Netherlords

[Android] Introducing the 4x strategy game Rising Empires

15 posts in this topic

Hi,

My name is Peter Norberg and I'm one half of the indie studio Hellhound Interactive. I would like to tell you a bit about our game Rising Empires which we released on Google Play and Amazon not so long ago. Since it's a turn based strategy game (4x) I thought civ players might be interested to give it a try. The game comes in two versions, one free ad-supported version and one premium version with two extra playable races.

Rising Empires Premium is an epic 4x turn-based strategy game in a fantasy setting, where six races compete for control of all the land on the Surface and in the Netherworld. The main features of Rising Empires Premium are:

• Six playable races, all with unique abilities making for very different game experiences
  • Two levels with cave openings to enable movement between them
  • All empires design their own troop types and give them abilities that suit their playing style
  • Play quick games with only two empires or long epic ones with up to 8 empires
  • An advanced combat system to battle it out with the different troop types
  • A well developed technology tree

Here comes a few screenshots:

5.jpg

The world of Rising Empires Premium consists of two levels; the Surface and the Netherworld. While the Surface is the ancestral home to the long-lived Elves and the Humans, the dark caves below is the home of strange creatures like the unliving Ende, the brutal Greenskins, the insectoid Krant and the versatile Dwarves. Long tunnels connect the Surface with the Netherworld.

Rising Empires Premium features a rich and large technology tree and loads of buildings ranging from regular marketplaces to structures unique to specific races. Expand by building both settlements and fortifications. And even better: design your own troop types and try to master the advanced combat system with your own strategy. Make war against other empires, undead Ghouls, raging Minotaur clans, secretive Lizard men and powerful Dragons!

Rising Empires Premium is a complex game and not easy to master. A series of tutorials and guides has been published on our blog. If you give it a try I would be happy to hear your comments and thoughts about it. We're working on a new update which will feature roads, rivers and lots of more graphics.

Cheers!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

This looks actually pretty neat. I was long looking for a 4x game playable on a smartphone, i.e. not requiring a large display. I played a few turns and it looks promising. Keep up the good work and thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I cannot wait to try this to be honest, it does look good, only problem is that I can only try it on my partner's phone, which I'm obviously not goign to have regular access to. From the screenshots it does look to be a better game than some of the more accessible free browser games out there!

Is this multiplayer or single VS AI?

Played about 7 turns of the game earlier, and felt that it's typicla that the game I've been waiting to play for ages happens to be an andriod only game.

I like it. I'm playing on a Samsung Galaxy FAME and it can be a little unresponsive at times, not sure if that's the phone or the game itself.

One negative (and this is not a game breaker, just a personal preference), you don't appear to have a tech tree, but tech paths, level 1 economics leads to level 2 economics ETC. Personally I prefer the tech tree to be more like civ in which each tech is a unique name and may unlock 2 or more new techs, or 1 teach may have 2 or more pre-requisites. But as I said, not a game breaker, just how I like my techs to be laid out.

Only playing the free version though and I've only tried the Greenskins

Oh....it would be nice to have some gfx change to the tiles when you improve farming on them, granted it's obvious which ones have been upgraded from the improvement screen, but it's still nice to have a shiny new gfx when you do something :D

One negative (and this is not a game breaker, just a personal preference), you don't appear to have a tech tree, but tech paths, level 1 economics leads to level 2 economics ETC. Personally I prefer the tech tree to be more like civ in which each tech is a unique name and may unlock 2 or more new techs, or 1 teach may have 2 or more pre-requisites. But as I said, not a game breaker, just how I like my techs to be laid out.
The tech tree is actually a combination of tree and paths. There are quite a lot of techs that require that your empire complete parts of other branches to be unlocked. We decided to do this in order to allow more freedom to evolve the empire as you wish. With a regular tech tree, as in civ, all empires develops the same way but with different speeds. In Rising Empires you can let your empire evolve very differently depending on how you want to play.
Oh....it would be nice to have some gfx change to the tiles when you improve farming on them, granted it's obvious which ones have been upgraded from the improvement screen, but it's still nice to have a shiny new gfx when you do something :D
This is coming in the next update, together with the ability to pillage enemy improvements, build roads and lots more...:)

Check our our blog for screenshots of how it will look.

Cheers!

I tried playing it on my Kindle Fire HD, but the game stops working when creating a new world on gamestart.

Unfortunately I've now given up playing this, on the FAME phone the screen is too small and I find myself struggling to push buttons correctly and the response time can be poor. I also experienced an odd gfx glitch that turned the whole screen into a rainbow of colours (with the correct image barely visible).

It is a good game, but clearly has some bugs, but I appreciate the response to my comments.

I may have a android tablet to try this on after christmas, so I'll give it another go then. but otherwise not comfortable to play on the small screen of the Galaxy FAME :(

Unfortunately I've now given up playing this, on the FAME phone the screen is too small and I find myself struggling to push buttons correctly and the response time can be poor. I also experienced an odd gfx glitch that turned the whole screen into a rainbow of colours (with the correct image barely visible).

I'm sorry to hear this. We play the game on phones with 4-4.5 inch screens and that works very well. I'm not sure how big (small?) the Galaxy Fame screen is though. The strange gfx glitch sounds more like a hardware problem than something with the game. I sure hope you get a tablet after christmas... :)

I tried playing it on my Kindle Fire HD, but the game stops working when creating a new world on gamestart.

Odd, the game creation process is very stable in the last release. I'm currently running some genetic algorithms to develop the AI and I've currently run some 150 games now without a single crasch. Or rather, my computer has done it. I'm not sure there is anything we can do about it without more information. Thank you for giving the game a try!

Is there any way to get a log or something that might help you?

The Kindle Fire does have a heavily modified Android version, so maybe it's that?

Yeah, it's probably due to the modifications. If you can connect your Kindle to a PC and have the Android SDK installed it's possible to get details of why the game crashes (the LogCat, it says what line in the code the error occures). That would help very much.

I'll look into it this weekend.

I've just got a tip on what could cause the error and will look into it this weekend as well.

Have a good weekend! :)

If you're interested in Rising Empires now is the time to buy. We have a Christmas sale and have cut the price of Rising Empires Premium with 40% (now $1.99)! We want to celebrate the festive season and the recent update with new graphics and features like road building.

forumpost.png

Check it out at Google Play!