Dale

Dale's thread to complain about stuff

248 posts in this topic

I never had a job I liked until I retired. Now getting the business up and running is fulfilling because it involves pizza, and I do love pizza. :D Also long term its for the family. The oven we're building could still be burning in a couple thousand years, like the old Roman ovens. I imagine many generations of family kids turning to it for a good life of fulfilling work. Because it doesn't suck its almost hard to call it a j o b. I guess its not a job in the traditional sense. I had to do more crap jobs in my life than I care to think about but looking back it was all worth it because of where I am in my life right now. Got a great wife, kids, and friends and interesting challenges in a good place to be, thank God, and thanks to punching a lot of different miserable clocks. Zkrib has an interesting quote about an old man having what he sent down the road as a young man but, can't remember how it goes.

People do see stuff BigDork, be careful. :)

Edited by Lancer

Zkrib has an interesting quote about an old man having what he sent down the road as a young man but, can't remember how it goes.

"The only money you'll have as an old man is the money you send down the road as a young man."

Holy @#$^!!. My entire contacts list for email has been obliterated. :faint:

I just passed up Brave New World at 75% off because I know I'll never play it now. It's been too many years since Civ5 and I've moved on.

This is the first Civ product I haven't either pre-ordered or bought in the first week since Civ2.

But... you 'played' it for free!!! ;)

So the bank is apparently screwing around and, despite approving our home loan, has yet to finish processing the paperwork for the close (which had originally been scheduled for today). If settlement on the purchase & loan doesn't happen tomorrow, this could delay close past the weekend and cause us to reschedule the movers, the utilities, and cost us more cash and lost work time. And my wife hit full term on our baby this week, so it's a rather eventful/crazy time!

Is it possible that you can walk into the bank and explain your situation in a very calm and gentlemanly manner? To wit, how the loan has already been approved; how if the bank's paperwork isn't finished immediately, everything will have to be rescheduled; how your wife could go into labor at any minute; and "if you don't mind, I'll just sit quietly over here until the papers are done. I have no place more important to be...unless I have to rush my wife to the hospital. Thank you very much for understanding."

I say, guilt-trip them back to the stone age.

They're ****ing with you because they can. Plain and simple.

Well, we'd already paid for the movers, so today we moved from our apartment into my parents' basement (and moved most of our stuff into my inlaws' garage). Latest we're hearing is that we might get the keys to our new home on Monday, but it could also be Tuesday. I've rescheduled most of the utilities, but I might be without internet access for a few days as of Monday.

Holy @#$^!!. My entire contacts list for email has been obliterated. :faint:

Two days later, it's back. :dunno:

Between May 30-June 15, I placed three orders via Amazon totaling 32 items. All deliveries are to the US:

Delivered: 20

Overdue: 4 [one was due June 7!]

Due today: 3

Not yet due: 5 [last due date July 8 -- 3+ weeks!]

Papa Mente will be gathering them up for me, putting them all into a single box, maybe topping it off with some new used clothing and shipping it here.

Delivered: 20 >> now, 23 delivered

Overdue: 4 >> now, 6 overdue

Due today 3. >> 0 due today

Not yet due: 5 >> now, 3 not yet due

The overdue orders appear to be in Lancer's home town -- just not delivered. One has been "out for delivery" for 2 1/2 weeks.

Edited by Lancer

It's school holidays and the boys keep using my computer to watch Minecraft YouTubes. No problem there.

But I like to have my chair as low as it will go so I can slouch right down into it. The boys keep putting it up as high as it will go. So when I come home and jump on my computer I have to lower it each and every time!

Grrrrrrr............. :)

Leave it at full height and cut a hole in the floor under it. :b:

Funny you mention that Dale.

my Daughter brought a letter home from school yesterday warning us Not to allow our children to watch minecraft videos on youtube like wtf is that all about I know some of them have a few "Dudes" swearing but still I'm so glad she's leaving this school and starting High school next coz the head at this one is freaking nuts lol.

We're finally getting the keys to our new house. Next up is that we have the movers scheduled for this coming Sunday.

Here's hoping that the tropical storm forecast for the mid-atlantic doesn't screw up the move...

Good news, though: internet was installed yesterday, so at least I won't go without that.

Good news, though: internet was installed yesterday, so at least I won't go without that.

Wish Id done that last time we moved we had only just exchanged contract so I arranged for Sat dish TV, Phone, Internet and New Carpets fitted the day we moved in and the wife was 6 months pregnant at the time needless to say she wasn't very happy :D

Funny you mention that Dale.

my Daughter brought a letter home from school yesterday warning us Not to allow our children to watch minecraft videos on youtube like wtf is that all about I know some of them have a few "Dudes" swearing but still I'm so glad she's leaving this school and starting High school next coz the head at this one is freaking nuts lol.

The school wants kids to be roving the streets in gangs instead of at home watching imagination stimulating vids off the internet. :lol:

It is the way of the future! :mob::scared:

Here is the thing with MC videos. Great to get ideas and learn how to put stuff into practice. However, they also need to spend some time on minecraft actually applying it!

An internet without Arnelos on it ain't worth nothing. :sadnod:

You think you got internet problems...

Ever since we got power back on in December following Supertyphoon Haiyan, I've lost my internet connection every evening about sundown. From ~5 pm to ~ 10 pm, no internet. :( I figured it was either the power company or the ISP repairing lines or facilities.

Then the problem began around sunrise too. I had the opportunity to talk to a Globe (ISP) repair guy, and he stated the problem is system wide.

The problem spread intermittently to the nighttime hours. Sometimes I had connection; sometimes not. :( Then, starting a few days ago, there was no internet at nighttime. So from about 5 or 6 p.m. to 6 or 7 a.m., no internet.

I do a lot of writing during the middle of the night. I need access to a thesaurus, to Wikipedia, etc. Now, I don't have it.

So yesterday, I went into Jagna and renewed my Smart service. Smart is the competing ISP for Globe. Globe uses broadband cable and is cheaper. Smart has broadcasting towers, has dial-up speed, and is more expensive. Connection to Smart is by way of an USB port adapter.

My new Smart adapter worked fine yesterday afternoon. But once the sunset, it too shut down. :huh:

So I have two separate ISP companies, who each have an entirely different system for delivering service, but who both stop service at sunset. WTF??

The 'office' closes at night? No nightstaff to keep an eye on their networks?

or, are Philippine network nodes perhaps solar-powered or what?

I have to wait till the end of August before my Surface Pro 3 which I just ordered will arrive. I want it NOW! :mad: