Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alexander

New Civ Game Will Be an MMO

13 posts in this topic

Here's a little bit of news I saw that I thought might be worth reporting over here:

Source: IGN

Civilization Online has finally been revealed for PC. The massively multiplayer strategy game, developed in CryEngine3, is under development at XL Games rather than the series' home at Firaxis, and allows players to play as a single character in a world dominated by role-playing elements. Turn-based strategy is out, some form of action is in.

According to an interview at Massively, you'll choose one of four civilizations, customize your class-based character, and proceed through the Ancient, Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial, and Modern eras. Series creator Sid Meier is not involved.

Victory, true to Civ form, comes from conquering other civilizations or achieving space travel. PvP combat focuses on on-on-one battles, as well as grouping up with other players to sack cities. What's different, however, is the way players interact with the world: They create it. You'll build structures and grow cities, contribute to Wonders, and decorate your home. You'll level up, unlock skills, and craft items to sell to other players at auction houses.

XL Games says it's leaning toward free to play, and has no release window yet.

Count me dubious of the concept... but at least it's F2P, so you can essentially demo it without spending money before deciding.

Count me dubious of the concept... but at least it's F2P, so you can essentially demo it without spending money before deciding.

Yep, especially since neither Firaxis nor Sid Meier are even involved.

Indeed, I'm not overly fan of this type of game and I'm not sure it will fit the theme.

The only reason this can be called "Civilization Online" is because 2K owns the name :(. I classify it more as a sidetrack to compensate for the failed CivWorld attempt for now. :)

Count me as suitably sceptical that this game is targeted to us.

Link to Dev site: http://www.xlgames.com/en/

EDIT:

They've already developed an MMORPG called ArcheAge in CryEngine3. My guess is they will use their existing engine for this new game. Which means we should expect graphics like below (Google Images ArcheAge for more):

3.jpg

Edited by Dale

Count me as suitably sceptical that this game is targeted to us.

That may well be the most apt way to put this... while we are fans of the Civilization franchise and the subject material, we are most likely not the target audience for this particular game.

Of course, that leads to the question of just who IS the target audience.... and whether enough of them exist to keep this thing going. It's not like the PvP MMO environment has a lack of competition...

This looks like a really bad idea. And it's not really Civ either.

Dear oh dear......................

I agree with Skirnir - this is not Civ. At all.

No it's not....but it does sound like something a little different and not necessarily a bad thing of the "Civilisation" aspect is dropped.

Kind of makes me think of a different approach on the Mincraft "build it and then watch as someone else knocks it all down" sort of thing. What I'd hate to see is a game that allows you to build all these wonderful things in full 3D, make you take ages to do it (due to skill/resources/what-ever) but then allow other players to destroy it in a far shorter amoutn of time than it takes to build.

Having said that, i won't be playing it, F2P or not....just don't have the hardware to keep up :-(....however if I could, i'd at least give it a go, but yeah, agree that the title is bad.

Sounds like the worst idea for a game EVVA!!!! :q::q::q::q::q::q::q::q::q::q::q::q::q::q:

Well, that certainly saves us from spending any time on this.

Ah, I wouldn't read that as it's NEVER going to be released outside of South Korea....only that they haven't decided yet. Depending upon it's success in Korea they may still push/develop a European and/or a North America release.

I'm still waiting for a game called Sevencore that appeared intrguiging (but a fairly standard MMO), however although it's had a european release the version is only in german....which seems a bit odd, moreso because there has been an NA release, but the launcher detects the country and thus I can only run the german version and not the NA one which is in english....bit of a tangent there.