chuft

Vassals

10 posts in this topic

Deirdre surrendered to me some time ago.

Well, just now, she launched a Sneak Attack against me.

I have never seen a surrendered faction attack the player's faction without some outrageous provocation (like the player using a Planet Buster). This really throws me for a loop.

Anybody else ever have this happen?

The only interesting fact that might bear on it is that Aki is also surrendered to me, and has been constantly fighting Deirdre, committing atrocities against the Gaians, presumably with chemical weapons. But I haven't committed a single atrocity the entire game, against anyone.

The same thing happened to me once. A possible explanation is that Aki framed you for an atrocity that she committed against the Gaians. Did Deirdre accuse you of an atrocity?

Deirdre never accused me of anything - all it said was that the Gaians were launching a sneak attack. No dialog.

If I call them, all I get is that they are ignoring our transmissions.

It would be serious indeed to be framed for an atrocity, since a faction won't make peace with you after being the victim of one. I tried to make my two vassals make peace before, but Deirdre just said something like "the abominable Aki must be destroyed" or something, I guess the response you get from an atrocity victim.

It has happened to me on several occasions. If I remember correctly I was blocking the only way to my vassal's arch-enemy at one time, another time I was framed for stealing tech (I got the message, as far as I remember) and one time the other fac leaders simply talked my vassal, the somewhat gullible Cha Dawn, into it. He actually said so...

Deirdre surrendered to me some time ago.

Well, just now, she launched a Sneak Attack against me.

Yeah, they'll do that.

It's always a bit weird the first time it happens, first time for me was Miriam surprise-bombing me after I'd given her all my technology...:mad:

I think they mostly turn on you when you're friendly with ennemies of theirs. The situation you describe sounds standard. I also think the difficulty level might have something to do with it, I don't remember any vassal betraying me on difficulties lower than librarian.

I think they mostly turn on you when you're friendly with enemies of theirs.

I agree with this, even if it's just a feeling I have. Cha Dawn explicitly told me that his allies had talked him into attacking me once (did I already mention this?).

There's a setting/flag in the faction profiles "I will betray" (maybe it's in the scenario editor), which leads me to believe that at least one faction in the game is lead by a backstabbing psycho. I've been sucker punched by Dierdre a few times myself, though her attitude was "magnanimous".

So basically, yeah, with a smile on her face she went and dropped an army on me. Of course I had to up and annihilate all Gaians after that. She never did ask for mercy after she declared (not that she'd have gotten it when she had access to Planet Busters). Silly Gaians.