BigDork

BigDork's Random Thread of Randomness

2,690 posts in this topic

Day 2 of school being called off due to the cold. Today's high 2, low -19 (not including wind chill). Tomorrow being the same, perhaps 2-3 degrees warmer.

Sissies.;)

Speaking of being called off... MrsDork and I were hosting a Cards Against Humanity party tomorrow but Mother Nature has other plans. We're supposed to get 3-5 inches of snow that turns to an icy mix around midnight. Boo!

Still seeing forecasts of 2-5 inches from capitol weather gang from the post (which I'm coming to increasingly like as a local weather blog). How far north into Maryland are you, again?

I live in Severn. It's Anne Arundel county... about halfway between DC and Baltimore on 295.

Snow coming down pretty fiercely here near Dulles airport right now.

Yep, we're getting it good too up near BWI. I went on Ft Meade to get groceries and the place was a damn zoo. You'd think we were getting Boston levels of snow. I had to drive home on some crappy roads. Glad we cancelled our plans for tonight. Our friends don't need to be driving in this crap.

So Nadi has got it's very own movie theater! Yay!

We used to drive 30 - 40 mins to Lautoka.

The one in Nadi has all the bells and whistles, and big screens (not I-max - but big) and comfy seats etc etc.

So - what was the first movie we (the boys and I - the wife normally does not partake)?

Well - it was the youngests turn to pick so we got...........

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water - in 3D no less.

Longest hour and half of my life.

:lol:

Breath in the culture mate!

The discount store that was around the corner from my house closed.

The hardware store that was walking distance from my house closed.

The comic book store that was walking distance from my house had the roof cave in, and is now closed.

The chinese restaurant that was around the corner had the kitchen catch fire, and won't be reopening.

The grocery store that was 1 mile away closed, and is now a produce stand (but the produce there is nasty...)

The movie theater that was 1.5 miles away closed 'for renovation', but there has been no work trucks seen for the past 5 weeks, and their voice mail says they will be reopening May 1st (crossing fingers on this one)

My neighborhood is going to sh*t over the past 3-4 months!

I envy you. For us, it's an 1 1/2 drive to Tagbilaran, which has two cineplexes, both showing the same four films. Neither has a website, and so you can't be sure of the movies and/or the start times until you get there. Still, they're darn cheap--usually about $2 for a first-run movies, sometimes as much as $5 for a 3D. Do they crank up the air con there? Sometimes, the Phils set the air con to "subfreezing." :mad:

I'm getting sick. I'm not happy with this.

It's all that exercise you do mate. It's not good for you!

It's all that exercise you do mate. It's not good for you!

Agreed. Can't get sick when your blood is pure scotch/bourbon.

Northern Queensland is currently sandwiched between category 4 Lam and category 5 Marcia. Prayers go out to them.

I was in southern Queensland at the time (Gold Coast), and it wasn't as bad as predicted that far south of Marcia. There was concern that consecutive days might get up to 300mm of rain each, but the four days I was there combined didn't get that much.

I was in southern Queensland at the time (Gold Coast), and it wasn't as bad as predicted that far south of Marcia. There was concern that consecutive days might get up to 300mm of rain each, but the four days I was there combined didn't get that much.

Glad to hear PiMan. :b:

Glad you made it through okay Pi. :b:

The one in Nadi has all the bells and whistles, and big screens (not I-max - but big) and comfy seats etc etc.

So - what was the first movie we (the boys and I - the wife normally does not partake)?

Well - it was the youngests turn to pick so we got...........

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water - in 3D no less.

Longest hour and half of my life.

