Argroww

Caveman2Cosmos

132 posts in this topic

Failed, after roughly 1000+ turns and a fairly interesting game in that I was not clearly at the top it started to slow down to a degree that I couldn't accept.....however it was due to this that I discovered V28 hadn't kicked in properly when I started the large map.

I'm now playing on a small map, still snail pace as Warlord difficulty and the culture traits have kicked in...amongst a few other new options during custom game creation.

Still early days, however I reckon that I'm on the south "pole", I have a little bit of green land to expand with (maybe 6-7 cities), and A LOT of tundra, too early to explore the seas just yet, so whils ti knwo there are 4 other civs out there, I doubt I'll be meeting them until we have all researched writing and got past the Minor Civ status AND on or more of us has developed the tech to cross oceans...which will probably be me on the current difficulty.

So far I have 3 cities, but as I haven't got as far as settlers I can only have one tribesman wandering around at a time...plus I'not not generating enough money to support too many cities.....yet...... (this is with research at 100%)

Is the instal easier than it used to be?

I had a tough time getting an earlier version to work.

I don't know, I've never had any problems. Upgrading to a new version usually involves deleting the previous folder and re-installing into the same place, otherwise it hasn't changed. They did try to use Desura to make the process smoother, but it didn't work as Desura appears to use the wrong mod fileset

Downloading the latest version now. I guess I just unzip it into the Mods folder.

Yep, it's a fairly large mod and can take some time to load....also beware of using certain maps they have been known to slow the game down during play (E.G. the mongoosemod map does this especially).

Also make sure you start a custom game, otherwise you miss out on a lot of the options that the mod uses...Oh and ensure you select the prehistoric era when creating a custom game as it defaults to ancient on that drop-down.

It's hit recently V29 so I had to downlopad and re-install, chose to start a new game (as I usualyl do when a new version comes out) which was just as well because in my V28 Small map I discovered that 2 of the AIs due to having more land-space to build on than in my starting location were much bigger than myself, i had the tech lead....but otherwise I was smaller and weaker.....although the ocean was creating a fairly effecitve barrier to any kind of invasion.....may have made for an interesting "underdog" scenario, could I still win through my tech lead alone?, my small southern land-mass was also surrounded by several mountains with few entry points that I could easily defend with a standing army as they would have to make amphibious attacks, which even to the mid game would be hard work.....however smaller land means less access to useful resources.....oh well....

In my new game I think I'm the Iroquis (sp?), however being on early shifts and having little time to get on the laptop means I haven't had the time for Civ recently. But it's a Standard map and still very early game and my starting point is inland with no visible water (yet).

I am enjoying this. More is better in Civ as far as I am concerned.

Glad to hear, another one converted :-D....the updates are fairly regular although you do not have to start a new game with every update, the game is MEANT to automatically update the assets in the saved game....however i find to fully experience any new additions (especially those tied to the start of the game) you somwhat need to start a new game with each new version.

It is however very processor intensive, and on my laptop can struggle to run although I did manage to get close to the Galactic age a few versions back before the next version was released!

Are they getting that veiwing system going like they wanted??

Viewport, yes it works and it may even save a little bit of processing power, but I'm not sure how much....it's a bit odd as it chops off the map according to the size you want to see and it only shifts the map when you try to move to a city or unit outside of that zone

Well some of the new additons appear to be many more "automatic" buildings, mostly housing type buildings, but there's also the trade post (and upgrade path) and many diseases and pests that are in truth buildings, but used in a different manner. It somewhat shows how well your trade network is operating as you see the message box show that your cities are building more advanced housing types.

One of your problems that you might be having is that your playing on a laptop. Due to heat and power limitations, your busses are all running slower then you would have in a standard tower/desktop of the same abilities. You FSB, memory and even the processor are slower, in several respects, so when you have a larger game, in the latter part, that difference really shows up. Just one of the things that I'm learning in my CompTIA A+ certification classes....

Oh I know that running it on a laptop is going to make it slow, i just don't have any choice, I have a tower but it's less powerful than my laptop and currently running Ubuntu so it of no use and the cost involved in upgrading the hardware on that tower is too high given that MOST of what I want to play will work on my laptop.....if a little slow. Although I do worry that if I keep pushign the laptop am I going to make it wear out faster....not entirely sure on that side of things to be honest, but constant fan use and the heating up of innards surely can't be a good thing for any electrical device....oh well, enjoy it while it lasts, then get a replacement!

Okay, we're on V30 now....as far as I can tell it's mostly performance improvements, so far gameplay has held no new surprises. Once again I started afresh, I did attempt to update an old save to the new version, but it took ages and left the game running VERY slowly...felt like I'd get back to where I was just as quckly by starting a new game....so I did.

Once again, favourite setting, Standard map using the Continents pre-set and 1 continent per team, warlord difficulty random civ choice (game picked America), I've explored a bit of my land and appear to be alone, but there may be a lot to the west of me still to explore. I've been beaten to Shamanism and am currently running at 65% research to get even +1 income...still early days.

I have found out two (or three) things that might speed this version of the game up and/or allow for larger world sizes and better late game playability. Especially if you are playing on a laptop computer.

1) If playing with Vista/Win7 (and possibly Win 8[EDIT]Win8 removed Area, so not an issue with it[/edit]), shut off Aero windows. The Aero look and feel of Vista/7 uses a great deal of resources and memory.

Right click on the desktop and select Personalize. Then select Windows Classic and either use a solid color desktop or a single picture that is a small file size. This will keep the system from using the Aero interface and greatly reduce resource needs.

