Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rusty Edge

Single player spew

11 posts in this topic

Feel free to :rant: or gloat about your Single player games here.

So lately my self imposed rule is that after selecting my first tech, I don't select my techs, I just select the cheapest/quickest tech to research next, based on the logic that historically a lot of scientific breakthroughs just happened, they weren't by design. It's worked well enough for me as far as keeping the games closer and more interesting longer.

Except that this game I'm playing against that son of a female canine Mansa Musa. Doesn't seem to matter what I do, I'm trailing him in score.

I shoulda hunted him down and eradicted him along with the wolves.

I might have gone after him, but first Churchill was choking me( I vassalized him), then Peter was in between us and I was at war with him. I had just settled for cash and techs as I approached Peter's capital.

Then Dutch Billy stuck a knife in my back, and he razed one coastal city and captured two more before I could do more than fight a delaying action.

I flipped his German vassals and eradicated his Egyptian and Babylonian ones. Now I'm doing away with the Dutch, if it costs me the game.

Great idea for a thread! :b:

And yes, Mansa can be a sleeper.

:lol:

Not much for me anymore. It has been quite a while since I've played an SP game. The closest I've gotten recently is finishing out the Friend or Foe PBEM to a full conclusion after the other players conceded to me.

Nice idea Rusty! :b:

Now I've just got to find the time to play SP with Skycrack sucking my summer away like a black hole......

At least this way the lurkers can see that some of us play single.

Mansa declared on me, and I haven't finished off Billy yet. It's an island heavy map, and the navy I built to fight Billy looks like a match for Mansa's navy even if my ground forces are a tech behind. I was forced to give two cities on Peter's continent back to him, rather than try to defend them from Mansa's vasals. I'm still planning to concentrate on the Dutch and the nearby archipelago nation of Rome ( who is a vassal of Mansa), and hope I can overextend my enemy without doing the same thing to myself.

What level are you playing on? And how big is the map? And how many civs started?

What level are you playing on? And how big is the map? And how many civs started?

I'm playing a game of Legends of Revolution mod http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=319235 in an effort to re-create a graphics glich I've seen in a couple of games, hopefully in time for correction before the final release. This test is at warlord level.

I like to play Noble or other mid-level/Huge/Marathon against ten opponents, but that's misleading because in this mod barb cities can promote to civs, and colonies get created. There is space for 50 civs, I think, and there are more as the game goes along rather than less, although many vassalize or otherwise align themselves with the larger players.

I've been playing the Caveman2Cosmos mod. Early games tend to stretch me as I keep sticking with being a builder rather than a maker of armies, thus during the first several hundred turns (As I have the Start as Minor Civs option turned on, for those who don't know it places you at permanent war until you discover writing....even then the other civs also have to discover writing before you can enter peace) I have to deal with the enemy units entering my land and destroying my improvements, this is made worse by the fact that at this point in the game defense is much easier than offense, so even a unit that has 2-3 points of strength advantage over another unit is likely to still loose simply due to the defensive bonuses from the tile and what-not. and then you also have to cope with the wandering neaderthals, they don't attack cities (fortunately), but can make exploring the map a pain.

So in my latest game I sat for quite a lot of turns letting the nearby AIs camp on my land (on top of the only resource in my reach at that point) until I had enough of a tech advantage to remove him, even then it took building quite a number of spearmen (many of which were also lost) before I could start effectively cultivating my land.

I often find that whilst I am a coward an play on Chieftan a lot of the time, using the Prehistoric start and the "start as minor civs" can make even a potenitally easy game difficult especially when the C2C game also has a huge tech tree, this makes it harder to get to the critical techs that equal turning points...although i suspect that if I really tried I could take all of the AIs nearby, it would cost me a lot of units....even more-so as I have a tile limit of 5 set as well.

I have a western hemisphere start on an Earth-like map. Call it Chicago. The Persians are in Quebec and the Sioux are in Mexico. This is a "start as minor civ" check box option game, so a state of war exists until both civs have writing and can open diplomatic relations.

The Persians had copper, so I had my hands full fending them off. I settled on some copper in the Rocky Mountains, but the Sioux razed that settlement twice. Eventually I got iron and writing, and the Persians asked for peace before any cities changed hands between us.

Sitting Bull and the Sioux are the most irritating Civ and leader in IV as far as I'm concerned. It's that constent asking for techs and poisoning my water. I turned my attention to attempting to eradicate them. Worked fine on the plains, but once I invaded the hills of Mexico, those drilled up archers sold their lives dearly. It was a long expensive economy crusher before seige, and my civ development and tech progress suffered as a result.

So, I now control Columbia-Peru-Venezuela- Central America, Mexico, the Canadian breadbasket, and the USA except for the eastern time zone. The Persians control the rest of North America, the Egyptians the rest of South America.

Now we have contact with the old world, and they are more advanced. We're still Medieval. The old world vikings have colonized Cuba. I feel like the historical Aztecs. I won't win this one, but I can still try for conquest of the western hemisphere.

I recently finished a game of "History of the Three Kingdoms" , eventually winning as Cao Cao. It's a Chinese Unification mod. Mostly a war game, with few World Wonders.

There are different buildings, techs, units, graphics, civics than the regular game.

A core difference are the historical heroes, who can form legions that share in the hero's special promotions. I'm partial to Lu Bu myself, I use him to form a legion of horse archers, because he was great with a bow.

It's cool to form a 4 trebuchet legion with a hero who has a "target weakest unit first" promotion.