. Keeps charging me in pesos while my card is in $. Anyone have a like problem or any other? I have their tech support working on it...

Pretty sure your problems just have to do with confusing Steam with out of US IP addresses. I used to run into a few problems when in Turkey but that was mostly as they transitioned from charging me in US dollars to charging me in Euros.

They want to charge me in Philippine pesos but I switched it to dollars with a US credit card. They have an option to buy when traveling that I thought might be a way around but no luck yet. Now its just a question of how long it takes for someone to get to my problem and fix it, I hope.

Does switching the currency make it cheaper for you? Have you tried purchasing a game in peso's on your CC? It shouldn't make a major difference to the end price.

Normally Steam recognises the country you are in when you first install it as your "store country". So for me that is NZ - even though I am in Fiji.

I suppose my card would give a decent rate, I could try that.

Does switching the currency make it cheaper for you?

To the contrary. Your U.S. credit card charges you for a transaction in a foreign currency. :mad:

To the contrary. Your U.S. credit card charges you for a transaction in a foreign currency. :mad:

But Steams 'conversion' from US$ to local currency is notoriously skewed. The Aussies get f'ed over the barrel by all accounts and things aren't much better here in NZ. It still might work in your favour to have the store in local currency, but some homework and online investigation might be needed.

Let's see an example.

Darkest Dungeon is selling for P499.95. The current official exchange rate is P44.25 to $1. This works out to: $11.30.

What's it selling for in the U.S.?

US$19.99 here in NZ

Calling all Aussies.....

Wait until you see how much the Aussies pay!

Wait until you see how much the Aussies pay!

US$19.99 here as well.

But Steams 'conversion' from US$ to local currency is notoriously skewed. The Aussies get f'ed over the barrel by all accounts and things aren't much better here in NZ. It still might work in your favour to have the store in local currency, but some homework and online investigation might be needed.

Well, when Steam in Norway went from USD to euro, prices rose a lot, as the conversion was 1 to 1, and USD was worth ~5 NOK, while euro was worth ~8 NOK. When they last year changed to NOK, most games got cheaper.:b:

Can you give us a price of the game too Nik? Would be really interesting to see how much it costs around the world.

Darkest dungeon costs 140 NOK, which today is 18.38 USD. The NOK has fallen a lot lately, a year or so ago 1 USD cost ca 5-6 NOK. Now it costs 7.6 NOK.

Otoh, 140 NOK is less than what an unskilled worker earns per hour, so it's a good price for the wage level in Norway.

US$19.99 here as well.

$25.53 AUD on conversion (xe.com).

That's about 1 hour on an average wage here.

My Steam shows it at USD19.99 which is FJD40.80 (XE conversion) or about 10 hours average wage.

10 HOURS?:eek: You earn that badly down under?:(

Average Wage - not mine. ;)

Everything is relative I guess - Life is much cheaper here as well. But it is a poor country, third world still I think.

Giving a gift.

I am trying to give a game of Pillars of Eternity to a friend of mine in the U.S. As I understand the procedure on Steam, I purchase the game and place it into my own inventory, but earmark it as a gift. I can then click on it, there is a tab/button, which says something like "give as a gift," and I then select a name from my friends list.

If I'm right, this means I need to add my friends account name to my friends list. (a) How do I create a friends list on Steam; (b) how do I add an account name to it? :wall:

Thanks, Penry. Alas, I am "region locked." :wall: Steam doesn't want me to give gifts to my friends in the U.S.

(Apparently, GOG has a different policy.)

Hmm, weird. I've never had a problem with any Steam purchase, I guess it's just an anomaly.