Nikolai

A story of a new Africa

19 posts in this topic

Disclaimer: This story is entirely made up by me and does not in any way constitute a show into how the lore of Civ:BE is. I have by intent made my own story, and won’t write anything from behind the scenes, to avoid breaking my NDA. So don’t read anything into it, okay? ;)

Mission year 0:

Captain’s log, day 1204:

This is it. Cryogen sleep is over, Earth is left behind, S-459-TR’s third planet is almost reached. As the leader of the people of Afrika, it is my duty to make sure the mistakes is not redone. The Great Mistake…it ruined us. Years went by, slowly rebuilding. But it was clear the future of humanity was elsewhere. Far from Earth. This new planet, it will be our new home. It has no name. Not name usable, that is. Letters and numbers and dashes and whatnot. I’ve contemplated a while. We will need a new name. For now, we’ll call it…Home.

Captain’s log, day 1296:

Home is now visible in the distance. Intitial readings are good. It seems the atmosphere will be breathable, at least for short whiles. We need to be sure. Our first city will be built around the ship, as planned. There are no signs of intelligent life, but there seems to be primitive life down there. Hopefully it won’t turn out to be hostile.

Captain’s log, day 1376:

The city, if you can call it that, is established. It seems we were the first expedition to make planetfall. No signs of anyone else has been recorded, at any rate. The local fauna has turned out to be hostile. Vegetation close to the city has turned out to be lethal in the long run, we have decided to call it “miasma”. Green mist surrounds it. Some kind of big beetles roam the earth. Last Friday, some of them attacked Lt. Mu’ama and her platoon. They barely got away. For now, we keep away from them. They are strong beasts, but seem to keep away if we leave them alone. This attack seem to have been caused by a overly curious marine. He has been scolded.

Captain’s log, day 1402:

Mysterious ruins have been found to the east of the colony. I’ve sent a team of explorers to excavate them.

Funny man. ;) No spoilers.

Isn't it school vacation in Norway???! :eek:

I have a 100% job. Part time studies in 30% on top when it's not summer.

I thought you had a job as an (assistant?) teacher.

Here, during school vacations teachers don't work most of the time, and their salary continues to be paid.

That job gave too few hours, so I had to get a new one.

'Home' is a really unoriginal name. You should call it 'Planet' ;)

Or "Plateau", "Jinx", "Wunderland", or "We Made It". ;)

Or "Plateau", "Jinx", "Wunderland", or "We Made It". ;)

What about Down? That way you could have your "First Contact" ending. :cute: :scared:

D

Oh, but intelligent aliens were met at Jinx before that. :cute:

Audio log for private B'tona

This might be my last words in this world.

As New Afrika's first scouting party, there have been much to see. Much to experience. This is a beautiful world. Alien, yet alluring. I feel at home here. There is so much that remind me of Earth, even in the miasma! I dream of seeing this wilderness tamed.

Yet, for me it might be to late. The miasma.....it's toxic. I took the medication, but it seems it didn't work on me. It's been decided to send me home to the capital, but I fear I am too weak.

But what a journey! We found an abandoned colony last week. A month before, a huge alien skeleton, reminding me of the dinosaur skeletons back on Earth! The various alien animals that roam these parts have let us in peace, but as we've delved deeper into this forest, they seem to have become more hostile. I wonder why... It's like they try to protect something... I might never know, the miasma sickness is claiming my....

What was that...?

Guys, did you h......*screams*

*silence*

Bump. Are you going to finish this Nikolai? We're almost Out August (that phrase still cracks me up! :lol: ).

D

I know I should. :) I just got a lot of work in my plate for a while. Now I've lost my job, though. But I've lost my inspiration in the mean time. :dunno: I had a plan, but the notes are gone. I'll see what I can do. :)

Audio broadcast, mission year 102:

Dear fellow Africans.

This will be my last broadcast to you. I led you here. I planned a future for our people. And I failed. Old Earth was ravished by strife. Wars and famine. I wanted to leave that behind. Begin a new life on this planet.

As such, I limited any military buildup and focused on the welfare of our people. Food. Wealth. Culture. I made it my policy to have only the force needed to defend against the alien lifeforms and clear new land for our cities. And then the siege worms came. I did the horrible mistake of under estimating the aliens. For that I am truly sorry.

As we speak, the siege worms are ravaging the city. New Mumbasa has fallen. Her citizens are fleeing. Dying. But know this, my brothers: I will defend this city to my death! I failed you once, now I will sacrifice myself so that as many citizens as possible can get away! With me, I have a corps of the best soldiers in our colonies. They know what staying means. They accept it. Please, take their offer and make a better future for Africa. Learn from my mistakes. Vice president Orurku will take command over our forces from this moment on. She has my trust. I hope she will have yours.

Behind me, I can hear the aliens approach. Time is up. The fight has come here. If there is a life after death, I will meet you again there. I am not afraid. Neither should you be. Build up your defences. Live…..<static>……they’re coming to…….<static>………

I guess that will have to be the end of my story. Time ran out. Hope you enjoyed my feeble attempt at writing.:lol:

I guess that will have to be the end of my story. Time ran out. Hope you enjoyed my feeble attempt at writing.:lol:

Time hasn't run out - you still have a day.

I do think you are biting off quite a bit, though. A "Lets Play", especially under the circumstances you are operating under (i.e. the NDA, as well as trying to convey the content to an un-educated audience) is I think a bit overwhelming. Perhaps something a little lighter would work in the timeframe? I just posted my concept of what the origins of the Supremacy Affinity might be. You could whip something together quite quickly to counter that, or give a backstory for one of the other Affinities to compliment my backstory.

D