Beta

New Pitboss game - Endymion

175 posts in this topic

Hmm... with a large map, do you normally play these at marathon, epic, normal, or quick speed?

Most of the time our games are at normal speed. Even with simultaneous turn pitboss a game will still take a while on normal speed. Epic and marathon just make it longer for no real benefit.

Most of the time our games are at normal speed. Even with simultaneous turn pitboss a game will still take a while on normal speed. Epic and marathon just make it longer for no real benefit.

Can you imagine the time it would have taken the Last War in Hyperion if it was on a slower speed??

Well, if the speed for Hyperion were different we would still be playing it instead of starting Endymion. ;)

Beta would still be nuking Nugog right about now. :cute:

Actually, wars tend to be swifter on epic and especially marathon because production is slower. You're either prepared for the conflict or you aren't... it's a LOT harder to rush-build a defense once you're already under attack and equally hard to replace units lost in the field if you're the invader.

Since losing a ton of units in a war also leaves you militarily weakened for many turns to come (making it easier to invade you before you can restock your units), I'd expect players might also be a BIT more cagey about going to war in the first place if they think they're going to get stabbed in the back.

But yeah... the game overall would still be much, much longer (and most of that would be exploring and/or hitting next turn...).

The one benefit would be gaining the ability to cross a large-sized map with a military w/o 2 decades worth of history and 2-3 techs being researched in the meantime.

But yeah... if these pitboss games take forever, that's probably not worth it.

On the other hand, we are going for 24 hour turns.........

Hi guys. Getting some civ time back now. The internment of the ashes was today at the cemetery, and we almost finished cleaning out my mother-in-laws apartment. My sister-in-laws birthday party (and 15 year anniversary of her gardening and landscaping business) is tomorrow but after that, I can breathe easy. What an incredible and tiring two weeks. zzzzzz

we can probably get this going next week, before Arne has too much time to practice. ;)

I suppose it's a good thing that I have literally zero delusion that I will win this game - I've devised another set of goals that I will use to constitute my own private version of a functional 'win' for the newbie. :p

I suppose it's a good thing that I have literally zero delusion that I will win this game - I've devised another set of goals that I will use to constitute my own private version of a functional 'win' for the newbie. :p

YES... and those are??? :D

We've already determined that Rob will be last so you have that to look forward to Arne. ;)

We've already determined that Rob will be last so you have that to look forward to Arne. ;)

That would be one of several possible "victory" scenarios I have devised for myself as the newbie: don't come in last place.

YES... and those are??? :D

Here are a few I've come up with so far...

Mass Effect "Victory"

- Survive the game, in any manner, with any remaining presence whatsoever

Thank God for Mississippi "Victory"

- Be in any position other than last place for more than half of the game

Pyrrhic "Victory"

- Capture any city of any other civilization in the game (if subsequently wiped out)

Poetic "Victory"

- Be wiped out by a civilization that is itself wiped out

Washington Redskins "Victory"

- Win a wonder building race, capture a city, or defeat the ultimate winner of the game in any form of competition (meaningful or not) at any point in the game

Maryland "Victory"

- Be able to claim first place in any demographic or score category (such as "acres of park land"), even if last place on every single other measure, at any point in the game

Sidekick "Victory"

- Be allied, in whatever manner appropriate, with the guy who ACTUALLY wins the game

Almost "Victory"

- Build a spaceship part, even if only one, before losing the game

Blaze of Glory "Victory"

(aka Beta "Victory" or MAD "Victory")

- Fire off a nuclear weapon, but fail to win the game (even if subsequently wiped out)

Messianic "Victory"

- Found and/or spread the world's leading religion (even if subsequently crucified)

Spear Beats Tank "Victory"

- Defeat any modern or industrial era unit with any ancient or classical era unit at any point in the game

Lolcats "Victory"

- Succeed at any espionage mission w/o being caught, at any point in the game, and subsequently post a kitten-themed image of the mission

Suggestions welcome on more!

Edited by Arnelos

:lol::b:

You can be my sidekick. :cute:

Arnie, I need someone whom I can try some different "experiments" on... You can be my Beaker... :cute::p

[video=youtube;yQj2NP25TIo]

Edited by E_T

You can be my Beaker...

112883.jpg

Arnie, I need someone whom I can try some different "experiments" on... You can be my Beaker... :cute::p

My name is Legion, for we are many... :devil:

(given the outcome of that particular experiment!)

Rhoth, show him your "wife's" picture... :D

arack.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to photoshop that pic together with the one from Rhoth's post 3 above it. :D

Update?

Players:

1. fed1943

2. Beta

3. Rhoth

4. Viking

5. Andydog

6. E_T

7. Arnelos

8. OzzyKP

Last place. RobWorham

I don't think Donald is playing - are you Mr D.?

Map: Large Archipelago with Low Water

22 hr turn timer (ie. a turn a day)

No tech brokering.

No nukes.

Naval civs ARE in.

If all is Ok I will have my wife draw names from a hat for the civ draft.

Nope, I'm not playing this one.

Ok - thanks for confirming. Will do the draft thing when Mrs Beta gets back from yoga.

Ok - thanks for confirming. Will do the draft thing when Mrs Beta gets back from yoga.

She is back. :)

And she has pulled names from a hat. The order of civ choices is:

1. Andydog

2. E_T

3. Beta :)

4. And not in last place... Rob

5. Rhoth

6. Viking

7. fed

8. Ozzy

9. Arne

You're up Andy! All civs are available for drafting. But no multiple leaders of the same civ. ie once Rome is gone, it is gone.