Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OzzyKP

Super Choppy Mouse on New Computer - Win8.1

15 posts in this topic

I just bought a new laptop. Yet, despite being more powerful than my desktop when I try to play Civ the mouse is all choppy. It makes playing very difficult. Trying to move units with my mouse is difficult as they often go to places without my clicking.

I didn't at all expect that upgrading my computer would downgrade my Civ playing.

My specs:

Intel i7 4700 2.40 Ghz

8 GB RAM

x64 Windows 8.1

And I have two graphics cards, both are: GeForce GT 750M

Why am I having problems?

The only problem you will have is that CIV will you go too fast :) nice machine you've got congratulations.

P.S. Kill the mouse:gun_cowboy:

run MS update I have win8.1 and yes the mouse was a pain at first until it installed the latest ms keyboard and mouse software make sure you run ms update for windows and other ms products or goto ms website and search for MS keyboard and Mouse software.

I'm not even using the normal laptop trackpad thingy. I have a wireless logitech keyboard & mouse combo and I installed new drivers for them. It is more than just a choppy mouse I suppose, it is like the computer keeps freezing when Civ is open. Back on my desktop, with only 4 GB of memory, this would happen from time to time when I had too many things open and running. I should have more than enough resources to handle civ, but... I dunno. This is very strange.

Typing this out is choppy and delayed as well. Every so often I'll hit a key and it'll hang for a bit before it shows up. I have Civ minimized in the background, but it is still affecting me here.

did you do what I suggested?

edit : you need 8gb ram for windows 8

So 8 gb of ram for win 8 is equivalent to 4 gb of ram for win 7?

I installed drivers for my Logitech keyboard and mouse.

yep you need 4gb to run win 8 the other 4gb is to play civ v lol

Ugh. I have a copy of Win 7, do you think that would be less resource intensive?

Looking at memory usage in task manager I dont get above 40% used when running Civ though. That seems like I have plenty left.

Try other stuff first. Like running civ in compatibility mode. Also, does the 2k splash screen animation play smooth? Its a very useful indicator for the whole game I've found...

Just saw this topic now, but you might be helped by reading this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279

Basically a hotfix for Windows 8.1.

Ohw, and Windows 8 being more resource intensive then Windows 7 on the memory field is nonsense. Resource management is actually better in Windows 8 and you should have better performance on the same system (assuming you do comply with minimum requirements of course).

On the same subject of your mouse, this is an interesting article as well: http://www.howtogeek.com/175722/how-to-fix-mouse-lag-in-pc-games-on-windows-8.1/

Helps explaining that the mentioned hotfix is not delivered through Windows Update.

Oh wow, fantastic. That is incredibly helpful, thank you so much. That is exactly the problem I'm having, yay! Great news about Win8 vs. Win7 too.

As for the hotfix.. I'm not able to get it to install. I keep getting a pop up that says "the update is not applicable to your computer" I tried both the x86 and x64 versions.

Ah, it looks like I was wrong about Windows 8.1. I still have Windows 8. That probably explains why the hotfix wasn't working. I'm downloading 8.1 now.

that would help...