BigDork

BigDork's Random Thread of Randomness

2,690 posts in this topic

Recently saw the movies trailer for "A walk in the woods" by Bill Bryson, which is about a middle-aged man and an acquaintance hiking the 2,200 mile Appalachian Trail. A friend of mine lent me the book, which I finished reading today. Interesting story, and I recommend it as an enjoyable book. I do think sometime along that I'd like to do one of the sections of the trail, but in no shape or form do I want to hike the trail end to end.

D

Every time I hear about anyone "hiking the Appalachian Trail", the first thing that comes to mind is always...

"Hiking the Appalachian Trail"...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hiking+the+appalachian+trail&page=2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sanford_disappearance_and_extramarital_affair

For six days in June 2009, South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford's whereabouts were unknown and there was media coverage of what was described as his disappearance. Subsequently the Governor reappeared and reported that he had been in Buenos Aires, Argentina with a woman with whom he was having an extramarital affair.

During the six days of absence, one of the excuses offered by Sanford's spokesperson was that Sanford was hiking the Appalachian Trail.[1] As a result, "hiking the Appalachian Trail" or "hiking the Appalachians" became a euphemism in the English language.[2]

During the six days of absence, one of the excuses offered by Sanford's spokesperson was that Sanford was hiking the Appalachian Trail.[1] As a result, "hiking the Appalachian Trail" or "hiking the Appalachians" became a euphemism in the English language.

:lol: I don't think I will be mentioning this to the wife when I try and justify going hiking for a week's timeframe.

D

WOO!!!! So I found out a few days ago that I got what I volunteered for, 4 more years at Ft. Meade. I was trying so hard to stay in the area for family reasons and so it's a real relief that I got the job I needed.

I'm not 100% thrilled about staying in Maryland for another 4 years for a lot of reasons including I like moving to new places but right now, for the needs of my family, it's awesome I'm staying. Hopefully for my next assignment in 4 years we can move somewhere else... hopefully overseas.

:bounce: As a child, my family moved about every 15 months. So I am happy for you and moreso for your offspring. :nod:

I lived in the same house from 5 until I enlisted. But once I was in the military and started moving around I really got that wanderlust. I love going to new places and learning about it, learning the culture, things like that. I really miss living overseas the most. The US is great and all but it's such a big world and I want to explore it and experience it.

hello seems im banned from here at work as I cant get here so just came to say hello as I can only come here when at home which is usually when im playing civ lol

New Jurassic Park movie: Good acting. OK directing. Great special effects (CGI). Really really bad writing. Like, more than enough to take away from the good parts of the movie.

Looking forward to 'The Martian', with Matt Damon. October maybe...

The book is high up on my list of books to read. Now I have to either really get to it before the movie comes out or just say screw it and watch the movie

Hope the movie comes to Tagbilaran, not much chance of the book making it here.

Being young and going to Mars to set up a colony is sort of a fantasy for me. Usually with a couple of hot chicks...:cute: No really, if I were young and single I'd jump at the chance. Figure it would be a one way trip...but just think, April 15th would be just another day on another planet.

Not to mention the adventure...

Camping trip #2 is now in the books. This one was a little wet. A scene from the driveway during the monsoon which lasted all afternoon:

let it rain 1.jpg

And another - the flood is just beginning:

let it rain 2.jpg

And creeping closer to the tent:

let it rain 3.jpg

Had a dose of thunder as well, so I took a cruise around just to be safe. Did I mention it rained a little?

let it rain 4.jpg

Got distracted watching a doe visit her fawn, and then I looked down to realize I was surrounded by water!:

let it rain 5.jpg

And here is another view of where I was standing:

let it rain 6.jpg

A good use for my paddle, as it propped up the one low-lying area of my canopy, and it also made sure I knew where my paddle was in case I needed it!

let it rain 7.jpg

Friday was a complete wash, as it didn't stop raining till around 11pm. Fortunately the inside of my tent stayed dry.

While I was watching the rain come down, I noticed a deer on the far shore:

deer 1.jpg

Here is the deer swimming to the island on the right hand side of the screen:

deer 2.jpg

And here is the deer leaving the island about two hours later:

deer 3.jpg

I'm guessing she's got a fawn on the island she's was visiting - smart doe!

Continued in next post....

Here is the view from the shore Saturday morning:

Saturday morning 1.jpg

And a view of the campsite:

Saturday morning 2.jpg

And another shot of the shoreline:

Saturday morning 3.jpg

My family arrived Saturday morning (they didn't want to enjoy Friday evening with me for some reason), so we went and placed flowers on our ancestors' graves:

graveyeard.jpg

Its Saturday afternoon's like this why I go camping!

Saturday afternoon.jpg

Except for snakes - we don't like snakes, especially in our canoes!

Snake in canoe.jpg

And of course the obligatory sunset shots:

sunset.jpg

sunset 2.jpg

sunset 3.jpg

All in all an interesting trip. Personally I look at Friday as a) a bad day of camping is still better than a good day at work, and b) it was a good stress test of how well I can weatherproof my campsite.

D

Looks ace! I don't mind camping in the rain. As long as you got some dry wood and a dry tent you're fine.

It's always a wondrous day when Uno appears. :nod::b:

Well, I guess that new timeserver wasn't as plug-n-play as I was led to believe - all but one of my test system's processors went off into another timezone after reboot.......

D

So I'd noticed recently that my dog was favoring one leg, and then I found a mass in her armpit. Took her in to the vet today where they did a biopsy on the mass: their sending the biopsy in to a lab for further analysis, as the vet is "concerned" about the mass. The vet also said he found arthritis in the same leg, so he gave me some pain pills to give my dog until the results of the biopsy come back. I thought about that for a little while, and understand what it probably really means. :(

D

Sorry, but if its not then you can give your dog glucosamine condroitin (sp) and it should help the arthritis a lot.

Being young and going to Mars to set up a colony is sort of a fantasy for me.

Bah humbug. Just move to Antarctica. It's got warmer weather, more air, and more water. In comparison, it's a paradise. :cool:

An old co-worker is in town for a conference and I'm meeting up with him for dinner tonight. Yum to Indian food!

I had a great dinner, can't beat Indian food. Also it was great catching up with my co-worker. It really made me realize just how much I need to get out of my current job. Hopefully in a month or so I'll be switching to a different office. I'm looking forward to a fresh start even if it is still in the same command.