BigDork

So...

64 posts in this topic

If so that may add some nice variety to the game over time... maybe.

That's one thing the game severely lacks...... variety.

The civs all feel the same.

The affinities all feel the same.

The victories all feel the same.

Every game feels the same.

Whilst the game setup has lots of variety, it gets killed by the lack of variety in game. And this lack of variety means every game starts feeling robotic, because no matter the choices, the same things to do are needed. This is leading to boredom.

The game comes down to two things:

1. Build a military and go for domination.

2. Research techs, build a wonder and wait ~30 turns.

The game DESPERATELY needs variety.

Well let's look at Civ V. Vanilla was okay, nothing great. The expansions really added a lot to the game and made it something far better. This is vanilla BE. I wouldn't rule out there being something more down the line.

I'd still maintain that CivBE vanilla is WELL better than Civ V was vanilla, but that's an admittedly rather low bar to pass.

For me, I played through the game perhaps 7 or 8 times before moving on to other games for now - but I do fully intend to come back. When I'm feeling the desire for some 4x, I think it might even be my go-to game at least for now (it's new).

I'm on 54 hours so my prediction of 50 hours is blown. :lol:

Admittedly I'm not really "playing" the game more than "achievement whoring".

The game DESPERATELY needs variety.

Isn't that what DLC's are for these days??

;)

The affinities all feel the same.

That, I was not expecting. :faint:

Isn't that what DLC's are for these days??

;)

That's not a bad point really. The DLC/Expansions for Civ V added a lot to the game and made it far better than Vanilla. A couple good expansions could add a lot of variety to the game.

That's not a bad point really. The DLC/Expansions for Civ V added a lot to the game and made it far better than Vanilla. A couple good expansions could add a lot of variety to the game.

And turn a game from $50 into one that is $120

Yep - why ship a good game in the first place when you can shop a mediocre one and then charge more to make it halfway decent?

And save money as you don't need testing or quality control departments!

Man - you can make money out of that these days - people will pay to Alpha test the game for you!

Civ: Beyond Earth has been consistently #3 in sales on Steam over the past 24 hours or more during the holiday sale... so, at least a lot more people will be playing it soon enough.

I just picked it up for $18

Now to try it out instead of doing work on my last 2 days of vacation.

Civ 5 skin. Still holds true.

Played 2 games so far. Some of the changes to game play are good, some are like WTF moments.

Good:

• The science is much better. Far less linear, and far improved. I would need to learn the system better, as so far I have just guessed, not really planned things out. But, it feels more natural this way. Would be cool if they could block off some areas based upon your decisions (get this, loose that, type of thing - but hard to balance obviously).
  • The unit upgrades feel more natural than caveman - swordsman - musket - rifle - Godzilla as from normal civ.
  • The special units depending on how you research are nice & a good replacement for the UU's.
  • I like the way they changed UU's and UB's and traits off of the civ you picked, and moved them to the way you play instead. More variety would be better, as it feels only 1/2 done, but I expect that to be left for future expansions.
  • The quests are a nice addition (similar to civ5 quests), and feel improved upon, although still not 100% fleshed out yet.

Bad:

• Reliance on spying to make late game economy function is a very poor game mechanic. How can I steal "energy", let alone 20 times the amount of energy that that civ has in their own bank?!?
  • Reliance on trade to make early / mid game economy is odd - particularly on standard map size where you don't really have connections yet.
  • The way the trade units move around I don't like. I would like trade units to be far less dictator oriented and more UI controlled based on what is the best trade in risks vs rewards for the civ. It isn't like Obama sends tankers around, after all, he just sets policy. The 'traders' themselves should do the trading, you just get to skim your taxes off the top and say thinks like "I prefer energy over science". Special "relief" trade missions such as when Haiti fell apart after their earthquake, are a different story, and it can easily be covered though events & diplomacy.
  • I have never liked civ cities. From Civ 1 on up. Civ 2 felt the best to me, but still.... never felt right. Villages, Towns & Cities. Population moves around a lot, based off what areas work well and have jobs & supplies the needs with things like food - but overall civ population generally increases (except in times of plague & famine). Around WW1 or 2 time you get suburbs due to mass transit (trolleys & subways) and the automobile. Just like civ 5, this system with massive health issues past 3-4 cities is still a major step in the wrong direction - and it drives me crazy to see 1/2+ of the world left empty - prime land at that.
  • The 1 upt is still an issue, even more so as there are fewer units to move around in this than in civ 5, and the differences in unit strength can be huge even at the same tech level.
  • Not enough types of units to build. In my limited experience, I have only played with 1 aircraft, for example.
  • Diplomacy is still big time borked. What are these "favors", and why will the AI get pissed at me for turning down a trade of 1 favor for 60% of my research, when I ask to trade a favor back to the AI they give it almost zero value. Typical poor AI mechanics of unbalanced demands only even worse than Civ5.
  • For my first play though, there wasn't enough guidance as to how to get the alien message win/wonder to work. I did build it. The civlopedia just said to put energy into it. I couldn't see any way to turn it on and activate it or transfer my 30K wallet into it. I worked hard to turn my deficit energy (was running economy off spy's) into a positive one, but it still never changed. It was probably user error, but based off what I read I did everything I could think of and it still wouldn't work - making me think it was bugged in all honesty.

