Nikolai

Europa Universalis IV - Shaping up fine

464 posts in this topic

I like all three games.  And two of them have new stuff coming out.  So I want to play one of those.  But I guarantee I'll be back in EU4 at some point again. :)

Good luck in your Kongo run.

Agree...Been waiting to try Stellaris again.  will have to wait until I get back from Vaca.

How is the new Kongo run going?

So far so good.  Been on vacation for the last week in the DR, just got back today, can't remember where I left off.

So here is the update now that I have had a chance to go in-game.

1606, Mali, Katsina, Malindi., and (yes) Clanricarde as vassals.  One military tech behind the Euros.  Big France, Otto blob still yet to deal with.  France got a PU over Portugal, so that is the current PITA.  Trying to take as much TC as possible at the moment w/o the TC regionals forming a coalition.

KgKRUGI.png

Looks like things are going pretty decently though.  In my game Super-Spain was the big bad for much of my time, though the Mughals were annoying near the end too, a bit more than the Ottomans, who were my friends until the late game.  Looks like France and the Ottomans will be your big bads.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:43 PM, Spaced Cowboy said:

France got a PU over Portugal

Spain must be thrilled

Well I am not.  Rather have Super Spain than Super France.  They get too many bonuses to combat as the game goes on and I don't get many.  Going to focus on building my economy via TCs rather than continuing to expand in Africa.  Morocco is allied to the Ottoblob and Yemen is in a hugfest with the Mamluks, Dawasir, and Fars.

I need to recover some manpower before I go for Yemen.

Also TIL, that I should stop taking so much territory in wars not due to AE, but due to wasting so much bird mana (no claims).  Thank you Reddit.

Edit, Spain is allied with England. :(

Edited by Spaced Cowboy

Ottoblob weakened the Mamluks, so I can go for Yemen pretty soon (manpower still an issue, I'm almost always at war).  Been working on grabbing as much India and Indonesia as I can before everyone else joins the party.  Still have not got another merchant yet.  I need to take a break from this region anyway, AE is getting high, currently managing with rolling truces.

Only 1615, so not worried about time ATM.

Edited by Spaced Cowboy

I seems to have to keep on quitting to restart to get rid of little bugs.  Last time was a fleet that I sieged out of a province to face my main fleet (to try to capture some ships), but they just were stuck in a loop of coming out and going back.  a reload fixed it.  Just quit for something similar, army can't cross a straight even though I control the sea zone.

I've seen the enemy fleet is stuck bug a few times before.  Haven't seen the other one though.

It was in the Philippines, but a reload fixed it.  Took a little too much territory in the last war and a coalition formed.  Luckily, I was fabricating a claim on one of them and declared on him and pulled in the other three that joined.  They are no match for me and it should stop others that were on the ledge ready to jump in.

I'd post a new map, but I have not taken any territory in Africa.  On the plus side, Morocco is now w/o allies; going to colonize the desert patch between them and what used to be Timbuktu to fabricate a claim and start my push in NE Africa as well.

I had a much worse time with that area.  Portugal, who was my ally, conquered all of Morocco, which meant I had to eventually abandon the alliance to take it all back.  Worse, they were allied with France who was my other long-term ally, which meant it cost me both of my alliances.  I waited to grab that area until near the last part of my game because of that.

Morocco is now allied with a Big Austria, who is not leader of the HRE.  Austria is in a big war with France and winning.  But their loans and war exhaustion are just a few points away from them declining the call to war.  :(

Meanwhile, since France is getting owned, i can declare on their allies and they will not come.

Sigh, I had to give up the run as I got into coalition trouble.  That is what I get for playing when I've had a few beers. :(  Took too much land in Malacca and got Ottomans and Vijayanagar in the group 4-1 odds, not good.

I started again with an "optimal" strategy.

1. No CB Makua (they were only allied to Timbuktu), and vassalize them.

2. From the beginning of the game, improve relations with Kilwa.  Ally them and royal marry them.  If you are lucky, they will knowledge share Feudalism with you (they did).

3. Dev rush Renaissance and get exploration to find the new world, drop an explorer off to see the land.  I got the Colonialism spawn.

4. For now I have the tech advantage.

Been tough as I have been trashing rulers and heirs with low stats and have not had much luck with new ones (2-0-1 anyone...no, I bet).  Last few years the RNG Jesus has favored me (finally) and I have a 5-6-2 ruler and a 4-3-3 heir.  I'm okay with above average.

Its 1523 and I am pressing east and west.  I just saw super France again.  PU on Castile from 1455, sigh.  At least it looks like Castile did not take Exploration or Expansion ideas.

Risked a war against France/Castile for colonies.  I had the tech advantage.  I was able to grab all of (3) Castile's colonies in East Africa.  Had to wait for a long war to get it.  Had to settle since no points were moving (warscore) I maxed it out for now.

Thanks.  TIL that the Euros are not going to do much about landing troops.  I stack-wiped a retreated French stack in the last war and think i will declare on Portugal/England next.  I suspect the same will apply.  I will occupy the war goal and wait out the "length of war."

Rhoth, were you on vacay or something.  You seemed out of touch.

I was camping for a week plus at the beginning of the month.  Now I'm just out of touch as per normal, instead of out of touch because of vacation.

Still plugging along.  euros are not much of a problem at the moment.  I should post a screenie when I get a minute.

Edited by Spaced Cowboy
Spelling

Yep.  Screenshots! :cool:

Hmm...  I had to throttle my steam client downloads to 3mb per second else my pc would lag horribly.   I know, I owe Screenies.