Enjoy the new WePlayCiv theme!

Any feedback is welcome, just go to this topic: 

OzzyKP

Attack Site?

105 posts in this topic

I came by today and Firefox threw up a warning that this was an "attack site". It had a link to learn more, I followed it, and it presented no evidence of there being any problems with weplayciv, so.. that was strange. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yep. Just came upon this warning as well. :dunno:

For me as well. I'm consulting with Solver and Locutus about the next steps to take.

We have it noticed and are taking steps to counter it.

There is no evidence that something is wrong and there hasn't been for quite some months now. We just need Google to get rid of the warning :)

There is no evidence that something is wrong and there hasn't been for quite some months now. We just need Google to get rid of the warning :)

Donald, please check the Draft thread in the demogame forum. Fed reported an issue that might be related.

I got it as well, but followed up and couldn't find anything more either.

Chrome is throwing the error too.

The site's currently fine, there was an attempt to inject a malicious redirect for Error 404 pages, but security of the forums hasn't been breached since the November (was it?) hack. We're still awaiting confirmation from Google to get this warning sorted out - as Google's own diagnostic points out, there has been no malicious content in the last 3 months.

http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?client=Firefox&hl=en-US&site=http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/

I read this thread and was leaving to go to the OT when I got the ATTACK SITE thing in big letters with a red background, very scary. I would certainly move along if I went to a website with such a warning. Is there any way to find out who put this on WPC?

It's the Civ players. They're dangerous people. You turn your back on them and... BAM! Suddenly they're attacking you.

Yeah, getting this too.

Noscript isn't reporting any extraneous domains like when the forums got hacked. Very weird that google has you on the list even if nothing's been reported.

BTW, the front page was messed up (no formatting, presumably something happened to its CSS) for me until recently. Now it's fine. I'm using Firefox.

Here's Fed's post that GeoModder mentioned:

I know it's the wrong place, but

I can no longer access the site, that is, I can enter the site itself but when I try

"forums" I get some strange "ginger.uk" and as text "wrong country".

I arrived here from a civfanatics link.

Can someone please help me and email me what I must do?

Still got the popup when following my bookmark. But there's more info when you follow the google info tab on the warning. Something like IP 176/10 and a few sites which were supposedly infected from here. VisaToVietnam seems one of them. Rob? :cute:

Not seen any of this myself, although i do browse game sites through a trusted proxy and have a whole range of browser security running (the virus i got from QT3 a few years back forced a change of habit). But keep us all updated on what is found out.

I have read reports that over recent years script-kiddies have increasingly been targeting game related forums and websites, as they are meant to be a good place to start learning your hacking trade etc. A sign of the times, but sure having a negative report on goolge for outdated/incorrect safety info is not good for the site in terms of new visitors etc.

I got the warning too.

Kind of worried me there for a moment, but my PC is likely borked anyway (5 year old XP install).

I got it here and at 2 other sites I regularly visit.

First I thought there must have been some massive virus attack. Then this morning I did some research and discovered that it is something Google did on their end (in how they are reporting things now).

We're currently waiting for Google's bots to visit the site again as part of their routine crawling, that should result in removal of the big warning. As far as I understand, they visit daily, so it should be within the next 12 hours.

Not seen any warnings here and Norton says its safe to me.

I think Google's cleared it, Firefox is no longer bugging me when I visit the main forums page.

Edit: Spoke too soon. I guess it just goes away when you've been browsing in one session long enough.

Edited by Kloreep

Solver and donald are working on getting rid of the attack site message.

I've been getting it for what seems like days and this time clicked the go-anyway link or whatever it's called.

Just upgraded the forum to the latest version, fixing a file upload vulnerability, and waiting for Google to remove the warning.

site was a blank page a hour ago

nm Solver posted after me.