Rhoth

Forum D&D game forming now....join us!

212 posts in this topic

Greetings all.

Arnelos and I have been talking about getting a forum Dungeons and Dragons game going. It has been a while since WPC has hosted one and we think it could be a lot of fun. We already have one game master (me), a couple of confirmed players in Arnelos and Biskit, and at least two to three interested parties so far. We’d love to have more people join us.

For those who have never played Dungeons and Dragons before, it is a little bit like improv. acting. You have a character that you control, similar to a video game in that you design the character yourself. Unlike video games though you can design their personality and how they react to situations that arise during the game. For newbies I can help you design your character and explain the various stats that go into it, as well as give a few ideas for character history and personality. You don’t have to be perfect or know all the rules right off the bat.

For those who have never played a forum D&D game before, the basics of it are that I as game master will post a bit of information and then the players will post their reactions to it, or start a discussion with each other. Combats will be handled by me posting a picture of a battle map with player and monster locations every turn, etc., then asking what the players plan to do.

Basically I would ask that the players check the forum at least once per day to see if there is something new, and then spend a couple minutes posting what their character will be doing, etc. You can spend more time of course, but if everyone checks every day then we can move along at a fairly brisk pace. It won’t be as fast as a regular game, but most of us don’t have the ability to put large chunks of time together all at the same time, especially if we get some New Zealanders and Europeans playing too.

I will be asking the powers that be for a separate subforum and start placing some background information about the game world I will be using etc.

My intent is to run something of a darker and grittier game than a “standard” Tolkein fantasy game. Think PG-13 verging on R if it were a movie. In the past I have run high-fantasy games, and both Arnelos and I would like to play a gritty game, somewhat lower magic so that magic is special and not “let’s go trade in our items for new ones at the local Magic-Mart”.

To that end I am also intending to try to limit the amount of mechanics talk in-game. In a normal game you see the various die rolls during combat and tell the GM how many hit points of damage you do to your opponent, or see your skill roll. For the most part I will be rolling all of the rolls. You will have to trust that I won’t mess around with you just for GM fun. ;) Basically though I will be posting descriptive posts, and then break out the mechanics of what happened later in the post, probably in a different color, etc.

With the lessened emphasis on mechanics that would hopefully mean I can give a greater emphasis on environment and feelings, something necessary for a grittier game.

Sooooo…the big question is…anyone else interested in playing with us? :D

Rhoth

Groups:

Group 1 (5): Argroww (Wolvian monk), OzzyKP (human paladin), Spaced Cowboy (sain'dra wizard), Arnelos (human rogue), Big Dork (dwarven cleric), Donald23 (half-elf ranger)

Group 2 (6): Zkribbler (dwarven barbarian), Alexander (Aasimar paladin), Skirnir (bard), Biskit (rogue), SloJo (cleric), Da Xiongmao (lucavi monk)

Maybe down the road:

Penry

Femme

ZargonX

Alternate:

Godking

Edited by Rhoth

:b: I wouldn't be too big of a dork if I passed up some D&D.

I played several computer D&D games (BGs, NWNs) and from my Skyrim playing (700+ hours now) you probably know, that I'm a roleplayer. I never played in a forum game though. Even if it's every day, I imagine it will be painfully slow. Lower magic is perfectly fine btw.

I'm not quite sure yet if I join, perhaps I will, but at the very least I will follow it with interest.

:b:

Yeah it will probably be slow, but then again it will be consistent play every day (sort of like a 22 hr. turn timer Civ game on Pitboss). It won't be one game for three hours and then not game again for three months. So far we have interested parties from the US west coast, US east coast, New Zealand and Europe so there is no way we could all swing a time block to get together anyway.

700 hours on Skyrim? :eek:

I'll give it a go, depend upon how open character creation is, I like to play something non-human if possible (as in not a dwarf or elf but something a little more extreme), but if the rules of the game require something fairly standard, I'm still willing to at least try this. I've done plenty of free-form forum based RP (including hosting my own and creating a new race for another (www.worldarcane.com, look up the Wolvian race, it's mine), but never done it with stats and die rolls.

Which edition?

D'oh! Modified 3.5 edition. I have added my own houserules to certain parts of 3.5e over the years.

I'm not familiar with 3.5. I'm interested but please don't wait for me if I've not further responded by the time you're ready to go.

I'm not familiar with 3.5. I'm interested but please don't wait for me if I've not further responded by the time you're ready to go.

It won't be right away. The players need time to create their characters, and I need time to familiarize myself with the material I will be using.

Hey can the people who want to play post a general type of character you want to play. The 4 main archetypes are warrior, rogue, priest and mage, but there are many variants of each available. Warriors include fighter, barbarians, rangers, paladins, etc. I'll get into the variants when I start posting more info. I have a player's guide to my world that I will post various parts of once I get a forum.

Also as mentioned above, I'd like magic to be "special" so I won't be including the Tome of Battle classes, and I'd like there to be few wizards/priests.

My wife (Biskit) is interested in being a rogue or a ranger type.

Please note that while I want to limit mages/priests there is no limitation on the amount of warrior and rogue types.

Knowing more about the game setting would be rather helpful, but I'm likely to go for a rogue or ranger (likely a rogue).

True, and I will post some soon. I just wanted to get a forum first before posting my player's guide info so it didn't have to be moved over. Your not locked in to anything yet, I just wanted to get an idea of what people want.

Though I suppose it doesn't really matter if I post it now. It will just be an extra click or two for Penry, or whomever creates the new forum, to move it over. I'll start posting info tonight.

It won't be right away. The players need time to create their characters, and I need time to familiarize myself with the material I will be using.

Before committing, I want to establish some measure of the differences between 3.5 and NWN, which is pretty much my sole understanding of 3e mechanics. I have no idea how long that might take.

Before committing, I want to establish some measure of the differences between 3.5 and NWN, which is pretty much my sole understanding of 3e mechanics. I have no idea how long that might take.

The differences aren't enormous, but there are an awful lot of minor ones. If you've ever played NWN2, though, that game was far more closely matched to 3.5e rules.

NWN2 is 3.5, and there are quite some differences. For instance bards and rangers got quite a rework. Rangers aren't d10 anymore, only d8, but get some powerful perks either in the bow or in the dual wielding area. There are some feats too, Monkey Grip for instance. You can wield a twohander in one hand with a to-hit penalty. Dual wielding scythes anyone? (I don't like this feat)

I still have my 2.0 books.... but no time...

The differences aren't enormous, but there are an awful lot of minor ones. If you've ever played NWN2, though, that game was far more closely matched to 3.5e rules.

Never played the second one as I thought the publisher rushed it in order to make a quick buck.

Before I choose a class (or state that I'm in in the first place), I want to hear a bit more about how the low magic plays out, as it influences some hybrid classes, e.g. bards, which could end up pretty gimp.

I'm not making mechanics changes for low magic, except for the ones that I've already spelled out as my house rules. You can still play a bard or wizard or cleric as normal. I just want them to be rarer in this particular game.

Magic items will be rarer and there will be no convenient magic marts to purchase magic items (might be one or two around somewhere though ;)). Yes I know that I will need to modify my encounters accordingly since they are nominally balanced for a certain amount of magic.

I would be interested, but as I just got a job and am a 1st year teacher with this career change, won't have nearly the time to do it. Might work as an alternate some time or other, if someone is gone on vacation and I am available to fill in.

Never played the second one as I thought the publisher rushed it in order to make a quick buck.

It's not as smooth technically as the first game, but the storyline is certainly worth playing... especially the first expansion (Mask of the Betrayer).

I'd only recommend the original campaign and Mask of the Betrayer, though. The other expansions are pretty crappy by comparison.

No idea what version of D&D I played, back in the days. I remember that I started off with Basic D&D, then Expert D&D, then moved onto AD&D. At the peak of my playing time I had the hardcover Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, Monster Manual, Fiend Folio, Deities & Demigods etc....

We played the official adventures mostly, but also did our own campaigns when we had time.....

I'd certainly be interested, time may be an issue.....