BigDork

So...

64 posts in this topic

How is it? I'm kind of on the fence and would love some initial thoughts maybe followed up by some opinions as you guys get a few more hours in.

It's a lot of fun. Less restrictive than V, lots of new systems and stuff to play with. Affinities are really cool.

There are some balance issues (Trade Routes, Phasal Transporters), and the top difficulty isn't very hard if you take advantage of them. Then again SMAC had very similar balance/difficulty issues.

Can someone give more details on multiplayer options. Pitboss? Does the AI contact you if you have mixed AI/Human MP games? Stable?

I'd love to get BE, but not if the MP is as bad as Civ V.

Arny's post in the other thread is a pretty good early report...

Played a good 150 turns or so last evening and am consequently short on sleep working today.

So far, it's engrossing and there are certainly a number of new features to learn (the tech web being by far the greatest part of the learning curve), but overall it does feel an awful lot like a very extensive mod of Civ V BNW. A -very- extensive mod, well beyond Fall from Heaven, even, but it still FEELS a lot like playing Civ V.

I thinj Total Biscuit also got it right in his review/wtf when he said it's a good game, but feels a little... lacking in spirit compared to SMAC. There are some solid design reasons for that, but it does feel to have a bit less character, though certainly far more than your average 4x (so the comparison solely to SMAC may not be wholly fair).

I really like it so far, but I do feel like it could be substantially improved by a little more color and a DLC/expansion.

All of that said... I foresee myself being pretty hooked on this for at least the next several weeks once I get more time after the U.S. election.

Sorry to be the letdown here, but the surface is rosy, but the core is not so rosy.

There are quite a number of balance issues and I can tell you that pretty much every single Civ5 bug carried over. Even all the obvious visual animation bugs. If you want to run on a tablet you will have trouble. A lot of the icons are tiny and so close to each other that it's sometimes difficult to define a specific "click" when touching the screen. It reminds me a lot of that Simpsons episode when Homer got so fat the telephone operator said, "I'm sorry but your fingers are too fat to use the phone keypad. Please mash the keypad after the tone to call an operator." This is probably a personal thing, but I'm not taken by the tech web. I personally see it as a complication that is not really needed. The tech web now has interconnected "nodes" which have a couple "leaves" connected to each node. It seems like a hat tip to a proper theory - practical science progression, but for me the actual web introduces complexity not really needed. Trade routes are horribly over powered and as horribly micro-managy as caravans from Civ2. I feel that this concept should have been abstracted more. Also, quite sadly, the non existence of a story line ala SMAC, is felt quite deeply. The game is as "sterile" as Civ5. Once again, I feel that Civ4 is more of a "story" creator than this. Though since CivBE runs on Civ5 that was expected.

But in saying that I will say a lot of work has been done to make this feel like a new game. The graphics revamp is nothing short of spectacular for a TBS game. The game runs well on my i5 4GB Surface Pro 3 (not a top line GPU either) and no slowdowns detected on a "standard" map size with 8 Civs and lots of minors/aliens after 150 turns. The particle effects are totally awesome and I'm coming to love the "blur". The planet really pulls you in and the discovery of new things on the map are like little parcels of neurologically induced happiness. I'm impressed with how you are able to completely customise your Civ. Not only the starting options, but also during the game. Nearly all decisions you make during the game affect your Civ and how you shape it, including buildings, techs, virtues, and techs. It really does feel like your "creating" a Civilisation.

So my conclusion is thus:

I'm finding it an enjoyable game, but it is not as far removed from Civ5 as some may have been led to believe (including me). The game shines with it's own design and playability but is brought down by its Civ5 roots.

Pros:

- A great space coloniser game.

- Top notch graphics.

- Feels like you really influence the shape of your Civ.

Cons:

- All Civ5 bugs carried over.

- No story ala SMAC.

- 1UPT.

- Tech web adds complexity where wasn't really needed.

Well I like it played 4 hours none stop SP today with no CTD or Lag so that's a Plus it is kinda just like a giant civ v Space mod I guess.

only different enough for me anyway to not find it boring like I did with CiV after a few hours MP tomorrow so there's the big test :)

I played over a thousand hours of Civ4. Almost 300 hours of Civ5 all told.

CivBE I doubt I'll make it to 50 hours.

Says it all really.

MP sucks played with one other and it kept resyning

I agree with the summarized take-aways from the bottom of Dale's review here, but my impression is that I'll actually end up playing A TON of this game (in the hundreds of hours). It's actually a good game and, most importantly, better than Civ 5. It's more of an adaptation from Civ 5 than a developmental leap, but it's still a better game.

I most agree where it comes to the tech web. Frankly, I'm still finding it blindingly confusing. The enormously open possibilities are nice, but it also contributes to having absolutely no idea what path to take (or what paths may be optimal). I wonder if that confusion will wane with repeated playthroughs, after which the tech web I hope becomes an element of strategic depth. That said, I also fear that Dale may be right about how the tech web introduces enormous imbalance issues at the same time.

As for the character/color side of the game, I still think it's sadly lacking in comparison to SMAC, but I'd stick by the point that SMAC is sort of in a league by itself there. CivBE still surpasses the various other recent 4x titles in this regard (Age of Wonders III, Fallen Enchantress, other "story" 4x games of late). I also wrote my earlier 'review' before playing the endgame (only 150 turns in). Having just finished my first game (350 turns total) about an hour ago, I can say that the climaxing musical score, fighting toward your victory conditions, and the voice-overs in the endgame certainly make it less boring than most Civ 5 or Civ 4 endgames.

