Russia4Life

In depth strategy discussions

76 posts in this topic

I have used the save cheat massively on pod pops in a number of SP games, and I've never had a SP rushed. It seems to come a lot more easily for rushing a scout than a satellite, but I've done it enough to be fairly sure you just never get that for a secret project.

but I've done it enough to be fairly sure you just never get that for a secret project.

+1

Question: a probe team on the same tile as another unit is destroyed if that unit gets destroyed.

But what if the probe team is armored?

(and thanks for all who keep answering my questions month after month!)

i tried doing this with an armored grav tank drop probe team.when rival unit moved into my tile it said probe team captured and the unit reappeared at its base of origin.thats just one example i don't use probe teams that often so i'm not an expert.

Question: a probe team on the same tile as another unit is destroyed if that unit gets destroyed.

But what if the probe team is armored?

(and thanks for all who keep answering my questions month after month!)

oh im sorry you meant an allied unit my bad

o.k i paired a heavily armored probe team with a unity scout and both units were destroyed.the defense stat of the probe team did not matter

That's bad news but facts are tough.

Thanks for the info, Brother Fishhead! :D

If I remember correctly armor on probes are primarily for reducing bombardment damage. Never had a -2 or -3r probe attacked directly so I'm unsure as to how that works.

If I'm not mistaken, an armored probe defends like an armored infantry.

Not in probe-probe combat.

If you've got the tech, psi armor probes are the way to defend against conventional attack...

If you've got the tech' date=' psi armor probes are the way to defend against conventional attack...[/quote']

you see i didn't even know probes attacked you learn something new everyday

If you've got the tech' date=' psi armor probes are the way to defend against conventional attack...[/quote']

Not following. Damn cervezas. Please explain i.e. a Morgan probe 0-3r-2 stands alone in a base. Will it defend against a crazed Miriam 4-1-1 infantry?

With psi armor it will. It can only attack with probing unless there's another probe stacked with the Believer infantry unit, but with psi armor, it defends according to its reactor value- if it has fusion and :miriam: doesn't, she doesn't have a prayer- the weapon won't matter..

K. Usefull. Thanks. Psi means trance right? Kind of slow today, sluggishly so.

No, Psi ARMOR. It turns attacks into psi combat, like with a worm, where weapons don't count. Probes are pretty defenseless with anything else.

Good to know. I do wonder what tech enables this as it seems a crucial one for Morgan and his lousy support. Drat been playing this game for ages and I don't even know this how will I ever be allpowerfull?

psi armor is a bad idea for probes, keeps em vulnerable to bombardment damage - one decent shot -> 1hp.

Good to know. I do wonder what tech enables this as it seems a crucial one for Morgan and his lousy support. Drat been playing this game for ages and I don't even know this how will I ever be allpowerfull?

If I'm not mistaken, Eudinomia. Which is a late middle tech.

It seems like Lal is best for OOC. His first negative(-1 EFFIC) is effectively harmless, and his benefit of population size would be very helpful, along with the talent bonus. Planetary Govenor vote benefit is ehh. Still helps somewhat. You might not get in office, but you can at least get your allies in. The police state aversion might be a minor problem though.

Edited by mail2345
Note on OOC

speaking of probes how do you restart a fallen faction by probing,must you go to the last captured city of the fallen faction or the capital of the capturing faction?

Someone can tell me exactly how works a Biology Lab?

It says it gives you +2 lab points and I wondered whether they would be 2 basic research points or 2 bonus research points.

I just tested in transcend games and the results are...very strange:

SMAC classic

Energy: 5 +3 bonus ----> 5 + 9 bonus

Lab: 5 +5 bonus -------> 5 + 9 bonus

SMAX

Energy: 25 +9 bonus ----> 25 + 9 bonus

Lab: 25 +9 bonus -------> 25 + 13 bonus

Edited by Vishniac
IErrors.

Question about the endgame - on whether fungus squares are preferable to terraformed squares.

With the Manifold Harmonics, you get a bonus depending on your Planet rating, as well as the steadily ramping bonuses from the various "Secrets of" techs you can get. At some point, it becomes more economical to just plant Fungus in all squares (or use a Fungal Payload missile) and harvest that.

I'm in my final stages of a handpalm game ("handpalm" = where you're so powerful you metaphorically hold the other nations "in the palm of your hand" and can crush them at any time) and the fungus is giving me better bonuses than my Triee Farm/Hybrid Forest bases surrounded by Forest enhancement on the Monsoon Jungle. However, one important thing is that any underlying bonuses, like Minerals or Nutrients, don't pass through the fungus.

Another important thing is the fungus births a fair few worms.

Maybe big, established bases with TF/HF should continue with forests and small newer bases without them should just use fungus?

(I'm playing without crawlers, as the game is just too easy with them.)

Edit: BU is right, I meant "Manifold Harmonics" instead of "Pholus Mutagen".

Edited by Alinestra Covelia