Longest hour and a half of mine was when I was a kid fighting another kid named Kenny. Its a long story. I grew up in New Jersey where violence among kids was not unusual. So I'm walking down my street towards my house in the twilight of early evening when a bunch of maybe 10 local kids come running at me. I figured I'd run too. So I take off away as fast as superior motivation carried me. I developed a plan of running clean around the block and so getting to home ahead of the pack. Like baseball with howling lunatic kids after you. The plan went to pieces about 3/4 way down to first. I looked back (Always look back) and there's Kenny on his bicycle passing the other kids. ****. So he gets me and that slows me down while the other kids come up and it turns ugly for Lancer. Time to go to plan B. As it happens there was no plan B, the gym teacher never covered this in baseball practice. So in the fading light I ran past first, across the next street, past a big bush and doubling back quick I dove under it. It gave be a bushy view back at my pursuers. Kenny dropped his bike at the curb in front of me and ran around the bush looking for me, assuming I'd kept going. The other kids came up and past and they were calling to each other. So I broke fast from the bush and grabbed Kenny's bike and peddled the metal fast as I could as they were really pissed now and for a few seconds catching me up. Then however the speed of the accelerating bike started putting some distance between us and I had to slow down. I was feeling free as a bird that just avoided the hawk, as free as I've ever felt riding that bike ahead of the now royally pissed mob. Second, third, there's home! So I sped up as home approached and dropped the bike at the curb and went inside. Done deal I thought. "Hi mom, hi dad." Off to my room to do homework. A little while later I heard a knock at the front door. Then my father calling me. "Did you steal this boy's bike?" "Well...yes." "Go outside" Nice thing about the situation is my father watched from the window so they couldn't pile on. I wrestled around with Kenny for a long time while my father called from the window, "hit him" but to whom he was talking I honestly don't know. We weren't what you'd call close. Not sure if the whole thing lasted an hour and a half but I can tell you one thing Nugog, I'd rather have been watching SpongeBob.

Edited by Lancer

Glad you made it through okay Pi. :b:

Longest hour and a half of mine was when I was a kid fighting another kid named Kenny. Its a long story. I grew up in New Jersey where violence among kids was not unusual. So I'm walking down my street towards my house in the twilight of early evening when a bunch of maybe 10 local kids come running at me. I figured I'd run too. So I take off away as fast as superior motivation carried me. I developed a plan of running clean around the block and so getting to home ahead of the pack. Like baseball with howling lunatic kids after you. The plan went to pieces about 3/4 way down to first. I looked back (Always look back) and there's Kenny on his bicycle passing the other kids. ****. So he gets me and that slows me down while the other kids come up and it turns ugly for Lancer. Time to go to plan B. As it happens there was no plan B, the gym teacher never covered this in baseball practice. So in the fading light I ran past first, across the next street, past a big bush and doubling back quick I dove under it. It gave be a bushy view back at my pursuers. Kenny dropped his bike at the curb in front of me and ran around the bush looking for me, assuming I'd kept going. The other kids came up and past and they were calling to each other. So I broke fast from the bush and grabbed Kenny's bike and peddled the metal fast as I could as they were really pissed now and for a few seconds catching me up. Then however the speed of the accelerating bike started putting some distance between us and I had to slow down. I was feeling free as a bird that just avoided the hawk, as free as I've ever felt riding that bike ahead of the now royally pissed mob. Second, third, there's home! So I sped up as home approached and dropped the bike at the curb and went inside. Done deal I thought. "Hi mom, hi dad." Off to my room to do homework. A little while later I heard a knock at the front door. Then my father calling me. "Did you steal this boy's bike?" "Well...yes." "Go outside" Nice thing about the situation is my father watched from the window so they couldn't pile on. I wrestled around with Kenny for a long time while my father called from the window, "hit him" but to whom he was talking I honestly don't know. We weren't what you'd call close. Not sure if the whole thing lasted an hour and a half but I can tell you one thing Nugog, I'd rather have been watching SpongeBob.

My dad's reaction: "You can all fight him, but it's gonna be one at a time."

Had the annual ski outing with some of my co-workers yesterday, this time to Gore Mountain in the Northern Adirondacks. Here's a pic of the gondola ride up:

Gondola ride.jpg

Here's a pic of an inviting Black Diamond run (not!):

Run away run away.jpg

Here's a pic of my cubemate trying to induce me to my death:

meatgore.JPG

Not too many more pics as my camera stopped working shortly afterwards - probably because its not designed to work in a windchill of -20F!

Other highlights:

- after about two hours I was getting my lift ticket scanned for the next run, and the woman grabs my arm and says "Your nose is white - better be careful about frostbite".

- one of my other co-workers did a fantastic faceplant. He had a nice shiner at work today.

- other than the frostbite warning I was comfortable all day, and had a real blast! :b:

D

Got a new match on the Adoption front. Looks like July I might be a daddy!

:b:

Fingers crossed! Congrats! :)