BigDork

BigDork's Random Thread of Randomness

2,690 posts in this topic

Two days into this and I'm still not eating. I just tried 6 oz of apple juice & the last 2 ounces were poured down the drain. :(

You are supposed to eat a little something before taking your meds. So, have you been taking them?

Out of the mists of the Interweb a familiar face reappears... :w00t:

:woohoo:

Welcome back mate!

I just broke a little.

A little flashback... 2008 in Iraq I performed over 30 "Patriot Duties", honoring fallen Soldiers, Airmen, and Marines as we sent them on their final flight home. As often as I could I would serve as pallbearer for these fallen souls. It affected me and changed me. It hurt every time I did it but I felt it was my duty to honor each of their sacrifices.

I came back from Iraq changed some. A bit more serious. A bit more fragile. For years the sight of a flag draped coffin would instantly bring me to tears. There was always a chance the news of another fallen American would break me down. But time heals all wounds or at least removes you from them.

Tonight I was stupid and courted disaster. Earlier tonight I was watching a few documentary type shows on National Geographic channel. The first was about combat rescue. Saving lives and stopping bad guys. At the end of the show the bad guy was stopped and a major attack thwarted. Then the second show started. Restrepo.

10 minutes in the first casualty happened. Restrepo. I've seen videos out of the wars before with casualties. IEDs and such. But the first hand accounts from his comrades and friends about him being hit... about him bleeding out in the chopper on the way to safety... it brought back all those memories and feelings of carrying those fallen souls.

I have the utmost respect for all those who have seen combat and have done what they have had to do over the past 13 years. I'm so fortunate in my military career that I have never had to see combat. I've dealt with rocket attacks but never anyone shooting directly at me. I've never lost a friend to combat. But I've still experienced the pain of it in a way.

I thought I was past the pain and the issues. Tonight proved that some of the trauma from Iraq lingures. And if I'm hurting with my small exposure... just what have so many others had to deal with?

I've never been there myself, but I watched it's effects on my father. We kids weren't allowed to ask about his experiences in the war; if he started talking about it, then okay, but we couldn't ask. In 1956, I was 7. He went on a hunting trip with his buddies. After one day, he came home. He could bear walking through trees carrying a rifle. When I was in college, he made friends with our Japanese-American gardener. It was the first person of Japanese descent who'd he been able to be friendly with. Soldiers heal, but it takes a long time.

:b: Good stuff D. :)

I've been dealing with a lingering bug for about a week and a half now. Army medicine is friggin' useless so at this point I'm just riding it out as best I can.

I went from a stomach bug to taking care of a sick baby to catching the cold the baby had. I have to keep telling people no, there is no Ebola in this house.

I really want to be healthy. Blah.

I can't catch ebola by posting in this thread can I?

:scared: I blame BigDork! ...and Obama!

I assume you mean the computer virus sort. Well, Obama wrote the virus, and BD I am sure put it on all the military servers. Commander in Chief and all that, you know. ;)

At least, that is what I heard.

:lol:

Yep, you guys figured out mine and Obama's master plan. Foiled again!

We did??!? Oh yes, we did!!! We're onto you guys now!

We'll throw Biden under the bus (it's what a VP is for) and move on with Plan B. Muwahahahahahahaha

Can I drive the bus? Can I? :excited:

The smiley I was looking for is among the disappeared. :dunno:

Anyway in reality I kinda like Biden so I might swerve.

Had another layoff at work today - just under 10% of the company let go. Our section got hit a little harder - 2 out of the 9 who were left were let go..... :(

D

And we just had our second layoff of the year, with another 12% chopped off. This time the focus was moreso on middle management. It also featured our second CEO of the year being shown the door.....

D

That sounds rough for the company but glad to hear you're still hanging on.

Remind me not to apply to be CEO there. ;)

OK, everybody sing along here!

"I'm dreaming of a White Thanksgiving

Just like the ones I used to know (when I lived on the Canadian border!)"

Let it snow let it snow let it snow.jpg

Its been snowing here all day, with expected accumulations of a couple inches overnight.

And just think - I've only got 4 and a half more months of this to go! Yeah me!

Snow snow snow snow snow snow snow.jpg