BigDork

BigDork's Random Thread of Randomness

2,690 posts in this topic

My iPhone is dead! :cry:

I was out running this morning when I got caught in a thunderstorm. Rain got in my phone and now it won't turn on. I have it buried in rice in the slight hope that will help. My worry is that at first, not realizing that my phone had a bunch of water in it, I plugged it in and it turned on for a few moments. I'm hoping I didn't fry the circuitry.

I have insurance so I'm not too concerned about the phone. But I have a drive full of non-backed up LilNerd pictures that I really, really don't want to lose.

50% of the time, if you do it early, you can connect the phone to a computer and use it as a USB drive even if the rest of the phone is dead.

Fingers crossed.

I'm gonna leave the phone in rice for a couple days and see if that works (I'm skeptical). If not, this weekend I'll try to get a replacement.

I'm now developing a new appreciation for the iPad my wife got me. Without my phone I have a 7 year old iPod to listen to my podcasts and the iPad for everything else.

You're not using iCloud to backup your photos? You should.

I'm using OneDrive to store my photos off my Samsung S6. That way if my phone dies, my photos don't. :)

I knew I should and lesson learned. Just like I really should stop relying on my 10+ year old external HD as my sole backup device.

So I'm 3 weeks out from my vasectomy and getting rather nervous.

Remember to take some ice packs with you.

Apart from that, it's no problem at all. A tiny cut in the sack and two snips. A bit of bruising and numbness for a couple of days.

Oh, wear loose boxers, not jocks. :)

Thanks for the advice Dale!

I'm hoping the heal time is fast. I have my Physical Training test in September so I can't take too much time off from running. I know I'll have to take a few days off and I'm looking forward to the doctor ordered lazy weekend of video games but I need to be back on the treadmill as soon as I can be.

Proof weather forecasts are useless...

Two days ago, Friday was gonna be 73 degrees with 90% chance of rain. Yesterday it was 75 degrees and 90% chance of rain. Today, it's 79 degrees with a 40% chance. So much for my enjoyably cool and rainy Friday.

Holy crap has it been a busy day at work. And I'm working late. I thought Fridays were supposed to be relaxing.

After 5 months of it sitting in the box on my computer room floor I finished my desk. My computer room actually feels like it's coming together. 

After 5 months of it sitting in the box on my computer room floor I finished my desk. My computer room actually feels like it's coming together. 

Heard that, I completely rebuild my PC into a smaller case so that it would fit into my new desk in the study and I would not have a monstrous PC case sitting on my awesome desk.

http://www.hemispheres-us.com/department/home-office-furniture

Allegro home office L-shaped.

Woo! Just finished running 10.76 miles. Longest run I've done in months. Feels great to be actually doing some distance again. Now to just lose this pesky 15 pounds I've gained.

My car was stolen monday/tuesday night :(

I liked my car, it was only 6 months old. Thankfully it was a lease with all the proper insurance, so it is not costing me much.

Apparently this is not uncommon in the city where we moved to since late last year. For me, it's the first time...also nobody in my social circle ever had their car stolen.

Was your car ever stolen?

Holy crap dude. That's nuts. No, I can honestly say my car has never been stolen. I hope that it isn't too much of a hassle and works out for you in the end.

I used to try to get my car stolen when I was living in Phoenix, Arizona but no one wanted to steal a piece of crap Saturn. I had a couple co-workers get their Hondas stolen though.

My brother in law had his old Mustang stolen a few years ago. He probably should have expected it though. At the time he was living in a less than desirable area of the city and he left it out on the street every night.

My niece and I playing Empire back in 1992:

August 1992.jpg

And me walking my niece down the aisle yesterday to giver her away in marriage:

23 years later.jpg

D

:)

That's so awesome. Congratulations to her and to you.

I just spent two hours cleaning out my garage. I have a ton of stuff going to the recycling/trash, used the leaf blower to clean it out some, and played Tetris with the crap I'm keeping. It looks waaaaaaaaaaaaay better in it now and as a bonus I can actually walk through the entire thing and get in my house when needed.

My niece and I playing Empire back in 1992:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14081[/ATTACH]

And me walking my niece down the aisle yesterday to giver her away in marriage:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14082[/ATTACH]

That is an utterly cool pair of pictures!! :clap::clap:

I just spent two hours cleaning out my garage. I have a ton of stuff going to the recycling/trash...

Don't forget Goodwill. I took truckloads of stuff to them when I was getting ready to move here. They loved me. :nod:

I've got several bags of clothes and a box of books and DVDs in the van all set for drop off. :D