BigDork

BigDork's Random Thread of Randomness

2,690 posts in this topic

Your welcome. :)

Your cold air is courtesy of the Philippine supertyphoon Vongfong. It was born to the east of us, paralleled the Philippine coastline but, unlike supertyphoon Haiyan, kept out to sea. Nevertheless, IMHO, we got as much wind and rain from Vongfong as we did from Haiyan. It headed north, clobbered Taiwan and Japan, and it's now up in Alaska. Its energy is what's pumping all the cold air out of the Arctic regions, across Canada, and down into the U.S. :rockon:

Your cold air is courtesy of the Philippine supertyphoon Vongfong.... It headed north, clobbered Taiwan and Japan, and it's now up in Alaska. Its energy is what's pumping all the cold air out of the Arctic regions, across Canada, and down into the U.S. :rockon:

And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Usually this time of year temperatures in central New York are about 4-5C warmer than they currently are, which means that we get a lot of cold miserable rain. Now instead its snow, which means the local ski resorts have started making snow! :b:

D

:b:

Which resort do you usually go to D?

I was hoping for snow down here yesterday but it was just to the north of me. Still haven't seen any flakes yet. I can't wait!

OK, everybody sing along here!

"I'm dreaming of a White Thanksgiving

Just like the ones I used to know (when I lived on the Canadian border!)"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13920[/ATTACH]

Its been snowing here all day, with expected accumulations of a couple inches overnight.

And just think - I've only got 4 and a half more months of this to go! Yeah me!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13921[/ATTACH]

I remember having White Thanksgivings as a kid. Seems like the winters just aren't what they used to be. I'm coming up to Binghamton for Thanksgiving and I'm hopeful.

:b:

Which resort do you usually go to D?

Song Mountain in Tully. We were skiing on Black Friday (or should I say "White Friday") last year - hope to again this year.

We're getting pounded with snow right now. There was a 15 car pile-up just north of Syracuse earlier today because of the deluge.

D

I miss lake effect snow.

Today has been painfully slow but thankfully quiet. My bosses have been gone and I've been just relaxing. It's been a long time since I just sat at my desk all day and did nothing.

It's been 5 years since I got my laptop. Thankfully I spent a lot of money on it and got a powerful system that still manages to let me play games. However, I know it can't keep up with new games like Dragon Age Inquisition and I have doubts how well it can handle the new Combat Mission engine tweaks. I've spent the afternoon pricing out systems and now I just need to convince the wife that for Christmas I want a new computer/gaming laptop. That should go over well. ;)

No doubt she will be 100% behind BigDork's desire to play childish games rather than redecorating the baby's room. :b:

I miss lake effect snow.

Ask and Upstate New York will deliver (and then some!): just south of Buffalo they've already gotten more than 4ft of snow, and are expecting at least 2 feet more before the lake effect winds down. Here's a link to some pics:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/11/buffalo_snow_photos_video_lake_effect.html#incart_m-rpt-2

In one picture it looks lie a haboob bearing down on Buffalo. Only problem is that that ain't sand.....

D

Edited by Darsnan

Ya, friend of mine is in Michigan's UP near Lake Superior. 3.5 feet on the ground, expecting to hit 6 feet by Thanksgiving. Glad I am not getting that.

About a year ago now, I was invited to a closed Beta / Late Alpha test of EQ Landmark (and, at the time, they really hadn't split off EQ Next from Landmark, so it was very confusing, but I think I was invited for Next as well). When I downloaded and tried to start things up, I had the misfortune to realize that my computer was really sub-par. It wasn't top of the line when I built it back in 2007/8, and well, technology moved on. This caused me to end up declining the offer (which, really bummed me out).

So, ever since, I have been keeping my eyes open for the next computer. Surprisingly, prices for i7 processors and gforce 760+ graphics cards have not gone down substantially since I have been watching, January.

I am not a big techie follower, so I just don't get it. But, the computer I priced out in Feb would cost about $1500 (with software) and today would be $1440.

