BigDork

BigDork's Random Thread of Randomness

2,690 posts in this topic

I think its peaked. We are supposed to have a howling sou-easter come through this evening for a 20 degree drop.

Screenshot_20180106-155359.png

A plague on both their houses frankly (even though I'm not directly impacted by the shutdown) - there is no trust between all parties right now - everyone is suspicious of what the others are doing behind their back :( .

Had our annual company ski outing to Gore Mountain ski resort in the Adirondacks this past week - couldn't have asked for better conditions!

Here I am at the beginning of the day looking pretty chipper:

IMG_6955.JPG

"What? Black Diamond? Nah, this is an easy run!" Yeah, 3 falls later I took my skis off and hiked down the last quarter of that trail!

IMG_6957.JPG

And coming around curve 2 the snowboarders take a tumble!

IMG_6958.JPG

Our novices wanted to see what a Double Black Diamond run looked like, then they prudently retreated from the lip of that precipice!

IMG_6961.JPG

And another snowboarder bites it!

IMG_6975.JPG

That one deserves a closeup!

IMG_6975b.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous views all day long!

IMG_6971.JPG

IMG_6979.JPG

One of the snowboarders sporting his Gore facial massage (aka the snow in his beard):

IMG_6980.JPG

The gang all geared up (I'm the one doing the Slenderman impersonation in the back row):

The gang.jpg

Nice, I know how to ski, but have always wanted to try snow boarding.  Strangely not too many opportunities in Texas.

1 hour ago, Spaced Cowboy said:

Nice, I know how to ski, but have always wanted to try snow boarding.  Strangely not too many opportunities in Texas.

Yeah I was at Bliss for 5 years and it snowed like twice a year. However  I do follow my old Army Brigade (aka the Scudbusters of Desert Storm fame) on Facebook, and they recently took a ski outing from Fort Bliss up to Wolf Creek. Wish they'd done stuff like that when I was in! 

D

There is a group of guys at work that go once a year on a buddies ski trip to Colorado.  They have asked me to go along, but I would be the only "engineer."  These guys are all technicians.  I feel out of place.  Lastly, I never have gone on a "buddies" trip.  And I'm not sure how my wife would react to me taking a vacation without her.

On 2/11/2018 at 11:33 PM, Spaced Cowboy said:

... I would be the only "engineer."  These guys are all technicians.

Isn't this the story line for "The Big Bang Theory?" ;)

17 hours ago, Zkribbler said:

Isn't this the story line for "The Big Bang Theory?" ;)

Yeah, except the other way around.

Is it safe to come out yet? :D

3 hours ago, Dale said:

Is it safe to come out yet? :D

NO IT'S NOT!!!   Run and hide, quickly or he'll find you.... 

So whilst everyone was having fun here last weekend, I actually went off and spent some quality family time at Wilson's Prom for Easter. Love that place!

We did some hiking, kayaking, drinking and relaxing with our friends too. Best of everything really.

Oh and if you can't tell, my kids love doing that thing with panorama shots where they run behind you to get in the photo twice. :D

20429928_10216719978933383_8871959660157788504_n.jpg

29594719_10216719922531973_7982779971013402342_n.jpg

29664793_10216719980013410_4323043758119489217_o.jpg

29792200_10216719922851981_2986302379412829745_n.jpg

Run behind you and then get their big heads in the way of the view...  twice...

Looks like you had fun!!

20 hours ago, Spaced Cowboy said:

Absolutely beautiful!

It really is! Sometimes it amazes me the local beauty we have in Victoria. Everyone keeps saying they need to go here or here or here for holidays, literally forgetting about the amazing local places only 3 or 4 hours drive from Melbourne.

20 hours ago, E_T said:

Run behind you and then get their big heads in the way of the view...  twice...

Looks like you had fun!!

Really did! It was great to get away with the family for a few days. We literally haven't stopped since Christmas, so it was our first break in months. :)

One of my nephews just went for a visit. He loved it. Not sure where in Oz. One of my wife's cousins moved there 30 or 40 years ago.

I bought myself an early birthday/Father's Day present. :D

54671528707__2CD6E2E3-7A6A-4FCC-855A-09822AD5C5F9.JPG