Mr. Scruffy

Civ6 concept collection - Main

34 posts in this topic

I´d say, it would probably take two - one guy doing the content and another integrating it into the game. But we dont really have to discuss team allocation.

Maybe we should have another category of ideas. One for those that arent really mechanics related, where things go like general user interface stuff, graphical things, from the 2D-map to wonder-vids, and also the narrative stories. The clothes, basically.

What i´d really be interested in, would be a concrete example of a story in civ, how you envision it. The hard thing about giving examples in the category decribed above, in general, is that it may require graphical mock-ups to really convey the idea. Like how i tried to describe how tiered buildings would be displayed in the city-screen: I am aware, that due to this worded decription probably nobody here imagines it, like i do - i should make a mock-up screen (but i am terribly bad at it), to demostrate. I think if you could do that for an example story-line (for civ, not smac), it would promote the idea a lot, as more people would get a grasp what it is, that fascinates you so much, and might share your desire once they see it.

That being said, you really ought to get EU3 complete edition next time, it´s on sale, at least. At these reoccuring occassions it tends to cost something like 30 bucks (for a game with 4 expansions, that pretty good) or even less. At least look into it - i really wouldnt want you to miss out on it. It could also inspire you and via you us.

Mostly the idea is to make each leader/civ have some sort of personality, and not be so incredibly generic. Some of this could could be done with minor changes to the way diplomacy goes, with some individualized ways of saying the same things for each. France, again, should have a pretty good opinion of itself in any age, whoever the leader.

Another bit I'd like to see is a sort of intoductory page for each age. That speaks to as much of a plot as is feasible to apply univerally; the history of Man on Earth. It would speak of the world trends characteristic of the era -- and be easy to click past or even turn off. There are bits that would have to be handwaved; France has been one nation for 4,000 years no more than Napoleon was around the whole time. It would certainly require some careful thought.

And then there's the Civlopedia - I love how thorough and genuinely educational the historical entries are in the Age of Empires games. They went to the trouble to really do it right, and I'd like to see more of that for Civ...

I won't say much about the story topic (since in the past I've said more than fair share) except to say:

- Story for base game? NO!

- Story for mods/scenarios? YES!

Civ is different to SMAC. Civ is about writing your own story.

I've had a quick skim, but what about the idea of specific or limited choice in both buildings and tech, in all civ games if a tech is there and you've satisfied it's requirements, you can research it....same for buildings. For some games/mods you may end up never building something simply because you don't have the required resources...BUT you could build it IF you had the resources.

What I'm suggesting is that in the tech tree you get given a choice Tech A or Tech B....picking one hides the other and thus can result in a completely different tree....as a wild example Science Vs Magic (wouldn't be in the vanilla game, but may be in a mod), you pick one, and therefore cannot have the other, each branch would give different, but hopefully balanced units, buildings and other stuff. I'm trying to think of where this may have happened in the real world....and I'm sure it has where you may have 2 equally valid theories (be they scientifically true or not), but chosing one discounts the other.

I think some mods for c4 and maybe even c3 have attempted this, but the engine doesn't really support it so it's been got round by having alternative paths applied to the begining of a tech tree as your civ choice, as opposed to it occuring part way through.

However I agree with the idea of not applying a story to the base game. I'd say if you want a story based game, play something else Civ has always been about writing your own story/history in your choices as the rule of your empire, rather than following what someone else has decided what your story should be....else Civ risks turning into a facebook style game of repetetive quests.........oh wrote that without fully reading what Dale wrote!!

It´s a bit like ´Master of Orion II´, Agrroww, right?

I think there are already two concepts working towards differination of the civs, without total exclusion from tech-branches:

The bonus granted by your color will drive you into certain branches more than into others and the culture tree features exclusive choices. For the later i could for example imagine a triplet, with each item exlusive to the other two, that grants a certain amount of base-color-points per turn. Alternatively, the tech tree´s branches could be named and seperate boni dished out at various occassions, but i think that would sort of overlap too much with the color-concept and that attributing colors to the techs should suffice, in general.

Another idea would be to have negative links between particular techs. Like in: If you have researched X, Y will be Z% more expensive to research (and vice versa). I just cant think of any pair i´d like to link this way, though...

Edited by Mr. Scruffy

Science vs Religion type techs would be an example (an occasional arguement in my house) there are religious beliefs that defy scientific theory (or what some may consider fact) if you apply those in a game of civ following a religious branch of "tech" may slow down the techs that are closer aligned to theory so researching polytheism may slow down navigation (which leads to proving the earth is round)....as an example

There is no such thing as a ´religion type tech´ - in my book at least. There might be ´religion type cultural ideas´ though, and certain choices (or ´advances´) in those might help/hinder certain (types of) technologies...

In other words: The cultural tree (part of which would be religion) and the tech tree should be seperate entities. This doesnt mean that they should have no impact on each other, and that there could well be certain cultural ideas (like polytheism) hindering/helping certrain techs (like navigation).

Oh I get it, somewhat like the dual tech-tree in one of the FFH2 mods that allowed you to research spells as well as techs, but in completely separate trees and screens.

I suppose you could have 3 trees, technology, culture and religion, that whilst being separate would also affect each-other by slowing down progress in another tree, removing or adding options.

I've kinda liked the idea that sometimes the options on a tree are not always visible or that researching options opens up new interface options.....actually one of the very few things I liked about sword of the stars, the way the tree(s) worked and that by researching certain techs you would find that you had new interface options.

Perhaps something like when you start the game you have a very basic UI containing only the immediate game options (graphics sound and such-like), unit data and perhaps a couple of other required thing, but you wouldn't even have a mini map or be able to zoom out too far, once you settle your city and reach a certain tech (one not too far away as I reckon it would be a bee-line tech) you'd get a basic map, then later tchs would improve the detail on you map, and give other options to the UI.

hmmm, really need to catch up on this... perhaps this weekend.