Dale

Dale's thread to complain about stuff

248 posts in this topic

I did go back to live with my parents after college, but I live in one of the most expensive real estate markets on the planet and came out of college with no job (post-9/11 recession before the 2003ish boom). I lived with them for only about 9 months the first time before moving halfway across the country in order to get out (with a job & my own place with a roommate from college).

When I moved back to DC, I moved back in with the folks... that time for a few years (in no small measure due to the financial crash of 2007-2008), but I really really hated the experience and got out as soon as the means to do presented itself. My mom wasn't happy that my girlfriend & I got an apartment together, but we had enough income between the two of us to afford one and it liberated both of us.

Lived in that apartment for over 5 years as our careers both finally took off, which eventually allowed us to buy our own house in our early 30's (just a few months ago).

From everything I've seen of this issue - and we're no exception - the "boomerang" is partially cultural (to be sure), but it's also largely caused by economic pressure. Before 2007, housing got so absurdly expensive in this country with the growing bubble that it wasn't really feasible to afford your own place - sometimes even with a roommate - on any form of entry level salary. You could move out, but many times only after getting a promotion/raise. After 2007-2008, the economy crashed, youth unemployment soared, and a combination of unemployment, underemployment, low wage growth, and personal debt (especially for the ones who'd made the mistake of BUYING before 2007 and were now financially bankrupt) sent a LOT of people back to live with their parents.

I must know dozens of people on facebook from high school and college who all lived with their parents during much of the past decade - many of them with their spouses & kids, too. They simply didn't have the money to afford their own place without significant hardship and their parents were generous enough to let them in. Very few my own age still do so, but that's probably just a product of career success now that we're all into our 30's. Youth unemployment & low laborforce participation has only become worse for those now in their's 20's, even as the larger economy has stabilized.

As for the cultural aspect of this, it's entirely possible that many parents (most of them baby boomers) might have made the choice to let their kids live a harder life on their own during this trying period in their 20's. For whatever reason, though, many of these parents decided to give their kids' a leg up by removing the burden of housing expenses from their hardships.

For many, that gave them a rather significant advantage in avoiding hardship & developing wealth that then allowed them to live on their own much more comfortably. For quite a few, however, it's also become something of a crutch (or a trap) in which they are perpetually unemployed, have become functionally unemployable (no work experience) and allowed to subsist on a combination of family & government generosity.

I'm curious to see if the trend recedes should economic conditions improve or if the next generation of young adults' parents (most of them Gen-X'ers) continue to look at it as a means of giving their kids a leg up, even as it no longer becomes necessary for avoiding hardship.

It's close to impossible to get an apartment as a young adult these days in Norway, if you don't have rich parents that can help financially. The housing prices has only gone steeper and steeper since the 90s, with no break. Even a medium sized apartment in dire need of refurbishing easily cost way over 200k USD. A house I know of that is in the middle of refurbishing and has been on hold for that for close to a year due to financial problems, has risen in value ca 25k in that year alone. I rent a cheap student apartment from the state right now. The private market is much more expansive. Yet I pay 670 USD for 20 square meters of place, Internet, cable and electricity included.

Yeah, in the area I live, apartments rent for between $1500/month ($18k/yr USD) way out in the suburbs and $2500/month ($30k/yr USD) or more near where you'd work. An entry-level salary could be in the ballpark of $15k/yr USD to $30k/yr USD. That means, even with a roommate, rent will be taking between all or half your income.

With significantly more success in our careers, the house my wife and I just purchased is just under $600k USD, even though it's quite a ways out in the suburbs. A similar house close to work would have easily cost around $1M USD.

For folks in their early 20's coming straight out of college, it's really rough unless they're in a technical field where an entry salary is in the $40k/yr USD - $60k/yr USD range.

I've just had the pleasure of replacement my desktop's videocard...again! :wall:

Texas is cheap rent, I am paying ~$1400 a month for a 3200 sq. ft. home (mortgage) that would sell for ~ $380k

Right now in my area houses are selling really fast, meaning more demand then supply. There are literally 100 housing starts within 3 miles of my house. building is crazy right now.

We are trying to do some improvements, but hard to get anyone's attention right now.

Just wanna say Hey Dale thanks for gifting me Portal but wtf is it lol

Just one of the best games last decade.

