Arnelos

What games are you currently playing (or have been recently)?

300 posts in this topic

Seeing as we all seem to want stuff to chat about, but no-one is precisely sure what's going on at the moment aside from waiting for Civ:BE...

What games are you currently playing and/or have been playing recently?

For me:

- Civilization 5: Brave New World. I never really got into Civ5 & didn't play Gods & Kings all that long, but I'm finding myself increasingly hooked on Brave New World. It's sad that Civ5 took a full two expansions to get the basic Civ formula "right" and make a genuinely "just one more turn" game out of this thing, but it seems to have done the trick. I'm rather enjoying it.

- Elder Scrolls Online. I was playing this a lot at first, but have scaled it back into just being part of my rotation of games for now. My "main" is only up to about level 25 (out of 50).

Mini Review: The opening zones feel a lot more like an elder scrolls game (with freedom) than everything thereafter so far. It goes from being an open exploration game on the first two islands where nothing is likely to kill you outright and you're free to just explore around to find all the nooks and crannies... to being a tiered and heavily balanced progression/theme park ride like every other MMO. I'm taking another crack back at it, but I think it says something that starting new characters in the other factions and taking on THEIR starting areas appeals to me more than continuing to play my "main" through the next leveling zone worth of theme park ride content. I've not given up on the game yet, but I'm waiting to see if anything else can hold my interest.

- UFO: Enemy Unknown. I don't have the expansion. Just wanted to play back through the original. I'm up to just shy of shooting down the battleship with my firestorm (waiting for my hyperwave detector to finish construction - firestorm is already lined up and ready to go).

- Crusader Kings II. Toyed around with an English count for a while (rose to duke pretty quickly under William the Conqueror... still working my way up).

That's all for now.

Once the baby gets here, I imagine some of this will need to be scaled back for a bit, but I'm bound to find time to play something... at some point... maybe...

For me the following:

Creeper World 3: pretty cool tower defense style game. Worth a look.

Kerbal Space Program: pretty sure everyone knows this one. Played some campaign, but not playing it that much.

Starbound: a better Terraria, Terraria on different planets.

Rock Run: the game I'm making.

Apart from the obvious game, I'm not doing much gaming these days. A little WiiU playing with my sister, mainly Mario 3D World. And I've had fun with an indie game on WiiU called Child of Light. Playing a quiz game on my iPhone with my other sister, called Quiz Battle 2.

Dry spell. When I get really bored, I play Hearthstone on my tablet. I also keep finding my way back to Crusader Kings 2 on occasion.

Minecraft, Skyrim, and just started Hearthstone and boy do I suck at it.

Skyrim again. Trying out new things and new combat styles, etc.

Kerbal Space Program: pretty sure everyone knows this one. Played some campaign, but not playing it that much.

I keep wanting to go back and play more of this, but the last I played it my game would crash every time because of all of the mods I installed. My primary frustration to date is trying to get a spacecraft that doesn't spontaneously fly apart at some random point in deep space because of imprecisely symmetrical strut placement or other structural deficiencies that the default ship designer makes nigh impossible to fix.

I heard that a newer patch attempted to address that issue, but I've yet to summon the desire to reinstall my game and take another go at it.

Any mods you'd actually recommend or are you playing the game sans mods?

Sans mods, probably why I'll play for a few hours then leave it again.

Wildstar

Borderlands 2

EQ Landmark if I get time and am bored

Keep thinking about playing Dominions again, but not actually doing it.

Borderlands 2 - when I get the chance which is not very often these days.

Distant Worlds Universe

Dead Island Epidemic

Endless Legend

Diablo 3

Tentatively got back into Planetside 2 a bit as of yesterday. Not sure I'll have time to play it once the baby is born in a month or so, though.

I'm in a very barren gaming spell at the moment, but now that summer has ended and the cold nights are drawing in I hope to fire up some of my favorite games. Looking to get back into:

Crusader Kings 2

Europa Universalis 4

UFO: Enemy Unknown

Combat Mission

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Skyrim

War in the East

Battles from the Bulge

Battle of the Bulge (ios)

Drive on Moscow (ios)

Agricola (ios)

and maybe even Borderlands.....