Those are the highlights. I will probably play 1-2 more games over the next month or so to just learn it a bit more, then put it aside til an expansion or two. Good game if you like Civ5, else just wait til it hits the $10 bin and you can get a good 20-30 hours of hoots and giggles off it and not be upset at the price.

For last point: highlight the wonder and activate it. ;)

Tried that, like it was a unit. It had no options. The other wonder I built (the flower or whatever it was) worked fine though.

It costs 1000 energy to activate it. I'm not sure it even gives you the option until you have sufficient energy in the bank.

I had over 40K energy in the bank. Nothing to use it for and the spies just kept getting me more and more.

I am sure it was a user error. I missed some tech or some other necessary step. I just couldn't figure out what that step was before I won via the flower.

2nd game was a large repetition of the first. Debate was to send my army though the gate to earth, or to just kill off everybody else. I ended up sending them to earth, but could have won either way.

Game 3 I upped the difficulty level. Didn't make the AI smarter, just gave it a giant edge in production. It was disgusting how big of an edge they got. I know that you can only do so much with an AI to dumb it / smarten it, but this just felt like cheating on the AI's part.

Didn't make the AI smarter, just gave it a giant edge in production. It was disgusting how big of an edge they got. I know that you can only do so much with an AI to dumb it / smarten it, but this just felt like cheating on the AI's part.

This has been a major issue for the Civ5 engine as a whole, not just BE's.

Yep. It was a little bit of an issue in Civ 3, got bigger in 4, though not to the point that it mattered except on god level. But 5 it is just crazy.

How is it? I'm kind of on the fence and would love some initial thoughts maybe followed up by some opinions as you guys get a few more hours in.

I like the early game, especially the exploration and some of the early quests, however I find it extremely difficult to want to finish a game. To date I think I've finished maybe 4 games. Why? First off, here are a few of the quotes from SMACX:

Not only does God play dice, but the dice are loaded!

Richard Baxton piloted his Recon Rover into a fungal vortex and held off four waves of mind worms, saving an entire colony. We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character with a multi-tiered media campaign: televids, touchbooks, holos, psi-tours-- the works. People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers.

The Academician's private residences shall remain off-limits to the Genetic Inspectors. We possess no retroviral capability, we are not researching retroviral engineering, and we shall not allow this Council to violate faction privileges in the name of this ridiculous witch hunt!"

What goes up, better doggone well stay up!

A handsome young cyborg named Ace, wooed women at every base, but once ladies glanced at his special enhancement, they vanished with nary a trace.

There is nothing in BE to compare to this. Also, the leader dialog and personalities are very bland and blase' in BE. In SMACX they were truly fleshed out individuals that I either wanted to crush (Yang and his minions, Miriam and her fanatics, etc.), or rally around (such as joining Lal and his crusade for democracy). I.e. SMACX drew me in and made me want to play games out to the end because I could identify with the in-game personalities, as well as wanting to see what the next gem of a quote was, or what the next wonder movie was.

Finally, the combat AI in BE doesn't seem to have progressed any from vanilla Civ5, either.

So, my recommendation is that if you haven't bought BE yet, then prioritize it thusly against the other Sci-Fi 4X Planetary TBS games:

SMACX

Deadlock

BE

SMACX and Deadlock are dirt cheap compared to BE currently, and both are very immersive games that you will definitely get your money's worth out of! :b:

(Note: I haven't bought Pandora yet, so can't talk to this game).

D

Edited by Darsnan

Thanks Darsnan. Love the quotes! :b:

Sounds like a missed opportunity from Firaxis.... :(

Love the quotes! :b:

Yup. And if your a true fan of SMACX you read the quotes with the original voice-actors' voices echoing in your head.....

Sounds like a missed opportunity from Firaxis.... :(

I don't think Firaxis missed an opportunity here. Because they are owned by a gaming studio, Firaxis has no choice but to design and build games to the current business model for computer games, not the business model of the mid 90's.

D