Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beta

My PC Got Nuked!

22 posts in this topic

And I blame Rhoth. He is throwing nukes around indiscriminately in the Hyperion game and one must have gotten away on him. :angry:

Actually - it is raf's fault. He wrote in the Terra Incognito game that...

Played. Sorry for the inconvenience, folks. Our internet got cut off at home. Pretty sure the roommates didn't pay the bill. Which makes me wonder what they did with my money...

So I go searching for the appropriate picture of folks drinking beer in a bar. The best one I found was called beer-maid 2 and had this young woman in what looks like a German beer hall serving up half a dozen steins of beer. When I downloaded, my anti-virus program picked something up and cleaned it out. That should have been my clue to just delete the image. But no, I am too stupid to do something like that. I go to image shack, and try to upload the saved image. That's when the nuke went off. :mushroom:

It did sort of look like a nuke going off in civ. Only two of my desktop icons were left standing. The rest were gone. My screen saver was gone. The start menu and all its options (control panel, computer, etc), all gone. I run Vista btw. All I could think of was those emails I get from my Mom and my cousin warning me of a major virus outbreak and if you open such and such an email, your hard drive will be erased and then you check snopes and find they are all two years old.

Anyways, where was I. Error messages started coming fast and furious. "RAM is damaged and now insufficient to ensure the PC would keep running." '"Disc drive damaged." Etc Etc. Mysteriously enough, what appeared to be a windows live utility pops up and says serious issues have been found, and should it do a diagnostic. Sure - it does it and then says there are 16 major issues found. Should it look for solutions. Sure - it fixes 7 and says it cannot fix the remaining 9, BUT, if you go here and pay this much you can get the other 9 fixed. :angry:

It was impossible to close it; I could only minimize it. Trying to open anything else brought up a series of 16 or so of the same error messages, all of which had to be closed. After fighting with things for a while, (virus scans, memory diagnostics) I was able to access control panel by going to Programs (which I could access) and default programs, which got me to the point where I could do a system restore. That was the turning point. We were down but not out of the game (although at one point I was tempted to just take the machine to our local PC shop ..then remembered that today, Monday is a holiday here.).

System restore sort of got the PC back up and running, where I could do a proper virus scan. Things were a mess though because the Catalyst Control Centre (ie video driver) kept crapping out. Tried several times to fix it, and eventually just had to delete the driver and all the stuff that goes with and then reinstall. Finally got that fixed.

Started looking around and it did appear that I lost tons of stuff, including all my pics. 80 folders and 4500 pics. Many of them of nice looking motorcycles. :cute: Also, all my civ saves were gone, which really is no big deal, as I should have cleaned those out ages ago anyway. And pretty well all my documents - word, PDF, and spreadsheet info. :( Maybe my Mom and cousin were right....

Started civ, the video was crappy, but lo and behold, I could find and load a recent pbem save from sbwn2. civ could find them, but I couldn't. I did a search on one of my picture folders - the search could find it. After a bit of research, I learned about hidden folders, and discovered that the nuclear attack had also converted a large portion of all my folders to hidden files. Under folder options I checked so that hidden files were visible and zap, there they were. Cloudy looking folders mind you, but all the pics were back. So in a way, civ helped me recover my info.

I should pause here to say that yes - everything should have been backed up so that I could restore it easily enough. Yes, everything should have been. And in the future, it will be. :nod:

Civ was still acting strange - both video and audio. So, re-install civ. What's another hour or so on top of everything else.

I can play ACtA OK, but not the Diplo Game - Gods and Heroes. ????

Got the civ4 video straightened away, but still no sound. Finally got that fixed as well. Another small adjustment the nuclear impact had made.

But still can't play Gods and Heroes. I have reloaded the mod completely. It loads OK. And I can connect to the game just fine. But just as it goes to connect to the game (ie at the end of the connect to game green bar) I get ..

The file you have selected is protected to ensure assets in your mod file have not been changed.

Any ideas on this one? I am at a loss. :(

So - that has been my last 24 hours plus. Not fun. My nephew who is a bit of a computer guru says that my system will probably never be the same again - registry issues and the like. I don't doubt it.

Any comments or recommendations??? Would particularly like ideas on God and Heroes.

