Beta

[Pitboss] The Med - Re-Start

282 posts in this topic

carrierbelow.jpg

This is the thread for The Med pitboss game after the Big Artemis Eclipse.

This is a 12 player game involving 'classic/mediterranean' civs.

1. Egypt

2. Rome

3. Greece

4. Persia (but not Darius - see below)

5. Sumeria

6. Arabia

7. Babylon

8. Celts

9. Byzantium

10. Holy Roman Empire

11.Spain

12.Ottomans.

Note that Carthage is not included.

SETTINGS

Game name: The Med

No tech trading.

No huts.

No random events.

Barbs - normal.

Map - Inland sea. Huge. High water level.

Difficulty level - Monarch.

24 hr per turn.

Everything else normal/ as is.

UPDATED PLAYER LIST

Arabia - Vexatious - Saladin

Rome - Beta - Julius Caesar

Celts - Skirnir - Brennus

Persia - Arnelos - Cyrus

Byzantium - dratboy - Justinian I

Greece - Zoid - Alexander

Sumeria - fed1943 - Gilgamesh

Egypt - 2metraninja - Ramesses II

Spain - Yuck - Isabella

Holy Roman Empire - Blackflag - Charlemagne

Ottomans - E_T - Suleiman

Babylon - dick76 - Hammurabi

IP ADDRESS

wpchost2.dyndns.org:2057

There is no password for the game.

CIVSTATS

http://www.civstats.com/viewgame.php?gameid=2447

Edited by Beta

The game is now up and running.

It is turn 108. 175BC

New players' civs have been kicked to the AI. Please join the game, claim that civ, and enter a password for your civ.

There are a full 35 hours on the turn timer as of start up. All civs to play.

Edited by Beta

For the new players to note - the game was set up with no tech trading allowed. But the list of Med civs was also tailored somewhat to exclude any financial civ, and thus try to even the playing field regarding research.

Vex is on and I can't connect...

So stop trying? And let me finish without the constant pop-ups? There are people on occasion who I have this issue with, for some reason I have yet to determine, believe me I have tried everything to figure it out. Once I know who the few are I check civstats before logging in to make sure they aren't on and I politely wait for them to finish. I would appreciate others doing the same for me.

And if someone has experienced this issue before and has developed a fix for it, please fill me in. I have opened everything thing known to man on my router, my firewall, my anti-virus, etc. What I know for certain is that in a previous game, I had the problem with three people. In one case, we managed to figure it out and, lo and behold, it was a setting on their router, not mine. The other two people simply couldn't access their settings because I'm guessing they didn't quite know how.

I'm not saying that is the case here, but unless I hear something new that I haven't already tried, I'm going to assume the setting problem is not on my end. And in the meantime, it is what it is, please try to be polite about it and stop spamming the connection while I am on. I generally don't take more than 20 minutes to do my turn anyway and if someone really needs on (because the timer is about to run out and they need to do their turn), then please, feel free to try to connect so I see the pop-ip and then I will log off to let you in.

My apologies if my tone is a little annoyed in this message but I am taking over a Civ here and needed extra time to review everything. I understand you're at war ET and are equally eager to log in, but man, was that really necessary? I know I clicked to close that "incoming player unable to connect" button like 30 times!!! :lol:

Also note... and for a game with "normal" barbarians, there seem to be an awful lot of them - likely due to all of the empty space between civs.

Vexatious .. I know where you are coming from. It has happened to me before as well.

And I agree with your proposed work-around. The turn timer is plenty long enough for everyone to have time to log in and play.

I don't think E_T was really upset. Hell, he's typically the guy who's on for hours at a time when I want to log on and it won't let me connect to him. :p

I do generally try to do my turns early in the timer simply to avoid this issue. So far in Europa, I know that the problem exists with Yuck and Calanthian but I haven't experienced it with anyone else there yet. Hopefully there aren't more. And now I'm aware the issue exists with E_T in this game. I find it a frustrating thing. :( I've spent countless hours on numerous occasions to try and figure out the cause. I was delving into issues I'm not even remotely familiar with (like ipv6 vs 4, peer settings in Windows XP/Vista/7, googled and studied tons of things), tried dozens of changes in an attempt to figure out if the problem does in fact lie on my end. No success. :o

I have a suspicion it has something to do with wireless connections though. I use fixed wireless internet (because I live in the boonies and it's the only option available) and I suspect there is some obscure setting somewhere, whether it's in the operating system or perhaps even with the ISP, that prevents certain peer connections as a result. But I just don't know...

Anyway, apologies for de-railing the thread. Back to the game! :b:

thread topics are loose here, you can go OT and someday, still make it back to the topic and no one bats an eye at it, so don't worry...

But I just don't know...

Have you tried turning your computer off ... and then turning it back on?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Edited by dratboy

Have you tried turning your computer off ... and then turning it back on?

:sadnod: That doesn't work either... Actually leaving it turned off solves the problem entirely, but then what would I do for fun???

Actually leaving it turned off solves the problem entirely, but then what would I do for fun???

Don't answer that. ;)

:lol:

Hey. Its New Brunswick and the boonies. You know better than we do. :cute:

Vexatious,

I have the same problem logging in when you're on as I do when E_T is on, so I guess you could add me to that list. I've yet to have the same issue with anyone else.

When I tried to log into the game gives me the following inscription failed to join betahost.dnsdojo.com: 2057

anyone have any idea why this happens.

When I tried to log into the game gives me the following inscription failed to join betahost.dnsdojo.com: 2057

anyone have any idea why this happens.

I got that as well, remove the port number and try to connect. If it says "connecting to host" abort and put the port number back again. It worked for me...

Holy sweet mother of all that is good and blessed on the planet and thoughout the Universe!!!!! I have determined the source of the problem and fixed it!!!!! :lol::D:lol:

After much digging I came to discover that my fixed wireless internet provider has a second NAT on top of the one in my wireless router and for a measly $9.99 per month I can get a static IP from them. So I didn't even hesitate. Damn, I'd have paid more! (I didn't tell them that though...)

So assuming I set-up my Linksys router properly just now, I shouldn't have any connection issues when trying to connect peer-to-peer.

So, please, if any of you are still unable to connect to me while I'm on, please PM me so I can fiddle with my router settings just in case I still have something wrong there. But according to the technician I spoke with, the problem should be completely fixed by the Static IP address.

:cheers:

Played my turn.

New turn is up.

Good to see you are back, Daniel!

Holy sweet mother of all that is good and blessed on the planet and thoughout the Universe!!!!! I have determined the source of the problem and fixed it!!!!! :lol::D:lol:

After much digging I came to discover that my fixed wireless internet provider has a second NAT on top of the one in my wireless router and for a measly $9.99 per month I can get a static IP from them. So I didn't even hesitate. Damn, I'd have paid more! (I didn't tell them that though...)

So assuming I set-up my Linksys router properly just now, I shouldn't have any connection issues when trying to connect peer-to-peer.

So, please, if any of you are still unable to connect to me while I'm on, please PM me so I can fiddle with my router settings just in case I still have something wrong there. But according to the technician I spoke with, the problem should be completely fixed by the Static IP address.

All is good when ends good :rockon:

Holy sweet mother of all that is good and blessed on the planet and thoughout the Universe!!!!!

:lol:

After much digging I came to discover that my fixed wireless internet provider has a second NAT on top of the one in my wireless router

The rest I understand, but can you give me an English translation on this please.

And why would a static IP addy solve the issue??? That is not clear to me.

Indeed! :cheers: and congrats!