BigDork

BigDork's Random Thread of Randomness

2,690 posts in this topic

And the third camping trip of the season is now in the books. This one centered around my son, as he had college orientation just up the road (17 miles) from camp. So I dropped him and his bike off at orientation on Wednesday, then when he was done with orientation on Thursday he biked the 17 miles down to camp, and we met there.

This was a real last-minute affair, so there were only two sites available for Thursday and Friday. I took the one which wasn't right next to a bathroom:

A13.jpg

The site was on a slope, so everything was tilted. Nice view, though! :b:

You ever get the feeling your being watched?

Whats in the box.jpg

The chipmunk was really tame.

Tame chipmunk.jpg

We ended up getting invited to my cousins' camp downriver and we spent the evening there watching people launch fireworks for about an hour - probably one of the better fireworks shows I've ever seen! :b:

D

I took the one which wasn't right next to a bathroom:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13881[/ATTACH]

Missed out on a smelly affair? ;)

Are campsites in your area that crowded during summer there's a need to make a reservation?

Missed out on a smelly affair? ;)

That and the doors slamming all night long (and the accompanying grunts and groans).

Are campsites in your area that crowded during summer there's a need to make a reservation?

Unfortunately yes. It used to be that I could show up and get my pick of some good sites. However the East Coasters have discovered the northern Adirondacks, and now every weekend the state parks are pretty much all sold out. Its even worse for the locals who own camps, as the East Coasters have no problems ponying up $500k for a mcmansion on the river. This then drives up property taxes for everyone, which the locals can't afford, and they are forced to sell. Sure they make a good profit, but their giving up places that have been in families for generations.

D

...I really don't know if its meant to be seriously or not? I know as a "pinko commie European" I have a different perspective but really?

Ann Coulter is bat-guano crazy. She'll say anything to get attention.

Ann Coulter is bat-guano crazy. She'll say anything to get attention.

I only read a few bits of it, but its hilarious. :lol:

She believes what she says, albeit perhaps in a slightly less exaggerated form.

She also apparently combines unrelated grievances in some sort of bizarre irrational connection. Because really, what does the metric system have to do with soccer?

... what does the metric system have to do with soccer?

The answer is: logic.

Metric system makes perfect sense. Imperial system is looney. [How many cups in a hogshead?]

World football involves both feet and balls. US football involves brutes smashing into each other.

So I used to work in Technical Marketing, and I always used to tell people that one of the prerequisites for working in Marketing was that you had to sell your soul, and here was the picture for proof!

H2.jpg

Things are crazy busy and I feel like I have zero time. But I do wanna try and stop in more. Hopefully I can. August just may be a bit friendlier to me than July.

Hope everyone is good. :)

We're all good here. Lancer's son had the chicken pox and his sister-in-law was in the hospital with some kind of intestinal problem, but I believe they're both well now.

All good BD. Just busier than normal. :)

Woo-hoo - we're #1! :beer::woohoo::cheers::beer::hippie::barf:

Syracuse (WSYR-TV) – Shortly after being labeled as the nation’s top party school, officials at Syracuse University posted a statement expressing their disappointment on Monday.

The Princeton Review launched the annual results of its college survey that asks students to address their experiences at their schools.

SU took over the survey’s top spot for party schools.

Nearby Colgate University was selected as the “Most Beautiful Campus.”

“We are disappointed with the Princeton Review ranking, which is based on a two-year-old survey of a very small portion of our student body,” SU officials said in their statement. “We do not aspire to be a party school.”

Things are crazy busy and I feel like I have zero time. But I do wanna try and stop in more. Hopefully I can. August just may be a bit friendlier to me than July.

Hope everyone is good. :)

I'm alive! Still married and close to achieving a domination victory in Civ5 :)

I'm alive! Still married and close to achieving a domination victory in Civ5 :)

:chili: You got de powwa!! :carrot:

Interesting day. :idiot:

Edited by Lancer

We got Vic signed up for Social Security, PhilHealth and something else whose name I can never remember. It only took three trips to Tabilaran to do it. Geeze, I love bureaucracies. :wall: We had a bit of luck yesterday. We correctly figure Thursdays as slow days, plus it was raining. We waltzed into the notoriously busy Social Security Service and walked right up to the lady at the counter. :faint: Things went wonderfully until their computers crashed.

Coolest happening of the day. We bought a couple of Cokes at the snack shop outside of PhilHealth. The check was P24 [about $.50]. I gave the guy a pair of P20's and told him to keep the change. He was so shocked and happy, you'd have thought he'd won the lotto. Proof once again that money can buy happiness. :D

Last camping trip of the season is now in the books. Had a wonderful time the first two nights on a water site. Here are a couple shots of the sunrise:

Glorious sunrise 2.jpg

Glorious sunrise.jpg

Here's a shot from the "Black Lagoon", which the locals trick out every year:

Black Lagoon 2.jpg

Here's my dog enjoying the view during one of our sojourns around the camp:

Enjoying the view.jpg

Here's my dog chasing a rabbit:

Wabbit season.jpg

And of the dog at the old beach:

Stella at the beach.jpg

Here's a pic of the dog after a long day filled with walks, swims, and chasing critters:

Dog tired.jpg

We got some rain while I was up to camp. Here's a pic of a collapsed picnic table tent:

Collapsed tent.jpg

And now its time to rant. We only had reservations for the waterfront site for two nights, then I had to move to one of my personal favorite sites for the other two nights, which is out in the middle of nowhere. Usually when I get onto a site I do a little police call and clean up the site, however this time whoever was on the site before me had left his calling cards all over the place, as I must've picked up 30 cigarette butts from around the campsite:

Cigarette butts.jpg

YOU HAD A FIREPLACE RIGHT THERE, MORON! :doitnow!:

How hard could it have been for this chain-smoker to toss his butts into the fireplace!?! :mad:

Anyways, it was another great trip, and the wife (who was up for the first two nights) has given me marching orders to get us a waterfront site again next year. Considering I've only managed to get waterfront sites four times in the forty I've been camping there, that's a pretty tall order! :scared:

D

My favorite ukulele-playin' songwriter disappeared from YouTube for awhile. But I just found her on Patreon. :D

http://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=266355

Edit: Oops, the magic of the internet changed my video of "My Hope" into a link to "The Year of the Beard." --Both good songs.

Here's Molly Lewis singing "My Hope:"

[video=youtube;avxpn_MsPYs]

Edited by Zkribbler

[video=youtube_share;_m4DDkMfol0]

I like this one (and I like it more than the original).

When I was in high school, I was taught that Shakespeare wrote in iambic pentameter--not just his sonnets, which by definition must be in iambic pentameter--but his plays as well. This confused me because, you know, they aren't. :nono:

So this morning, for an intellectual romp, I'm trying to re-draft Hamlet's "to be or not to be" speech into iambic pentameter. Man, this is HARD! :sadnod:

It's 3pm...workplace is practically deserted. Three people remaining in a conference room...all other 30+ workplaces here, all of them in a big open office, are empty.

So one of the test events I am currently overseeing is a Site verification test. In San Francisco.

A preliminary 6.0-magnitude earthquake hit the northern San Francisco Bay area early Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The quake struck six miles southwest of Napa and nine miles from Sonoma, according to the USGS.

There were no immediate reports of injuries

I texted the guy on site and the team is OK. Should be interesting to see how the system their working on rode out the quake.

Part of the test verification requirements for this system are Seismic related. We had written an analysis report addressing them and stating that theoretically the system is designed to withstand an earthquake. I guess we can now remove the "theoretical" part.

D