BaronC

It's crashing!! Would love some help from you lovely people!

14 posts in this topic

So I have a copy from GOG. ( I love those guys!)

A copy of my problems from GOG thread;

Well I tried all the proposed fixes suggested on the forums.

Unfortunatly the game continously crashes to desktop.

I run a P4 laptop with xp Home service pack 3.

i used to own a hard copy of both Smac/Smax and I don't recall them ever really crashing at all. ( ex -girl..I got the dog, she smashed up all my stuff!..including my games)

I used to play them till the early hours for hours on end and played them on the very same laptop. ( Laptop is in very good condition)

My laptop happily plays Planescape; Torment from GOG. Not a single CTD. ( if you haven't played Planescape..SHAME ON YOU!!!)

The game runs fine for a while, until I start expanding my civ capabilities in the 4x..then ctd.

This CTD occurs anywhere from setting an auto for an intercepter to completeing a project. It's Random.

I loved this game back in the day, so I really would love to stabilise it.

I have run DXdiag a few times, and my cursory amateur read doesn't highlight any problems. ( I have a copy to hand if needed)

I re installed it..but again CTD occurs.

So I'm at a loss.

I pasted the unofficial patch into the Directory on both installs...and still a crash.

However, I could be doing something wrong and never discount Human error.

As far as I understand, GOG release is version 5?

Thanks to Petek for directing me to these forums.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BaronC (AKA Baron Corrino' - Eve-Online Pirate from back in the day)

Howdy BaronC,

Glad to see you here! Do you have a save file from right before a crash? If so, please post it and explain what you do that causes the crash. That will help to identify whether the problem is with the game or something about your system.

Petek

Howdy BaronC,

Glad to see you here! Do you have a save file from right before a crash? If so, please post it and explain what you do that causes the crash. That will help to identify whether the problem is with the game or something about your system.

Petek

Hi Petek, thanks for the assist.

To clarify you mean a Dxdiag save?

If so you want a copy paste of the whole report or certain section?

If you mean any other kind of save, then sincerely I won't have a clue of your meaning. ;)

Hi Petek, thanks for the assist.

To clarify you mean a Dxdiag save?

If so you want a copy paste of the whole report or certain section?

If you mean any other kind of save, then sincerely I won't have a clue of your meaning. ;)

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I meant ask for a game save file. The file name is something like Lal of the Peacekeepers,2102.sav. Assuming that you installed the game in GOG's default location, the game save files are located in

C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\GOGcom\Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri\saves

HTH

Petek

Hi

I apologise for the delay..'Real Life' reared it's ugly head

I enclose file as requested.

description.

I set rover to auto explore.

I then may get to move a mind worm towards base.

crash will occur .

thanks again.

Alpha Centauri Autosave 1.SAV

Edited by BaronC

I loaded your save file, but couldn't reproduce the CTD. My first suggestion would have been to reinstall, but I see you already did so. Is your system generally stable? That is, do you get lockups/freezes/crashes in other programs? If so, then you should work on fixing those problems. If not, then perhaps one of your running processes or services is incompatible with the game. Software firewalls and anti-malware programs are known to cause problems. You might try disabling any of those to see if that helps. If none of those suggestions help, please post your Alpha Centauri.ini file for us to take a look.

Hell again

My system is stable, its a recent OS reinstall.

Here is my INI:

[Alpha Centauri]

DirectDraw=0

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

ds3d=1

eax=1

FastUnitAnim=0

SmoothUnitAnim=0

MainFontSize=16

InterludeFontSize=16

DisableOpeningMovie=0

Prefs Format=12

Difficulty=2

Map Type=3

Top Menu=3

Faction=1

Preferences=10111011111000011101110110001110

More Preferences=1110100111000111101000

Semaphore=00000000

Announce=111000000010100000

Rules=101100000001110

Customize=1

Custom World=4, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 2,

Time Controls=1

WindowsFileBox=0

Latest Save=

Latest Scenario=

Main Volume=127

Voice Volume=85

Music Volume=63

SFX Volume=95

[PREFERENCES]

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

Which 'services ' tend to be the main culprits?

Try changing your ini file as follows: Delete the ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1 line in the [Alpha Centauri] section and change the other line in [Preferences] to ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0. If that doesn't help, then cancel all unit automations: (Unit automation sometimes causes crashes.) Load the game you just posted. Before taking any actions, hit your F7 key. In the Automate Units box click Select All, followed by Cancel Orders. Now play as usual. Does the game still crash?

Hi

I tried both suggestions, game still crashed.

I thought the Automation might be the culprit. Still game crashed.

OK, try this: Start --> Run --> msconfig. Select Diagnostic Startup. This will load Windows with only essential services and such. After rebooting, does the game still crash?

OK, try this: Start --> Run --> msconfig. Select Diagnostic Startup. This will load Windows with only essential services and such. After rebooting, does the game still crash?

Boom Headshot!!! ..Ahem!

I meant to say not a single crash..I switched on all Auto facilities to make sure.. and went all the way through to Transendence win. ( Big grin)

Played smooth and silky.

Means something is clashing with game on my lappy?

Glad to hear you got it to work! Yes, something on your system conflicts with the game. You have two options:

1. You can live with rebooting before and after playing. Go back to msconfig after playing, restore your original configuration (select Normal startup) and reboot. Use Diagnostic startup before playing SMAC.

2. You wish to identify the cause of the conflict. Run msconfig when in Diagnostic startup mode. Look at the Services and Startup tabs. Unchecked items were not loaded during diagnostic startup. Re-enable the items until you identify which one causes the crashes. If it's not essential, you can permanently disable it. If you need the item for other purposes, then you're back to option 1 where you have to reboot before and after playing.

If you do identify what caused the conflict, please let us know for future reference. Let me know if this isn't clear, or if you have any other questions.

Glad to hear you got it to work! Yes, something on your system conflicts with the game. You have two options:

1. You can live with rebooting before and after playing. Go back to msconfig after playing, restore your original configuration (select Normal startup) and reboot. Use Diagnostic startup before playing SMAC.

2. You wish to identify the cause of the conflict. Run msconfig when in Diagnostic startup mode. Look at the Services and Startup tabs. Unchecked items were not loaded during diagnostic startup. Re-enable the items until you identify which one causes the crashes. If it's not essential, you can permanently disable it. If you need the item for other purposes, then you're back to option 1 where you have to reboot before and after playing.

If you do identify what caused the conflict, please let us know for future reference. Let me know if this isn't clear, or if you have any other questions.

Understood.

I will go with option 2..the least I can do to help out is find out the cause for other players in similar predicament.

Thanks again for the help. You are appreciated.

I'l update once i find culprits.