FeMme has also hinted that she'd be interested in getting Twilight Struggle out onto the dinner table again! :)

Borderlands 2 with the Siren rather than the Commando

Age of Wonders 3 although decided to leave this a while as the patches are making significant changes. Start afresh rather than carry on.

Just bought the Xcom expansion so will probably pick this up again

Short way through Expeditions Conquistador although hasn't quite grabbed me - the kickstarter origins and limited budget showing

Realms of Arkania remake now that it looks almost playable

Been playing more Planetside 2 as the NC, which I'm finding that I prefer to when I played as Vanu solely to play with people from RL (who wanted that faction). NC feels significantly more difficult to master than I recall with Vanu (who have no bullet drop, etc.) and near constantly the underdogs, but it's a lot of fun. Had a string of victories and took the desert continent today, which was pretty awesome.

Recently (to the extent I have time around baby)...

Civ V: Brave New World - Played games recently as England, Babylon, Polynesia, China, America, Germany, and Greece. I also finally tried out hotseat in a game with my father and brother while at my parents' vacation home a month ago. That was pretty fantastic.

The Elder Scrolls Online - I have gotten back into this game and been far more enchanted by it than I was the first time around. The game has gotten better (more of the game has actually been finished now) and I'm encountering content that's far more interesting than before. They've also balanced and improve combat. It's frankly just a better game than it was at release.

Divinity: Original Sin - I'm not entirely sure why I'm not enjoying this game as much as others, but my mini-review is in the dedicated thread. I intend to give this game another try once I've tired of ESO, though.

Haven't been playing games for a couple of weeks. I simple have had zero time.

I'm on vacation, so I've only played a quiz game on my phone with my sister at home.

Started playing in the Elite: Dangerous beta. I also got myself a flight controller w/throttle to use for the game.

Mini-review:

- Zomg is there a learning curve to this game - compounded in my case by trying to get used to using a flight stick for the first time in nearly 2 decades.

- Fun so far! It's basically Wing Commander: Privateer with a much-needed update so far. Not as much sight-seeing just yet (I'm not sure if planetary atmospheres are enabled yet?), but pretty sweet regardless.

- I've mostly just been running cargo and outrunning pirates so far. I've yet to try to actually tangle with anything.

Penry - I know you're playing. You playing with a group or anything yet?

:huh: it's a massively multiplayer game...which means my internet connection won't support it.

I'm playing in open online at the moment. Let me know your commander name and I'll friend you. We have more chance of being in the same instance then. I'm Cmdr Penry - surprise, surprise.

I think you might be surprised too Zkribbler. A lot of the data is peer to peer, with only the big picture coming from a server. The play area is huge too, so a great deal of the time you are flying around with AI anyway. You'll also be able to play single player online or single player offline even. You can also play in a closed group if you so wish. Lots of options.

Check out this video for some awesome use of the stealth mode!

I'm playing in open online at the moment. Let me know your commander name and I'll friend you. We have more chance of being in the same instance then. I'm Cmdr Penry - surprise, surprise.

I've only played Solo (online) so far, so my commander name is Backer #... I don't remember my number right now. I haven't even found an option to rename the commander yet.

My thought was that I had best get the flight model down and basic game mechanics before entering the online space and subjecting myself to being blown to bits because I don't know how to fly my ship.

So far, all I've really been doing is learning the economic model & flying around on simple cargo runs with my pathetic 4-size cargo hold on the sidewinder.

Do you know if the solo & online content are linked? I assume not - such that if I start an online game, it'll be a new (and entirely separate) character.

I think as long as you don't play solo offline (I don't think you can at the moment) then your career is linked no matter what.

Here's instructions for changing your pilot name - http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?p=454913&postcount=29

The cargo missions are a far better way of generating cash in the Sidewinder - 4K - 8K for a single ton.

Awesome. Now Kaederin rather than Backer #9119 (or whatever number I was).

Request sent. I promise to behave if we happen to share the same system! ;)