Nuked in Hyperion. Nuked in real life. :(

Beta

My computer got nuked a while back too, though not nearly as bad as yours. The one I got caused my computer to not be able to open up the various anti-virus and clean up programs (well, and all other programs including civ). I finally was able to open up adaware through a back door attempt and got it to clean off whatever was keeping me from opening up programs. It still took a few days of full scans with adaware, malwarebytes, and the windows clean-up facility before I finally got rid of everything that was messing with my computer.

I wish I could help with what is going on with your civ, but I don't know. At least you can play Hyperion so you can still have the feel of getting nuked. :mushroom::cute:

That sucks. :(

For the Gods and Heroes issue: Maybe Civ4 is unable to find mods in hidden folders, even though it can find saves? Don't really know though.

My nephew who is a bit of a computer guru says that my system will probably never be the same again - registry issues and the like. I don't doubt it.

Indeed. When Windows has been infected that thoroughly, I'd say the easiest thing to do is probably just format the hard disk and re-install Windows once you have your data backed up. A pain, to be sure, but probably less painful over the long term than dealing with all the various things that may have been screwed up. Not to mention, it's hard to ever be sure you've truly thwarted said infection.

If you want to run a scanner to make sure the virus has been wiped out, you could try Windows Defender Offline or Malware Bytes. I'd definitely recommend doing Defender Offline if you want to keep going with this current install. That said, I do think you'll be happier in the long-term just nuking the drive and re-installing Windows. If you aren't comfortable doing the OS re-install, you could bribe that nephew of yours to help. :)

Time to scrub to bare wood and reinstall everything...

And for looking for hidden folders/files, Windows Commander is excellent program to use, I highly recommend it. The registration fee is very low and the shareware version is not really too crippled. Can also do FTP/URL file transfers to things like online storage spaces. Program is by a guy who is a friend of our old Blockhead buddy, Vondrack.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've heard Vondrack's name. Wonder how he's doing.

Clean install of everything. It's the only way to go.....

I'll pause Gods & Heroes for the time being, Beta

And indeed, clean reinstall :(

On the mod file:

* are you sure it is in the correct directory? It must be in the BTS directory and not in the My documents directory.

* furthermore you can check by rightclicking if the modfile directory is not protected.

I'll pause Gods & Heroes for the time being, Beta

Thanks donald, but Rhoth is set to play for me - so let the game continue.

On the mod file:

* are you sure it is in the correct directory? It must be in the BTS directory and not in the My documents directory.

* furthermore you can check by rightclicking if the modfile directory is not protected.

Will double check, thanks.

On the mod file:

:idiot:

Thanks Cal! That was the problem. I should be good to go now that I have it in the proper spot. If not, I will ask Rhoth to sub until I get it fixed.

Thanks donald, but Rhoth is set to play for me - so let the game continue.

:idiot:

Thanks Cal! That was the problem. I should be good to go now that I have it in the proper spot. If not, I will ask Rhoth to sub until I get it fixed.

With this in mind, I have restarted the game from the save I took just before pausing it. There is 5 hours left on the clock.

Game on :mushroom:!

PS: PYT is also connected.

With a Nuke Virus that big I'd get a new Hard Drive before reinstalling anything and get a oem copy of windows7 at the same time vista is really bad when it comes to protection this crappy vista laptop at work as been formated 4 time in as many years due to weird bugs nukes popping up

With this in mind, I have restarted the game from the save I took just before pausing it. There is 5 hours left on the clock.

Game on :mushroom:!

PS: PYT is also connected.

Played!!!! :b: Thanks Cal and thanks donald!

With a Nuke Virus that big I'd get a new Hard Drive before reinstalling anything and get a oem copy of windows7 at the same time vista is really bad when it comes to protection this crappy vista laptop at work as been formated 4 time in as many years due to weird bugs nukes popping up

Yah - been thinking the same thing given all the advice I have received in this thread. Thanks for your input and support all. Much appreciate it. :nod:

Mebbe time for a new PC ....... :D

(thank you beer-maids-2)

Do we get to see the image after all? :p

This is not it, but I have it on good authority that these are raf's roommates .....

beershuffleboard.jpg

Ya, me likey shuffleboard too! :eager:

Ya, me likey shuffleboard too! :eager:

To say nothing of beer... right. ;)