Argroww

Caveman2Cosmos

132 posts in this topic

I'm totally hooked up by this mod. Only I must be doing something wrong, because on a monarch adaptive difficulty game, by the early classical age I'm clearly ages ahead of everyone else (and on Immortal difficulty). All wonders are mine (except a couple of the first ones), and I had ~5 cities by the time the first civ I know had its second (there's a civ in between on another continent though). By now, I've just settled my 15th city (the last 5 cities were built in less than 20 turns, to get to the 15 cities I need to finish a quest, normally I'd only have 1 or 2 new cities at a time), three other civs have 6/7 each, and a couple still have only their capital. I have over 500 score, which is the next four civs added up. I did put in a lot of time into this, so I'll see if I continue up to writing and gift all of my techs to any civ that gets off minor status. But for the next game, I'd like a bit more challenge :(

Also, I'm confident that the main slowdown is due to Civ4 not being multithreaded, and processor power being the limiting factor, since I have 12 gigs of ram (had 4, wanted to add a bit more, and buying 8 cost 10% more than buying 4...) and this mod still goes pretty slow. My processor is a ~4 yo i5 750

Yeah, they've taken the game engine to places that it wasn't even thought about, little alone meant to go....

To add to my problems I think my laptop fan is reaching it's EoL....even flash games struggle to run properly (although this may be due to me having hardware acceleration turned on in chrome) and a CPU temp progam I nabbed reveals that my core temp is usually about 80C at full processing, and 50-60 with internet radio and another non-flash broswer game open. I've taken a look at it and there's not a lot of dust on the fan, but maybe some in the parts not so easy to see (need a compressed air can!!).

However N35t0r, in my games the AI has often been quite competent at keeping up at Warlord level, even surpassing me. I'm sure I spotted a conversation on CivFantics on how the AI can actually struggle at the higher difficulty levels due to the greater barb/animal threat, it slows down their expansion more where-as the player may notice little difference or be able to cope better.

My current game had my nearest neighbor becoming much bigger then myself...but then it did have range to expand east and west, where I only had the west (towards that AI) to expand. I was still roughly ahead in tech due to better building choices, but he was larger and had a biggger military than me

Ah, I usually play with a shitton of barbs. I love hunting.

I cannot see myself going any further with this mod aside from the fact that my laptop is now struggling with pretty much any game (beyond ones that have a smaller footprint). The developers have also admitted that with the additions they keep making are now majorly out-growing the capacity of the core engine and unless this is made open source by Firaxis/2K (whoever) then performance of the game is only going to get worse even on the best of gaming rigs (this is partially down to the core engine which is not capable of using the full cpacity of newer hardware/operating systems).

From studying the project forum over on CFC it looks like a couple of developers are putting serious consideration into developing a home-brew 4X engine and then placing the C2C ideals into it, which would be interesting, but will be a long time in the making.

In the mean-time I'm putting serious consideration into rolling back to Civ 3, but it lacks any really meaty mods (unless anyone knows of anything that may not be available on CFC?)

I have a high powered comp and it's still slow. its like 2-4 secs b/t turns. And I cant stand they limit UU and UB for fairness over realism, or not let you just start with the civ you chose. The Neandertal civ is broken I think. No way to build the neandertal culture.

Other than that, alot of the content is amazing, the eras are masterpieces along with the religion addons and mods. But I urge anybody who likes C2C to try Quot Capita: Majesty. And see what you think.