Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zkribbler

Thief II, the Metal Age

4 posts in this topic

I got a powerful hankering to play Thief II again, especially the "across the rooftops" scenario.

I found my ancient copy of it and installed it on my desktop. Only, it won't play. :( So, I coughed up $6+ to re-buy it from Steam.

I'm trying to remember. Is the rooftops scenario Number 6?

No. 1 is breaking into the mansion to free the fiancee.

No. 2 is the chase across the city, with the change in goals, so then I must re-cross the city.

No. 3 is the warehouse [which is a pretty fun scenario].

No. 4 is maybe the temple??

Things are pretty blurry after that. :wall: There's a breaking-into-the-bank scenario, I know.

Did you know there's a new one just come out?

There's a pretty active debate online about whether the latest "thief" game is indeed Thief.

At the very least, it's plotline is most certainly not Thief (and has been pretty universally panned as insipid) - and the limitations of cross-platform development with consoles mean that it doesn't share the staggering scale of the original 2 thief games, either (though neither did Thief: Deadly Shadows for the same reason). But then at least a couple of the reviews have been quite positive about enjoyment of the gameplay, so I suppose it's probably worth playing at least for that.

I'm planning to wait on it until at least the price is half of what it is now - $60 for a game with a crappy plot and hokey console-style gameplay isn't worth it for me. I'll wait until it's down to $20 - $30 at most, I think.

Did you know there's a new one just come out?

I watched TotalBiscuit's review. He liked it, but I was really offended when he pointed out you can fight TWO guards and expect to win. This takes the stealth right out of the game. :mad: