Arnelos

What games are you currently playing (or have been recently)?

300 posts in this topic

I have the opposite problem.  I LIKE playing the older games (such as Skyrim currently) and don't necessarily feel the desire to start a game I've never played before, even though I own it.

Now alternating between....

1. Elite: Dangerous - for when I'm actually free of childcare responsibilities and am least likely to be interrupted (so not often enough)

2. Minecraft - Now that my son is playing with LEGOs and interested in at least seeing Minecraft get played, I'll fly around in creative mode and point out things to him

3. Stellaris - Works when I'm holding a drowsing 5-month old while trying to play a game (though not so well if he's fully awake) or the 3-year old wants to play by himself somewhere but I still have to pay attention and pause occasionally.

In fact, I find that I now divide my games into these 2 classes:

100% attention games: Elite, any action game, anything un-pausable/multiplayer.

50% attention games: Stellaris, Civ, X-Com, anything else turn-based and/or pause-able.

I dearly wish I had more time for the first group, but I spend most of my time on the 2nd.

8 minutes ago, Arnelos said:

In fact, I find that I now divide my games into these 2 classes:

100% attention games: Elite, any action game, anything un-pausable/multiplayer.

50% attention games: Stellaris, Civ, X-Com, anything else turn-based and/or pause-able.

I dearly wish I had more time for the first group, but I spend most of my time on the 2nd.

Welcome to life with children.  It's much less of a problem with a 12 year old, but I still have to pause things on occasion for "hey daddy look at this" when he finds something cool he wants to show me.

I remember playing KOTOR when he was a baby because it was one of the few games that I could play solely one-handed with a mouse when I had him in the other arm.

Having finished playing one game - I'm in the phase where I am trying to figure out what game to play next - which unfortunately for me takes a while :( (especially due to my large game backlog).

Debating among Starpoint Gemini Warlords, Skyrim, Witcher 2, Stars in Shadow, Civ 6, Elite Dangerous, Age of Empires 3 or Crusader Kings 2...

Back into Elite: Dangerous again.

Also been playing a multiplayer game of Stellaris for the first time - which worked as a way of getting my brother and father into the game.

I'll probably take a stab at the Civ 6 expansion at some point after it comes out, though.

Anyone else?

Sporadically playing some older console games while waiting for the expansions for Civ6 and Stellaris to drop.

HOI4 and Stars in Shadow, DL'ing Tyranny (just bought it).  Waiting for Stellaris, so I can get pissed by how how slow it runs late game.

2 hours ago, conmcb25 said:

SWG Emu

11374107_627214497380498_1678006595_n.jp

9 hours ago, Rhoth said:

11374107_627214497380498_1678006595_n.jp

Add a glowy stick and you nailed it......................

Had to reinstall windows (and all of my games afterwards) after a flawed Dell patch caused a rolling restart problem :( .

Started a new Subnautica game (old one didn't seem to work) and have eventually gotten back to almost where I was in the last saved game.  Just as well as I got game achievements this time round :) unlike the pre-release game.

Mainly Age of Wonders 3. Mechanics are fine but the campaigns are a bit lack lustre compared to Shadow Magic. Biggest complaint is that you have to rush the AI as otherwise they get too strong. This is disappointing as a) I'm a cautious player but mainly it doesn't give you a chance to explore the game mechanics and lore.

Been playing a bit of Regalia:Men and Monarchs which is interesting but ultimately I don't think its going to hold my interest. Mainly because its really hard - three or four combats in I'm still reloading multiple times and the game mechanics are a bit opaque. The humour did make me smile though which for video game humour is something. I want to like it but just too frustrating. 

On the coming up next list....Megaquariam which I'm hoping will be a casual fill 20 minutes here and there and Battletech. And possibly Rise of Industry although I think there's more development to come.

On 25/07/2019 at 3:10 PM, avensis said:

I wanted to try the game Regalia: Men and Monarchs but I read a lot of bad reviews so I did not buy it

I think I'd struggle to recommend it but I'd also want to applaud the developer for doing something different. Maybe if it explained things a little better (like fishing), elaborated on how relationships between characters developed and made combat easier with a better tutorial. There's tool tips galore but they don't always explain the mechanics themselves.

Currently trying out Pathfinder Kingmaker.   I've barely gotten into it so far though.  Not much beyond the tutorial area.

To be honest, I couldn't seem to get into it.  I like D&D, Pathfinder, etc., but I never got farther than the inn right after the prologue.  Age of Wonders Planetfall came out, and then I wanted to play Fallout 4 again. 

I enjoyed Gwent in the Witcher, so that + a nice story was enough for me.

As well as hoping my Skyrim game doesn't break I've played a bit of Order of Battle.

Bought this ages ago and never played it. Taking a look I discover they've completely changed the charging model. Now the base game tutorial and the first few turns of every DLC are free. I guess the idea being if you enjoy a couple of turns you buy a DLC. Main problem with this is that it took me ages to update my game to a working version and work out what licence codes I actually had.

Anyway its very similar to Panzer General/Panzer Corps but slightly more tactical. Units have a lot more abilities. There's also an abstracted supply lines rule which is quite fun. The main interest for me though is seeing scenarios set in theatres normally ignored - Pacific, Burma, China etc.

So far the scenarios have been well designed and its good to have several defensive ones as opposed to the normal capture everything. In the Philippines I was totally out classed and it become a case of how long can you hold on to that secondary victory hex. The naval combat feels a bit under developed but still better than PG. 

Edited by Standup

Got to go back to Skyrim at some point.  Such a good game until your break it of course.

Taking a break from Skyrim (reached the point where I'm pretty indestructible so just exploring now) I played warlock 2 - the exiled and a bit of Renowned Explorers for a quick fix. Just bought Kingdom Come - Deliverance but I think I need a good period of time set aside for that one.

Warlock 2 is fun but with some annoying User Interface issues and has the feel of a game that ran out of money/development time.

None.  My obsession for several years is biking. If the weather is too bad for biking (which it hardly ever is) there is local bike advocacy to consume my time.   

I don't think I've played a game in over a year or two.  Haven't purchased one in several years. I still get emails from Steam about their sales which sometimes look tempting, but I ask "why when I have all these games I haven't finished that I don't play"  

None right now, but I've played League of Legends for a while.

Tell us a bit about it and what you like about it.

Also, you can join us over at out WPC Discord server at https://discord.gg/8KjuJzS