I hate giant, market dominators like Google. :mad: I use Yahoo's search engine, which is not quite as morally repugnant. This morning, I awoke to find that, during the night, my search engine had "magically" been switched over to Google. I didn't do it. :no: It took me about 5 minutes to remember how to switch it back.

Just wanna say Hey Dale thanks for gifting me Portal but wtf is it lol

Play it. It's great. I had a few spare copies and spread some love to friends who didn't have it.

Portal is awesome! Anyone know how Portal 2 compares? Might pick it up in the Xmas sale if you guys give some good feedback.

I hate giant, market dominators like Google. :mad: I use Yahoo's search engine, which is not quite as morally repugnant. This morning, I awoke to find that, during the night, my search engine had "magically" been switched over to Google. I didn't do it. :no: It took me about 5 minutes to remember how to switch it back.

If you want moral superiority from your search engine choice, then I recommend duckduckgo.com. They do none of the tracking and analysis of your searches that many other players do.

I went into my library, looking for a certain book.

First, I found a pile of dust indicating I have powder post beetles in my shelves.

Then I found the book, being eaten by book worms.

We pulled out a bunch of books. One was already half eaten. :eek:

Not a happy day at the Zkribbler household. :crying:

Just before the hatchet fell I had executed the most charming invasion of the Netherlands ever wrought. I had not attacked Belgium so the allies stood on the other Belgian border contemplating sadly upon their Belgian neighbor's lack of cojones. Of course as soon as the last Dutch soldier gave in and called me his great and benevolent highborn master I'd have bestowed justice on the Belgians, cut through them, and on to Paris my friends, Paris. However the hatchet of destiny fell, my dreams of conquest went dark as did my monitor as the power went out. :angry:

Sorry about your books Zkrib. There are two ways to win against the bugs. One is to spray the books with a persistent pesticide, the other is to eat your books first. Whatever you do, and hear what I'm saying amigo, don't do both. That would be bad.

I went into my library, looking for a certain book.

First, I found a pile of dust indicating I have powder post beetles in my shelves.

Then I found the book, being eaten by book worms.

We pulled out a bunch of books. One was already half eaten. :eek:

Not a happy day at the Zkribbler household. :crying:

Do mothballs work? I know in Equador that they were used a lot to help control bookworms, but I don't know how effective they really were.

I guess this is where I go to complain about Poly moderation. *sigh*. I should have learned from the emperor having no clothes.

Edited by Ben Kenobi

Standing in queue at Santaland to get a photo we've no intention of buying. Yah merry fn christmas.

buying a new computer.... loading all the software to run things, then forgetting your steam account PW, and steam not making it easy for sending it to you!

Forgot password -> open mail -> follow two step instructions -> ??? -> profit!

buying a new computer.... loading all the software to run things, then forgetting your steam account PW, and steam not making it easy for sending it to you!

Laptop power system died yesterday. Scurried to the computer store before it closed and bought a new one. Ask the guys to transfer all the files from my old to the new. They transferred all my photos, didn't transfer my document files, and then left the laptop on until the power ran out. The good news is: I'm pretty sure I have backups for everything important...pretty sure.

Ben Kenobi sighting! :woohoo:

I hate frozen fractals. Abby loves the drama music for girls from Disney's Frozen. She even had a dramatic kids ballet dance to the stuff which made her very happy, and that's always good. Still, I have now listened to this chick wallowing in self pity and empty triumph just too many times. So, I complain in the complaint thread.

While I don't recommend it if you have a pressing need to feel my pain...

Years ago, my best friend from law school shared a large apartment with other young lawyer types. One divorced guy had his daughter visiting regularly. Every time she came over she had to watch Lion King. My buddy was going out of his mind.

I turns out the storm surge from Typhoon Queenie shoved a bunch of rocks up the drainage pipe from the little house. Rigo's bathroom wouldn't drain. Yesterday, Pedro was over chipping out the poured concrete steps down to the beach to get at the pipe. Sinto, our neighborhood plumber, cleaned out the rocks and replumbed the pipe's end so that it won't happen again. I gave both he and Pedro P500, which is way over market price, but hey, it's Christmas.

LilNerd seems to be hitting the "terrible 2s." Unfortunately she's not even 20 months yet. I just hope that means it's over sooner too.