Overall, it's a rather solid game in single player and I've enjoyed it a lot - especially the endgame. I see a ton of potential for interesting strategies in multiplayer, but multiplayer could also be severely hobbled by imbalance issues (hard to tell since I've not tried it). There's definitely a large learning curve due to the tech web and I'm not sure how much it's going to feel like an entirely different game once I've mastered it.

I think a lot of the online reviews got this game right by putting it in the 7.5-8.5 out of 10 range. I'd perhaps err higher on that scale, but that feels about right.

For Civ fans like us, I'd certainly recommend getting it - just don't go in expecting it to be the best game you've ever played in your life. It's quite good, but not revolutionary.

I'll never be able to put as many hours into a game as I was for I-III and SMAC, but this is one if I was an irresponsible youngster I could match those numbers.

I like that the tech web is more open ended (or at least "wider" with more optional dead ends). If a new game isn't confusing, it's not really worth playing IMO. Should take time to get a feel for what to do in the game.

I like that REX is possible, and that there's not a clear best way to do it. I've so far gone with a Health abyss (-300 :lol: ), a +/- 10, and then a couple > +50 approaches, and all are viable and which is the right move is situational.

The unit upgrades are awesome. The perks could use some work in some cases.

Only thing the game really needs to be epic is to get rid of the Alien immunity stuff (Ultrasonic Fence, Ultrasonic Fence Quest, Purity 1 Explorers ... and generally make Aliens more pissed off faster), Trade Route nerf (first item helps, but not as much with internal), and some AI fixes/harder difficulty levels. Those are all pretty easy things except the last item ... which isn't that tough either to at least give the AI enough bonuses to present a challenge.

The internal trade routes do feel more than a little overpowered, true... (which, as it happens, was one of the weaknesses of SMAC, too - crawlers were MASSIVELY overpowered).

MP sucks played with one other and it kept resyning

I've played long games in MP, without any resynchs. Sounds like you should check your connection.:)

Eh, as I said in another thread, if anybody gets tired of it, feel free to gift it to me. I probably won't look to pick it up until it gets close to the $10-15 range, which will be a while. I am sure I will enjoy it, but I have other things I will enjoy as well and don't feel the needs to spend a lot on it.

Finding the game really easy on Apollo. Turn 190 and about to finish hyper computing to build the supremacy victory project.

I feel that the biggest problem is not a lack of strategic decision making but that there is so much of it that each decision has lost relevancy.

Eh, as I said in another thread, if anybody gets tired of it, feel free to gift it to me. I probably won't look to pick it up until it gets close to the $10-15 range, which will be a while. I am sure I will enjoy it, but I have other things I will enjoy as well and don't feel the needs to spend a lot on it.

Ditto other than I dont care if I get a gift or not. ;)

Ill wait till its heavily discounted, then I might dive in.

I bought CIVV on release, played it for a month, and then never fired it up again. And never had the urge too, so I am in no hurry to get this one.

I'll wait till its heavily discounted, then I might dive in.

I bought CIVV on release, played it for a month, and then never fired it up again. And never had the urge too, so I am in no hurry to get this one.

Same here for me with Civ V and my same feelings for Civ BE.

I've played long games in MP, without any resynchs. Sounds like you should check your connection.:)
Possibly the Host was a bit laggy I heard many hosts are booting players above 100ms pings Nothing wrong with my connection I have 100mb Fibre

There seems to be certain parallels in the genre to the end of board wargaming in the 70s. Lots of historical games that really piqued my interest. I think that's what I like about IV so much. Its a series of different Earths but aside from that its recognizable as Earth. Back then a lot of people went into Dungeons and Dragons and I had no interest in that fantasy stuff. All my fantasies revolved around a chick named Nikki. Regarding D&D this one throwing non existent spells at that one, all night long, is fun? To each their own I guess. Same with this game. Okay we're out in space and this alien looking plant does that and this drama means this. Okay fine, have fun with this and that. Just has no interest for me. Likely it will sell a million copies and make someone rich. Then like D&D they'll never get back to the only world we know is real.

Edited by Lancer

Steam says I've played this game for 74 hours already - 55 hours in the past 2 weeks, which works out to about 4 hours a day(!).

In truth, I just left the game running for hours at a time while working on my laptop from home in the evenings and on weekends. I'd get a bunch of work done, play a turn or two, then go back to getting a bunch of work done.

Even so, I have played through the game about 7 or 8 times now and am still enjoying it. There is a lot of replayability here.

Went to see interstellar last night.

In the previews, there was an add for BE. I had to chuckle.

I'm on 41 hours, played through all the way about 5 times I think?

Whilst I'm finding the game "fun" at this point, I don't see it lasting the long term. Each game to me feels almost the same play through, no matter what victory I chase.

I suppose it helps that I'm switching up map types/sizes/etc. as well as factions, affinities, and virtues for each playthrough. In all honesty, though, it's probably the maps that create the most feeling of difference so far.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I'm definitely interested but will probably wait for a sale. I don't have a ton of free time now anyway to dive into a Civ game.

Do they have Steam Works like they did for Civ V? If so that may add some nice variety to the game over time... maybe.