2) For a Desktop Computer, add a second Hard Drive. If the system is PATA (old IDE), put the second drive on the second IDE Channel. This helps to increase HDD throughput. Also, on the different drives, have one with your OS (including Virtual Memory) and the second drive with your Data (game files, etc). If you have SATA drives, this isn't a problem, as each drive is on a separate channel as it is. BUT, be mindful of the SATA version, as the transfer speed is different if it's SATA version 1, 2 or 3. Or, if your system has an older SATA version, get an add-on card that supports the faster version.

No matter what, make sure that your Virtual Memory is NOT using the same drive as your game.

2a) If you have the money, get a SSD (Solid State Drive) for your second Drive. File transfer speeds are greatly increased, due to not having any mechanicals that you have to wait for to read and write.

2b) for those people who have a Laptop, you might get a slight to good improvement increase with using an external HDD, depending on the interface type and version. Currently, eSATA 3.0 is the fastest, but USB 3.0 (Super Speed USB, with the Blue Connectors) is a serious contender. IEEE 1394 (firewire) connection is still a serious speed over older USB connections. And the New Thunderbolt 1.0 (or even the newest 2.0 version) blows all of the above away. (Also depends on if the Drive is Mechanical or Solid State.

3) If using an OS that is greater then XP (Vista/7/8), you can use a flash storage media for your virtual memory. This is called ReadyBoost

quote from http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-802/windows-features/

Windows Vista changed a lot of the ways the operating system uses memory. It tries to use memory in a way that will speed up the operation of your computer. Normally, a lot of information is written to the hard drive. But Microsoft realized that a lot of us are walking around with these USB flash keys, so they created a new technology called ReadyBoost. ReadyBoost allows you to improve the speed of your computer, but you have to have some type of flash memory. And this can be a USB key, it can be an SD card, a CompactFlash, anything that’s flash memory that would be much faster than using a hard drive.

This is caching information to this USB key or to this flash memory instead of caching it to the much slower disk. This allows you to have, in some cases, a significant speed increase, especially when launching certain applications and using functions within the application. However, you have to be sure that you’re using the right kind of memory. Some flash memory is relatively slow. But newer types of flash memory are fast enough to be able to use with the ReadyBoost technology. When you plug in your USB key or your flash memory, Windows will recognize this and it will ask you if you would like to be able to use ReadyBoost with the memory that you’ve just plugged into your computer.

So, you can use your thumbdrive for your virtual memory and other caching uses that the OS normally used RAM or the HDD for. And with thumb drives being cheap as all get out, it's a really quick and easy way to speed up your game play.

Edited by E_T
Added some stuff

Well I'll give the aero windows thing a go, but haven't had much time for civ lately

updated and added to my previous post about what you can do to help increase your game play with C2C (or other games)

Cannot say if step 1 has helped me at all...I *think* it has, but not sure.

step 2 and 3 are beyond me as I cannot afford additional hardware of any kind, but they sound feasable. I only have a 128MB flash drive...and another one I got from a seminar which I haven't even looked at yet (but will probably also be small).

However what is also not helping is that the age of my laptop may be playing upon the cooling fan, not positive but I'm sure the laptop has been hotter of later and it randomly turns itself off (but always when I'm trying to run an executable)...this may be due to the laptop model being known to shut down when a critical temp is reached....or it may be a virus that my AV software is unable to detect.....not sure which is worse in some ways.

Oddly flash games don't seem to work too well either, sometimes slowing down to an unplayable rate. I expect this out of a game like civ (especially with a mod as big as C2C)....but a flash game?

Time for an upgrade methinks.....but cannot afford one so that will not happen.

need to check the BIOS settings and the OS power settings and have the fan on all the time to help with cooling (some laptops allow the user to change these settings, some don't).

Also, an USB thumb drive is really cheap these days. Last one that I got was an 8 gig USB 2.0 for about 5 Dollars (plus tax), so price is not a real obstacle...

They are a little more expensive over here in the UK...but not by much. The fan is on pretty much on all of the time....so is the laptop to be honest as I'm either playing a game, listening to internet radio or my partner is using it.

Still, it may turn out that because USB sticks are so cheap the freebie I got from my seminar will be a fair sized one.

it's only 1GB, so perhaps not suitable as flash memory, oh well. Still need to see if step 1 has made any difference.

One gig of Virtual Memory/Ready Boost is more than enough to try with....

it's only 1GB

and this statement is too funny, when you really look at it.... when Civ4 had first come out, that amount of flash memory in one "stick" would have cost a lot....now that amount is given away as a freebie....

True, at least it would prove that it did something....turning off the aero setting had no noticeable difference

well well well....ReadyBoost works, even with only a 1GB flash stick. Haven't tried it with civ yet, but last night I downloaded a MMO that ran awfully on my laptop, totally unplayable, tried it this morning wit hthe stick plugged in and readyboost activated and it made a massive difference.

Thanks ET, you may well have just dragged some more life out of my struggling laptop :-D

Okay...it sort of works.

I tried a 16GB SD card, this made no difference at all to the MMO or Civ 4...possibly due to the data transfer rate being slower on the SD card. The 1GB USB stick did improve the MMOs performance.....for about 30 mins...then it would drop....then pick up again...then drop...so almost playable...but not quite there, which is a shame as it looked okay (to me if anyone is curious it was Ragnarok Online 2)

The 1GB usb stick made no difference at all to Civs performance...or if it did it was so slight that I didn't notice. Will have to see if a bigger one helps anymore....should I ever manage to get a bigger one.