Lancer

Should I upgrade to Windows 8.1...

33 posts in this topic

NO! :rant: 8.1 is a lame attempt to fix all that was wrong with Windows 8. It hasn't. Windows 8 is the New Coke of operating systems.

The folks at Microsoft have abandoned Window 8, have fled so fast they leaped over Windows 9, and are now coming out with Windows 10. [it's not here in the Philippines yet. I checked last week.]

NO! :rant: 8.1 is a lame attempt to fix all that was wrong with Windows 8. It hasn't. Windows 8 is the New Coke of operating systems.

The folks at Microsoft have abandoned Window 8, have fled so fast they leaped over Windows 9, and are now coming out with Windows 10. [it's not here in the Philippines yet. I checked last week.]

It's only available as a technical preview, aka pre-beta. Release is expected august/september next year. For Windows 10 that is.

On Windows 8.1, it's better optimized and lighter on your resources then Windows 7. It's better in all technical aspects. One thing is very different, the UI. And that new UI requires getting used to.

And since Lancer is asking opinions here, yes you should upgrade. If only because of the possibility that being at Windows 8.1 might give you a free upgrade to Windows 10.

I say yes. It has good and bad, just like every other version of Windows. But I like it, and find it pretty smooth to use.

I wish they still supported XP :(

Thanks for the great replies! The reason I made this thread is the hope that Windows 8.1 would allow me to play Darkest Hour which quit on me a while back. Last night I finally fixed it and played the thing. I deleted the game for the 5th time, then downloaded it again from Amazon. When it asked me what file I wanted to create I just added a 1, ie to Darkest Hour1, which created a new file instead of using the old empty file. The weird fix worked fine.

I think my hard drive is slowly being scrod by the salt of the sea, so there may be a new comp in my future and thanks for the info, I'll wait for it to have windows 10. :b:

No kidding Nugog, the good old days when I could play half my older games with Vista. Looked on the Dell site to see if they still offered it as an option but no. Bummer

I plan on keeping 7 until 10 comes out (though, I might get a new comp, and will just live with what it comes with).

I plan on keeping 7 until 10 comes out (though, I might get a new comp, and will just live with what it comes with).

This

I used Windows 8 for the first time over the weekend on my step-daughter's laptop. I had no damn clue what I was doing. There's definitely a whole new UI to get used to.

I do need a new PC or laptop so I'm sure that before long I'll have Windows 8.1 and start getting to learn it. But for now I'm not in a hurry.

I used Windows 8 for the first time over the weekend on my step-daughter's laptop. I had no damn clue what I was doing.

"The chief cause of problems in the world today is solutions." ... Eric Severeid.

Is there any hope that 10 will look like what we've had in the past? Any news?

It looks, in part, at least a little something like this: windows-10-start-menu-customised-live-tiles.jpg

The flower would be better replaced by a blown up panzer IV in a destroyed city under a grey, smokey sky but other than that it seems tolerable.

How is it for games? All made for an earlier windows don't work of course?

I've always wished that Microsoft would either create a "gaming mode" or releases a whole separate version of Windows that is a cut down version that turns off or doesn't include background processes and programs so I have more resources devoted to my games. Because really, I don't need my PC ready to print at a moments notice while I'm in the middle of a game of Civ.

The UI is horrible, but 8.1 fixed the worst of it. All in all, I'd say go for the upgrade, for the reasons Donald wrote.:b:

10 will be Free for 8.1 users so I say Yes also there's a great movie app called free movie box now ;)

10 will be Free for 8.1 users so I say Yes also there's a great movie app called free movie box now ;)

I have thus far only read rumors about this. Which in my book means there is a possibility, but not certainty.

It's an extremely strong rumor though, not a weak one. In my book that means it's nearly certain it'll be offered like 8.1 was.

Bought a computer on "Black Friday" that comes with 8.1. Guess I better prepare to get used to it.

Congrats on your new puter. :b:

Thanks! :D

Now I just have to wait another 2 weeks or so for it to be built and delivered. :(