Last time I purchased a computer, the same bits I picked up for $1000 would only have cost $700 six months later, and $550 a year later, and 2 years later would have been on the bargain discount shelf if you could even find them.

Edited by godking

I've been following this even less than you have, but I've noticed a similar plateau... it's like the chipset industry just stopped innovating or something.

Could someone who has been following this closer comment?

The "chipset industry" is working hard but has run into some unavoidable hurdles; in particular, the size of an atom and the size at which quantum fluctuations become a real hassle.

...the size at which quantum fluctuations become a real hassle.

I hate it when that happens to me! :mad:

So no more doubling of computing power for a while. Game manufacturers are going to have to reign it in. They've been spoiled...

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification, PiMan. I had actually sort of wondered when computing power would start to hit a natural limit... at least until we harness the power of so-called "quantum computing" (assuming that's even possible). Even then, though, you have to wonder when we'll hit a natural limit it is no longer possible to bypass.

The "chipset industry" is working hard but has run into some unavoidable hurdles; in particular, the size of an atom and the size at which quantum fluctuations become a real hassle.

No excuse.

Based on my calculations it should be possible on the quantum level to hack the computers of the holographic universe and rip off a tidbit of their computing power until God catches on. :b:

On my way to see the Washington Caps and Buffalo Sabers game. I got a free ticket from a friend. Not gonna complain. And as usual I will be cheering for whoever is playing the Caps. Go Buffalo!

I've always been sceptical to dating sites. A year and a half ago, a good friend of mine told me I needed to get a girl and half forced me to register at a site. I tried to contact a few girls, got nothing back. I am not one to give up though, so I persisted. SPOILER: I still have no girl.;) But I've tried a couple other sites, without luck. This autumn, another friend of mine told me she met her soulmate on, of everything, Tinder. She insisted I registered. I did, and as I thought it's a shallow place. So I registered at another place, this time the biggest site in Norway. Found a few close matches, and contacted two, but so far no answer back. One has not logged in for three months though, so no surprise there. The other is a girl that popped up tonight. A girl I knew 5-6 years back. Then she was 17, so way too young in my eyes. Now, 22, perhaps. She's cute. I hope she answers my mail at least. Why is this dating business so darn hard...:doitnow!:

Saw an article a few months ago (maybe?) about a guy who applied machine learning (using bots with a bunch of slightly different fake profiles to collect the data) on OKCupid to learn which parts of his profiles were more likely to increase the probability of being searched, being read, and resulting in responses from women on the site.... as well as the common characteristics of women who would actually respond to any of his characteristics (and/or in whom he had any interest himself). Once he'd figured out what about him could generate interest, he ended up using that to go on dozens of brief dates per week to also learn what worked or didn't work on dates.

It was a pretty fascinating piece. I don't remember where I saw it, though. If you can find it, though, it's worth a read for a brief overview of some of his findings, though.

As for me, I was just starting to clumsily fumble around with considering the seemingly abysmal match rate of online dating sites as a data problem when I had the dumb blind luck to meet multiple mutually interested women in real life (one of them now my wife) in the course of a couple weeks in 2009.

As the saying goes, life is what happens while you're busy planning something else.

My niece recently got engaged, and when she arrived today she asked me to be the one to give her away at her wedding next year. Pretty proud Uncle right now. :)

Oh yeah, I also got my AARP application in the mail today, too. Yeah.....

D

That's awesome Dar (about the niece). Congratulations on being asked... Old Man. ;)

So yeah... someone messed up big time and my security clearance lapsed. It wasn't my fault at all, some random person somewhere in the bureaucracy dropped the ball. As a result I am no longer allowed in the building where I work and I've lost access to the classified networks where I do about 40% of my work. Since I hate my job this isn't necessarily a bad thing. I still have unclassified network access so I am still expected to do some work from our remote location but for the most part I'm here, my boss is there, and I can relax some. I hope this takes a while to resolve.