Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Argroww

Freeorion

8 posts in this topic

www.freeorion.org

Surprised that we've got no thread for this as it deserves being tracked.

Currently on version 0.4.2 and judguing by the sourceforge "test" builds is most definitely still being actively developed.

I recently downloaded (and then upgrade to the latest test build) the above version and whilst is it definately rough around the edges with some fairly minor issues this is now a playable game with an active AI (several variants of).

As expected of most 4X games you can select the galaxy size (by star) and shape, the age, the number of planets and various other factors. There's several races to choose from, each with their pro's and con's and habitable planet types...although no unique techs or ship types.

Cannot comment on the tech tree as it appears no different to the one I saw in the "no ai" version I played a year or 2 back.

In the few games I've played I'm not sure if the AI cheats, or just makes better decisions with the tech tree as it always seems to overwhelm me not only with ships, but clearly better tech ships, however aside from the possible difficulty and occasional performance issues (given the size and style of the game it should not be slow...) it is very much playable and worth a look.

Considering that I started tracking this in ~2005, I have given up hope that it will get finished. There was a massive dead time between then and now, but activity has picked back up again.

Well perhaps it never will, but the fact that SOMEONE is working on it is a good sign and there is definitely a an AI, multiplayer functionality, a decent tech tree (at least at the beginning) and a fairly workable ship design system.

It's far from complete, but certainly playable

Keep in mind that indies from this time period have a low completion percentage...Candlebre...cough, cough...

Keep in mind that indies from this time period have a low completion percentage...Candlebre...cough, cough...

I hoping you don't mean me. :)

No I meant indies from about 7-15 years ago. With mobile games and steam, indies have had a better time of it, lately.

Some of them are rolling projects that are still active, but do not necessarily show a lot of progress. FreeOrion is not a good example as whilst it is playable I don't find it much fun (but then I do have a problem with even commercial games of this type, the AI has a habit of flooding me with more ships than I am able to cope with...had the same problem with Space Empires 4 way back, there's me sitting there thinking I'm alright...until my sensor range shows the AI sending dozens of fleets at me each comprising of 200+ fairly powerful ships....eeek!).

The most succesful indie/remake projects I've seen recently has been Warzone 2100 and UFO AI. Warzone 2100 is a pur rebuild of the engine and tweaks to make it more efficient. the roadmap suggests that the true "Version 3" will be adding brand new stuff into the game...which is where the project has slowed down.

UFO AI seems to take a different approach, they have a very playable game that is fairly fun to play through and then tweak it further and add new stuff in their development version and only make a public release once they are happy it's reached an appropriate point, and the public release tends to be once a year, maybe twice at best, but the development updates are montly and pretty public to view what they've been working on (as in it's on the front page of their website)

The people behind freeorion have release another update, and a fairly significant one by the looks of it. Cannot play-test it anytime soon however :-(

number of supported star systems has increased to 5000 (although they admit to not go above the 100s otherwise things get a bit unstable)

The AI has been improved

You now get more detailed combat reports (definately a good addition this as there were no reports in the previous version)

and that's to name but 3 out of a much large changelog....looks like someone on the dev end has regained their interest in this game as it's been pretty quiet aside from minor updates for a while