Dale

Dale's thread to complain about stuff

248 posts in this topic

Good Luck GK

Sorry to hear it godking, hope you find a better job soon.

Sorry to hear that, GK. You still up in Michigan, if I remember right?

About to walk into a job interview for IT Manager. Why is the process of getting a job so damn convoluted!

About to walk into a job interview for IT Manager. Why is the process of getting a job so damn convoluted!

What I loved when I was job hunting a few years ago (after 13 years at an architectural firm that went under during the financial meltdown) was that because I didn't have a job at the time it was tougher to find a new one. I had one company say straight out that they were not hiring me because I was unemployed. WTF? :huh:

It's all good though. I eventually was hired by a construction firm to do their estimating. Slightly similar to what I used to do, but different enough to be interesting and challenging. My wife went through the same thing (she worked in the same architectural firm I did) and ended up taking a job in a completely different field entirely (she works at HP now).

I've heard before that it's easier to get a job when you already have one. For one they know you are more desperate when you are already unemployed so they can offer you less. Also... maybe there's a reason you're unemployed. I've got 6 1/2 years before I have to get a real job. I'm not looking forward to it.

Now for my complaint... DAMN RANGERS LOST GAME 1 IN OVERTIME!!! :rant:

Sorry to hear about the job loss GK ... :(

Yep, in Michigan still.

Teaching is one of those areas where there appears to be a lot of job movement in the sector I am in. We have three types of schools: Public, Charter, and Private.

Public is what most people went to, and what most think of when you talk school. It is a government run institution, with union employees.

Charter is where I currently work. They tend to pop up and succeed or fail within a few years. The oldest one is 14 years old in Michigan, and most are less than 2-3 years. They tend to open, and if managed well stay open past 4-5 years. If not managed well, they tend to close down in that time frame. Last year, we had a 48% staff turnover - which I thought was huge, but after I talked to some more experienced teachers I found out was high, but not uncommonly so.

Private are what you think, usually church run.

So, based on how charters are new and how they still work - I don't think I will have too much trouble finding something, but you never know.

So, based on how charters are new and how they still work - I don't think I will have too much trouble finding something, but you never know.

Well, that's good to hear. Sounds sort of like creative destruction at work, though that makes things no more comfortable for all of the people affected by the upheaval until things start to sort themselves out.

My neck is so sore. Been sore for two weeks, but it's really killing me tonight.

Going to take some anti-inflammatories.

Fun with the Internet

Ever since the return of power following out typhoon/prolonged-blackout, my Globe WiFi has been cutting out at sunset and sunrise, plus has been slowing down during darkness. :(

I didn't report it because I assumed it was some Globe-wide problem and would be fixed eventually. Finally I gave up, went onto the internet to T-Mart, and bought a mo' betta WiFi.

When it arrived, it didn't work at all. :wall: I called in our ace fix-it electrician and his computer-savvy sidekick. My new WiFi theoretically has four modes, including router and repeater. No one can figure out how to get it out of repeater mode. We figured installing it near my bedroom would reinforce the signal from the Globe WiFi. But this plan didn't work. Further investigation showed the repeater had "the wrong settings." The guys tried to copy the settings from the Globe WiFi to my repeater, but instead copied the settings from the repeater to the Globe WiFi, knocking them both out of action, leaving me with no internet at all. :crying: There are no default settings for the Globe WiFi on the internet. The guys promised to return the following morning. Before they left, sidekick comment that too bad my WiFi isn't by Cicso, because they come with a disk, and so there's never a problem finding settings.

The repair guys didn't show in the morning (Saturday). Finally, I gave up on them, jumped on a bus to Tagbilaran, and bought a Cisco WiFi, which is so super-duper fancy it does everything but bake cookies. :) I brought it home, set it up...and it didn't work. :wall: Around 4:30, the repair guys showed up. They couldn't get it working either. It was JJ's birthday, and so I finally had to kick them out. They promised to return Sunday with their friend who works for Globe.

They didn't return Sunday and began ignoring my texts. :mad:

Monday, I called Globe HQ for a repair guy. Globe said someone would come Tuesday morning.

Monday evening, JJ's grandmother was going back to Mindanao. Everyone wanted to leave here at noon so they could be sure to secure a ticket for her departure which was at 8 p.m. JJ and Irish took the afternoon off from school. I tagged along and took my Cisco WiFi back to the store where I'd purchased it. They were very helpful and in about a half hour, my Cicso WiFi was up and running. :) Rather than wait the remaining hours until JJ's grandmother's ship left, I took a bus home, crawled into bed and went to sleep. :zzz:

I didn't set up my Cisco WiFi because I was waiting for the promised Globe repair guy. Tuesday morning passed with no repair guy. :( I was just digging out the job number and getting ready to send a hostile text to Globe HQ :mad: when the repair guy showed up. He worked for awhile and finally got the Globe Wifi running. As he was leaving, I asked about the cutting out of the signal at sunset and sunrise. He said it was a Globe-wide problem. :dunno:

After he left, I popped onto the internet to respond to emails and to post here. :)

As I was doing so, I got a text from Dolores asking if my internet was working because their internet isn't.

Working okay now. :dunno: Also, while it slows down late I think its because kids get out of school around 5PM, have dinner then get on the internet. Globe wide problem, kids. ;) I can still send emails and such pretty much anytime.

On the flip side, what a great day! Cool, cloudy with a strong breeze, gotta love it! :D

Dale, try laying down on your back with a hot water bottle under your neck, might loosen things up. Also, it was probably the weeding in the garden that did it mate, might want to avoid that. ;)

Edited by Lancer

I didn't set up my Cisco WiFi because I was waiting for the promised Globe repair guy.

Just before bedtime, I replaced my Globe WiFi with my new Cisco WiFi. Even though my Cisco WiFi had connected to the internet in Tagbilaran, it'd didn't here. :wall: So, I'm back with my old, weak, slow Globe WiFi. :(

Two small girls of Azerbajdani descent was kidnapped today by masked men.:( The girls, 6 and 8 years old, was in foster care and was snatched by two of the masked men while the third held the foster parents back. Their biological father is the main suspect and on the run. Horrible, poor girls.:(

Not really a complaint, but today I start a 4-week job. Not the one above, but just something I picked up to get some money coming in.

Here's the complaint: haven't heard anything back about the job interview above. :mad:

Another day of double hours and counting because coworkers derp their way through life. (I'm not an hourly employee).

All the science teaching jobs I am finding are for Biology. I am only certified for Physics and Earth Science.

Now that I'm working again, I can't find any time except at 6 in the morning to hang out here!

pre-vacation stress is setting in. Booked a pretty cheap flight the other day, and now I need to fill in the time between flights. Plenty of things I can do/visit, but the there's the minor detail of finding a bed for all the nights.

THIS is better than both of those.

This is becoming a tents competition! That is very cool Dale, though Geo might have a tough time finding t h r e e telephone poles placed in a triangle. Nugog!!?! You can't hang that from a tree! ;)

Meh, its a little tough for Geo to fit in two 70 lb luggage and a 15 lb carry on. :dunno: Nice though, think I'll build one here on the ocean. :nod: