Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Argroww

Desura

5 posts in this topic

Not really indie in a sense, but it is a "steam" designed for Indie games.....well it's now become a source of Civ 4 BTS mods, the makers of Caveman2Cosmos are now using it as a distribution point.....makes me wonder how many other popular modded games might go down the same path?

Edit: I'm behind the times as several more of the best known mods on Civ fanatics have also got their mods on Desura...

It's a decent system, certainly one of the good options for self-publishing indies (and mods etc). I've used it a few times to grab indie titles. I think overall i prefer GoG (just clearer/easier to use), but for a dev desura offers a whole lot more than GoG. Anyway it is a good DD system, no layering of the system as DRM(such as Steam does), and good for small indie/devs :)

It also offers plenty of free games, some of them quite decent too

That too :nod: Where it tries to be 'steam like', as in adding 'extra' utility stuff (games auto-updating etc, which i hate as some time a new patch can break a game, i prefer choice and control over patching) it does have the odd issue from time to time, and some people never get that stuff to work well, but simply as a non DRM DD system (like GoG, unlike Steam) for getting games/mods etc it is good enough at what it does. I'm happy to give it my money :b:

Desura are the same company who runs IndieDB and ModDB. The huge benefit here is it's no work for a team to publish a mod (in ModDB), go indie (IndieDB) and then publish it (Desura). It's literally as simple as ticking a box in one of the others to extend your game to another outlet.